Axle upgrade/strengthening

muddy

While i have my back axle out i have welded a peice of 6mm plate along the length of the crownwheel 'ridge'. i might cover the rest of the pan with 6mm but what other upgrades/mods can you reccamend, i seem to recall HFH mentioning about his back axle and a few others talk of brake pipe protectors ect. Dont care what it is aslong i dont have to buy anything to do it ie i have a big pile of steel and a welder so fire away :D

Cheers, Will.

Cheers, is that solid bar or tube? if i bent a peice of tube up with a larger ID the the brake pipes ID then put a 'slit' along one side you the brake pipe sat inside it would surley that would protect it more?

Cheers, is that solid bar or tube? if i bent a peice of tube up with a larger ID the the brake pipes ID then put a 'slit' along one side you the brake pipe sat inside it would surley that would protect it more?

Yes. that would protect more. but will fill width all kinds of mind, and will be next to impossible to get out en start to rot......

Cheers Bowy with brake pipe protectors

Looks like solid bar to me.

Your split tube idea would not be as strong. Would protect against flying stones, but not against large branches driven against the brake line.

You could reinforce the a-frame ball joint bracket,

Remanufacture the trailing arm brackets,

Add some tie down points for easier straping down in transit,

You could even shave it a bit, there's about 10mm more clearance to be had if you try,

Then have it galvanised and powder coated before refitting

You could reinforce the a-frame ball joint bracket,

Remanufacture the trailing arm brackets,

Add some tie down points for easier straping down in transit,

You could even shave it a bit, there's about 10mm more clearance to be had if you try,

Then have it galvanised and powder coated before refitting

Cheers dan those are more of the things i was looking for.

i have already ripped the a frame bracket off during use so am now building a new a frame and x member with a 360 degree swivel joint

how prone to bending snapping are the brackets? i only run small tyres so i might leave them till i snap em ;)

Thanks i think they are on the list now

I cba shaving as i want toyota axles or portals lol

Galvenised and powder coated! no ta that costs money :blink::ph34r: cant afford stuff like that being 16 :lol:

Cheers to all who have replied

Cheers dan those are more of the things i was looking for.

i have already ripped the a frame bracket off during use so am now building a new a frame and x member with a 360 degree swivel joint

how prone to bending snapping are the brackets? i only run small tyres so i might leave them till i snap em ;)

Thanks i think they are on the list now

I cba shaving as i want toyota axles or portals lol

Galvenised and powder coated! no ta that costs money :blink::ph34r: cant afford stuff like that being 16 :lol:

Cheers to all who have replied

The trailing arm brackets on the back axle suffer from corrosion and can tear off.

You'd be shocked how cheap powder coating is :)

Be interested to see the 360 joint.

y would u want to powder coat an axle ?

doesnt water stay trapped behind it if it gets scratched

would of fort the axle was the 1st thing to be scratched when off roading

certainly did on my wheels - chipped a couple of places and within months the wheels looked a right state. :angry:

The trailing arm brackets on the back axle suffer from corrosion and can tear off.

seen this happen on a gentle grerenlaning run. Lucky noone was killed as he was going very slowly! We inspected the bracket afterwards and could clearly see it was nothing to do with rot either as it had only light surface rust - but the welding was ATROCIOUS with virtually no penetration. Typical landrover build quality. Was very lucky it didnt fail whilst driving round a corner sharpish between the lanes we were driving!

certainly did on my wheels - chipped a couple of places and within months the wheels looked a right state. :angry:

Always wondered y people have cages powder coated

back on topic

seen a few axles that have had angle iron added from the a frame joint running along

the long shaft supposed to stop the long side bending

A friend welded in internal reenforcing tubes that are braced/guseted at the hub end and diff end of each side. The look like they will really stiffen the whole casing up but I really don't know if they are really worth added or not. I was a case of he owed me a favor and sugested this, it looks cool anyway.