Ultimate Land rover Show

pugwash

Remember, one man's proper off roading is another man's potential law suit.

The bulk of Billingites are not forumeers, they are Mr and Mrs J Public and the kids. To them the Billing off road course is as tough as it gets.

The highest per capita rate of recreational off roaders is in the West Country. So for us to come to Kirton (for example) it needs to be worth it. What with fuel and entry, booze, food and repairs, that's a few hundred quid for the weekend.

I would drive to Kirton - hell I go to Langley Farm when I get the chance; but I go because it's worth it.

Next year I have a pass out for Billing but I would be tempted to go to War and Peace instead as it will cost me less and I will have more fun. If I don't go then I have my pass out to use somewhere else, like LRW or The Llama Extreme 4x4 Extraveganza. So with the choice of one show/festival for the whole year it needs to be worth it - get the drift? I would estimate that I am in the majority of 4x4 type folks when it comes to money/time

Rambling Over

Which is precisely what this thread is stating (between the lines), there is an obvious requirement for a second tier show which caters for the more experienced (daring?) off road enthusiast.

And honestly, If you travel that far for Langley and think its worth it (yes Ive been) then you are going be in awe of Kirton off road facilites, and perhaps we can at least match the enthusiasm?

[quote

Next year I have a pass out for Billing but I would be tempted to go to War and Peace instead as it will cost me less and I will have more fun. If I don't go then I have my pass out to use somewhere else, like LRW or The Llama Extreme 4x4 Extraveganza. So with the choice of one show/festival for the whole year it needs to be worth it - get the drift? I would estimate that I am in the majority of 4x4 type folks when it comes to money/time

Rambling Over

Not quite sure I will be calling it the Extreme 4x4 Extravaganza ( though it has a nice ring to it ) as I am not sure the offroading available is extreme -but it is about 8 miles long though so will keep the normal ( non hardcore ) offroaders happy for an hour or two each day.

The location is fairly central ( a little West i suppose ) but the journeu from a Birmingham postacode is only just over an hour so it is not unreasonable to ask people to come out this way and as posted elsewhere the journey down from the Northwest is a doddle.

David

[quote

Rambling Over

Not quite sure I will be calling it the Extreme 4x4 Extravaganza ( though it has a nice ring to it ) as I am not sure the offroading available is extreme -but it is about 8 miles long though so will keep the normal ( non hardcore ) offroaders happy for an hour or two each day.

The location is fairly central ( a little West i suppose ) but the journeu from a Birmingham postacode is only just over an hour so it is not unreasonable to ask people to come out this way and as posted elsewhere the journey down from the Northwest is a doddle.

David

It's in my diary okay!

Remember, one man's proper off roading is another man's potential law suit.

The bulk of Billingites are not forumeers, they are Mr and Mrs J Public and the kids. To them the Billing off road course is as tough as it gets.

More than enough space at kirton to run a girly, one way, cotton wool lined track for the newbys.

And still have 300+ acres for the rest of us, unless of course you prefere the cotton wool Dave?

More than enough space at kirton to run a girly, one way, cotton wool lined track for the newbys.

And still have 300+ acres for the rest of us, unless of course you prefere the cotton wool Dave?

I do, what I'd like is some flat dry tarmac, with maybe some 4" curbstones to negotiate and a slight incline made from ribbed concrete

It would be just like the Billing offroad course then

I find cotton wool a bit rough. I prefer satin or worst case pure lambs wool. Does kirton have any tarmac sections? I hate it when my spinners get muddy

I find cotton wool a bit rough. I prefer satin or worst case pure lambs wool. Does kirton have any tarmac sections? I hate it when my spinners get muddy

Even better there is 40' of the site that will more than supass your needs.

An all steel wieghbridge.

Of course if needed it could be painted, if the feel of steel is too hard for ones tastes.

The reason I know it works at Billing is that last year when I was marshalling two of the other marshalls / mates decided to weigh ALF on its own and then with me in it to check my weight - cheeky buggers. :huh:

Mike,

I have no idea! It infuriates me that attitude that anywhere north of the M4 is too far north stinks! How about the poor so and so's from the lakes/scotland that spend a small fortune in fuel to get to billing or eastnor. If another show does come on the scene and its in the south west then count me out on a point of principal! It just seems the general attitude of anyone living in the south that the world revolves around them. the national stadium being in the most inaccessible place possible is another southern idea!

I think the best show was the National 4x4 show at Trentham Gardens, ok Trentham has now closed but the Middle of england is a far distance between futhest south of England and southern scotland. Too be honest I'd happily travel 100miles north for a good show as I think everything is too far south.

Right time to climb off my soap box and hide behind the sofa ducking low flying objects from the south!

Matt

:lol::lol:

There is a sign on the M3 in Winchester which reads THE NORTH and a big arrow.....

which always makes me laugh as it in only 12miles from Southampton water.

Billing is 120 miles due north as it is for most of the Shires, SAD, SCOR and Wessex hill runners.

Peterbough is 140 miles north

Donnington is a 3-4 hour drive and I live 400m away from the M3

My racing the closest race meeting was mid Wales which was 5-6 hour drive then 6-8hr Driftfeild, Ellsmear 6-8hr , Scotland Castle O'er 10-12hr drive which you finish at 5pm then hop in the truck loaded with the race car and all your tools to drive home then up at 5am ready to go to work Monday morning.

You have a point but a southern comp safari in a 30-40 car event but a NORC is 70-80 car race meeting so there are plenty of people competing up there.

Challenging took off in a big way down south because of the very hard work that a few hard core chaps did and there clubs backed tham helping it all to take off but everything else happens a in the north FACT

Me and the wife started the beaulieu 4x4 show because I got the hump with always driving for

hours and hour to go to shows and events

Guest diesel_jim
Lastly - get Starbucks/Costa coffee on site! Previous years at Billing there has been a coffee shop - but I missed it this year.

Si

I agree Si... the first thing i did when i left Billing the other week was stop at the services on the M1 and get a large latte!!!

/homer voice/

Hmmmm.... latte....... :D:D:D:D