More power?

I have a 1986 110 with a 2.5L NAD. It has trouble keeping up with traffic on highways. Speed limits in my part of the country are 100kph or 110kph. In fifth gear, I can only exceed 90kph when going down a hill.

Replacing the engine outright would be expensive, as I'd probably need to ship it from the UK. If this is the only way, then I'll just need to start saving my money.

What I'm really looking for is the oddball approach - nitrous, turbo, the vehicle's own feeling of self worth, etc.

Guest dew110CSW

Simplest swap would be to a TD - Give you a good boost in power and will slot straight into your 2.5 NAD Space

tdi little more work but doable.

V8 well, leave that to debate

Or other makers - Diahatsu, Isuzu, Nissan, Almost anything really.

Stating the obvious have you given the engine a *proper* service? As in checking/adjusting/replacing anything that may need adjusting due to mileage/wear?

The engine was recently rebuilt, and has only 59,000km on it - ever. I'll have a look through the service manual later tonight just to be sure.

Seeing as you stated that an engine swop wasn't the best plan I'd go along with the suggestion to check everything is set up right, serviced etc and then look at the general condition of the engine.

What is the compression like?, head etc?

A new cylinder head and tune up may make the difference you're looking for.

NAD isn't the most powerful engine for a Defender though.

Simplest swap would be to a TD - Give you a good boost in power and will slot straight into your 2.5 NAD Space

tdi little more work but doable.

V8 well, leave that to debate

Or other makers - Diahatsu, Isuzu, Nissan, Almost anything really.

I just found a webpage that lists horsepower, etc:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/enginePwrSpecs.htm

1) I'd like to stay with diesel because it's cheaper to run than petrol

2) I like that the 2.5nad has zero silicon (integrated circuits) - are all of the Land Rover diesel engines the same in this respect?

2) I like that the 2.5nad has zero silicon (integrated circuits) - are all of the Land Rover diesel engines the same in this respect?

2.5 TD is basic, but not the most popular engine and the 200tdi is simple with bugger all electrics to worry about. 300tdi is a bit more comple but not as bad as TD5 with ECUs and associated gubbins.

A 200tdi would be great if you could find one near enough.

Could be worth looking at the VW TDi conversion which is (I think) on the Series forum or maybe in the member's vehicles. You can make a lot of different engines fit in the hole so if you're up for a project pick a good (reliable, cheap, plentiful), locally available unit and go for it. I'm sure the mob on here will offer helpful advice and mickey taking :lol:

you can turn up the fuel settings on an NA diesel just as easily as on a turbo one.

Ben/isuzurover has done this on his old 2a. I'd PM him as I think he ported the head too and he fitted extractors (headers) and a bigger exhaust.

Simplest swap would be to a TD - Give you a good boost in power

No it won't, putting the TD engine in a 110 will make very little difference to performance and will almost certainly give you more problems than a 2.5 N/A will. You would have to push the TD engine hard to appreciate any power difference and this is not a good idea as this engine suffers from heat stress, which cracks pistons.

tpb - if your engine was satisfactory in the past, then perhaps it needs a thorough check over as Fridgefreezer suggests. If you want considerably more power, then consider a different engine, such as the 200TDi conversion/jap diesel/petrol engine that produces more power.

Les.

Here's the plan:

1) I'm going to go through the service manual and check the engine thoroughly in the hope of increasing power.

2) I'm going to start saving money for a 200TDI - it sounds like the best long-term solution.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

you could look into a stage head from Turner Engineering - they seem to make a useful difference to performance. They have some notes from the army rally team on thier website which ran a standard 90 n/a and one with Turners head on - times were much quicker.

I can second that. The Turner head and some fiddling with the fuel adjuster on the pump made a considerable difference on my 2,5 n/a. But the head isn't exactly cheap so saving for a 200Tdi could be a better idea. ;)

I suspect the NA is running OK. We are at 4000 feet here and the altitude takes its toll on the power. Increasing fueling won't help as they are always overfueled up here. At sea level, they go a lot faster. Do you know what transfer gearing that you have? I suspect the 1.6:1, which limits top speed all by itself.

If you would like, contact me and I can have a drive and let you know what I think. I had a 2.5NA for years. I have a 200TDI now and you can take it for a spin and see what you think.

As far as service, about all we can do... replace the air filter and adjust the timing.

There are possible ways to get more power, but most will say the engine can not take it. There is a rebelious young man here in town that thinks it can be done safely and you may want to talk with him... Ahh, yes, here is his thread... http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=12823&hl= Regardless, he is the man to talk with as I'm sure he has driven more 2.5NA than he can remember.

When the 2.5TD superceded the 2.5NAD, Ricardo did a lot of work on the cylinder head to make it flow better, and I believe this same head was fitted to the late 2.5NADs (UK Army LRs etc). That might release a few more ponies but it'll never be a racing engine I'm afraid. Bloody good workhorse though, I'd stick with it and enjoy the scenery more.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nice long chat, look and drive of the 110 today. Power feels pretty normal. Smokes seems OK. As stated, the 1.6 transfer case limits the top speed. It may not be reving as freely as it should, but is hard to determine without a tach. I think it is a bit retarded. Advancing the timing may free up some top end.

Engine speed 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 3500 3850

R 3.7007 21.82615869 7 10 14 17 20 24 26

1 3.985 23.50291631 6 9 13 16 19 22 24

2 2.519 14.85667407 10 15 20 25 30 35 38

3 1.5074 8.89041306 17 25 33 42 50 58 64

4 1 5.897846 25 38 50 63 75 88 96

5 0.8314 4.903469164 30 45 60 75 90 105 116

Above is the speed in gears for that gear setup. As you can see redline in 5th is 116 km/h. I had it up to 100 km/h (by GPS) which is pushing the rev limits.

On other things, he desperately need window felt and such. What are the cheap options for fixing up the sliding windows?

Here's the plan:

1) I'm going to go through the service manual and check the engine thoroughly in the hope of increasing power.

2) I'm going to start saving money for a 200TDI - it sounds like the best long-term solution.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

HI TPB.

It sounds like the right long term plan, if however you want to fiddle a bit, here is what I have done in the past both to 2,5 and 2,25.

A good free flow airfilter ie K&N either in the original box or straight on the inletmanifold(if you can cope with the noise).

The above gives normaly room for a bit off tweak on the pump plus it can give a bit better milage if you continue to drive as before and only use the little extra when needed.

Then the wild thing, I have with great succes ported both 2,5 and 2,25 heads with big flow improvements actually so much so that we have been able to increase fuel by, now hold on 15% with even less smoke that std, the 15% is a fact since it was done when I had the pump recalibrated at a Pumpshop.

On the 2,25 I also fitted a 2,5" free flow exhaust.

I know that all off this will take money from the savings, but to me it was allso a matter off experience and curiosity.

If you need more detail just PM me.

Kind regards

Ole.