Hmmmmmm Spring ID...again !

Hybrid_From_Hell

Me again,

Well I have have the 2x rear springs that I was wondering about buying...

Bought them cos they were cheap, virtaully new and worth a try as they are long, and look a good length / possibility ??...............

the only problem is I really do not know the part number and what they are from, and even more imprtnatly the poundgaes !

What I do know is :

1.) They are genuine LR - they still have PART of the sticker NTC xxxx ??.

2.) the Spring are a pair the colours are YELLOW ORANGE PINK, could be yellow red pink, but think Orange ??

3.) Length is 415mm

4.) 9 Coils.

5.) all coils are 16.5mm thick, and it is definatelty a Progressive spring.

6.) POSSIBLY off a 200 TDI Disco.?

So, can anyone PLEASE Identify the spring ratings and part number ?

Nige :rolleyes:

I have been out and looked very very carefull.....

I have swabbed off the mud of the sticker, now am really close.

NTC85xx .............the xx has just gone....but can't be too difficult now...

Just going onto my "Home" <ahem> version of Micropussy for a lookie :rolleyes:

Any ideas of part number / poundage / LR Fitement ????

Nige

I don't have any data in my database. Tell you what.

1) Snap a picture of one so I can see the progression design.

2) Carefully count the coils, be as exact as possible.

3) Carefully measure the coil diameter with something accurate. Measure up/down and side/side as the forming process slightly ovallizes the coils.

Based on iformation you provided so far, it is similar to NRC9462/3 but longer. It is important though to get an accurate coil diameter as that affects things quite a bit.

Nige, found this in EPC

part number NTC8572 Discovery from VIN JA015479 to KA038877 LHD rear passenger side

--- and ----- NTC8573 -------------------------------------------------------------- driver ---------

--- and ----- NTC8572 --------------------------------------------------- RHD ----- both sides

hope that helps

:D

Hi western, doesn't give paint stripe codes does it ?

RED90....

Heres the data and pics.

Length - 415mm

Coils 9.5 of them

16.6-17.2mm coils.

Coils are tight at the bottom, as an example.

Bottom to 1st say 17mm, 1st to 2nd is then wider at say 20mm next 30mm and then up from thereon are all 40mm

Has NTC 85?? on label.....

Ideas please !

Heres the pics :

thing029Medium.jpg

thing030Medium.jpg

Thanks all

Nige

I think they are Discrubbery rears prob the NTC8572 mentioned which go on the back of a very old Disco, I don't think any of the Discos have dual rate springs on the front and they certainly do on the back cos I had a set on my old old 90, was also what I was looking for to put on the back of the new 90 but none available here ATM

Nige I found this and this which would seem to indicate NTC8572 are wot u got...

They're NTC8572 ok which is just what I bought from the dealer and have on the front of my truck.

They superceed the old red/pink NTC5527 Disco V8 rears.

I will assume 16.5 mm which only makes sense for the Disco rear. This gives 210 lb/in until the tighter two coils touch, which will be after around 5" of compression. Once the lower two coils are touching you go to about 290 lb/in.

The usual idea for these things is with the rig unloaded all coils are free and the lower spring rate in in place. When you load the truck up it should be enough to close the tight coils and increase the spring rate. IMO, it works well for most people who want to use the vehicle for play and work. It isn't the best for pure off roading as you tend to want a lighter rate throughout travel to get more travel.

AHBugger.............

If what you think it right (and it prob is) then although better than what I have now, it won't be as good as I can get to.......

Waiting for a few bits before the great spring changing contest (again) but they may still get a look in as thety are better than what I have now, would be interesting to see how they perform against what I have now, and I do have them, and they were stupid cheap for the pair...

On the otherhand if tommorrow at Old Sod I can find a pair of Green & yellows or Pink and Purples they could be 2nd or 3rd choice of fitment :D

Thnaks for all the help everyone.... much appreacited

Nige

I will assume 16.5 mm which only makes sense for the Disco rear. This gives 210 lb/in until the tighter two coils touch, which will be after around 5" of compression. Once the lower two coils are touching you go to about 290 lb/in.

The usual idea for these things is with the rig unloaded all coils are free and the lower spring rate in in place. When you load the truck up it should be enough to close the tight coils and increase the spring rate. IMO, it works well for most people who want to use the vehicle for play and work. It isn't the best for pure off roading as you tend to want a lighter rate throughout travel to get more travel.

That would explain why I'm so chuffed with the balance of my truck but why when I ramp it I'm left feeling I could benefit from softer springs as it reaches max articulation.

Trev,

glad to be of help mi7.gifmi7.gifmi7.gifmi7.gifmi7.gif

Nige

Ha Ha Ha :D

Now means I'm looking for more info on a set of NTC3285 (green/pinks). Little softer while the extra inch might help keep them retained on full droop but keep the static ride height.

Do you want another pair of NTC8572 ?