Mud Flaps

paradigm shift

I'm missing a mudflap on my 110 so I've reached a crucial decision! :D

Do I replace the mudflap, or do I remove them all? I've noticed the other weekend that a lot of people don't have them, yet I would have thought they do a good job keeping muck off the underside of the vehicle (at least a little? ) or do they not really help once you get into the sticky stuff properly and perhaps stop the wheels from throwing off mud from their treads?

I find they do a good job of keeping muck of the bodywork, but they do tend to get ripped off when reversing off road. On my old 90 I trimmed the mud flaps so they couldn't get gripped against the tyres and ripped off, IIRC I toock abouot 4"-6" off them and they still done a decent job of keeping the truck clean.

First thing I do on my vehicles when I get them is chisel them all off because...

a) They get ripped off anyway every time you have to reverse into/over/through something interesting

b ) on unsurfaced roads frankly they make F all difference, the vehicle is going to get covered in clay anyway

c) it is about 4 square feet less of cleaning to do (8 if you count both sides) whenever the pressure washer is called upon :)

If you do want to keep them on though, one thing I have seen some people here do is put a small U-bolt through almost at the bottom of the flap to make a "ring" at the back, then when you go off road you can get a small bungee cord and tie them up out of the way, works quite well to avoid damage.

a) They get ripped off anyway every time you have to reverse into/over/through something interesting

b ) on unsurfaced roads frankly they make F all difference, the vehicle is going to get covered in clay anyway

c) it is about 4 square feet less of cleaning to do (8 if you count both sides) whenever the pressure washer is called upon :)

If you do want to keep them on though, one thing I have seen some people here do is put a small U-bolt through almost at the bottom of the flap to make a "ring" at the back, then when you go off road you can get a small bungee cord and tie them up out of the way, works quite well to avoid damage.

a :lol:

b :lol:

c :lol:

You could fitt them were they are on a 1985 90 which is level with the outer face of the cross member this if far enough away from the tyre for it not to catch when reversing. Why they moved them back I don't know

You could fitt them were they are on a 1985 90 which is level with the outer face of the cross member this if far enough away from the tyre for it not to catch when reversing. Why they moved them back I don't know

You can, but b ) and c) still apply :) :) :)

A mud flap when you are doing 50mph+ on wet unsurfaced clay roads, is about as effective as putting a set of 99p plastic protective goggles on when somebody is about to shoot you in the face with a howitzer at point blank range :)

The only good thing about them is on a road with lots of loose gravel, they do stop a lot of the stones pinging out of the tyres and removing windscreen/lights etc from the vehicle behind :unsure:

Ok guys lots of good info there, I think they'll come off at the weekend, along with the side steps too (which are seized because they never get used!). Over time I can see everything possible being removed from the underside, just more things to get broken and more things to clean..

You can, but b ) and c) still apply :) :) :)

A mud flap when you are doing 50mph+ on wet unsurfaced clay roads, is about as effective as putting a set of 99p plastic protective goggles on when somebody is about to shoot you in the face with a howitzer at point blank range :)

The only good thing about them is on a road with lots of loose gravel, they do stop a lot of the stones pinging out of the tyres and removing windscreen/lights etc from the vehicle behind :unsure:

But...they do look "cool" :)

105 or 155 or some dodgy bit of kit down your way?

Argies had some 155s, I think our lot probably have some 105s stowed away somewhere just in case they come back! Not sure the difference would be noticeable when viewed through 99p plastic goggles though :blink:

Never played with any of them but I was allowed a go with a 66mm LAW on my 10th birthday (Nov 82) that was quite a cool pressie for a young lad B)

massive thread hijack ahead, but hey..... :rolleyes:

not sure about our 105s, but the argies definetly had 105's there - practically the same as ours in fact

And LAW is old news - JAVELIN is the way forward!! No way you'd catch me in a tracked tin can these days... :blink:

McS