Wing tops and bonnet chequer plate

Boot

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on fitting chequer plate to wing tops and bonnet of my '99 110 CSW TD5. I've taken delivery today of 3mm deluxe plates from paddockspares. The 'fitting kit' was slightly lacking in ideas of how to/whether to seal body work where drilled and seal panels to to body, however I've bought some very sqaushy rubber window seal to put around the inside edge of each panel.

The major problem I seem to have, is that I cannot get my hands down to the front of the wings above the headlights easily on either side of the engine bay, but the panels require screwing down in four places forward of the air intake covers. Sillily I thought this would be an hours work.

I'd really appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks in advance.

Boot.

I used clear silicone sealant & rivets to hold my wingtop tread plates on my '89 110.

Welcome to LR4x4 :D

Thanks for the fast response western. These panels have pre-drilled counter sunk holes, so I would like to use appropriate screws washers and nuts to fix on.

I fitted these using the countersunk bolts and nuts supplied without problem, may have temporarily removed some brackets etc to get hand in but it was a while back so can't remember. I may even have taken the headlights out but I'm not sure. Didn't bother with any sealants etc.

Rivets would look wrong with the thicker plate with pre drilled countersunk holes unless you got countersunk rivets.

Removing both wing top vents, give access to the underside, no problem

Just fitted a genuine set to the 07, these are foam backed, and fixed down with countersunk rivnuts, however have used countersunk bolts on the leading edges !!

Thanks guys.

I removed the vent covers, which did make access slightly easier. Appreciate the advice about removing lights, think that could be the easiest way forward. If the weather clears up, I think I'll try that tonight. Otherwise it might be a job that can wait until the weekend.

Gareth

I just put Genuine ones on my new 110 on Monday, the LR instructions tell you to take the headlights out which is what I did on the LH side, on the RH side I just unbolted the fuel filter (300Tdi) and moved it to one side to allow access.

You could get correct diameter countersunk pop rivets in black from engineering merchant, or use countersunk screws supplied and secure them with Rivnuts which will allow you to fit them without getting access to rear of panels.

As regards sealing between two panels...each surface would be painted, and so could use a jointing compound that keeps them apart(Id not use bath sealant etc), but RTV or proper rubber sealant, spread thinly not in large beads which allow gaps.

If foam is used then it needs to be type that does not hold water.

IHMO of course...

Welcome Boot - I recognise a certain ford in your avatar :) I used to live near Ashbourne.

Aha, yes. 'Tis Tissington, so 'tis. Autumn, our 11 week old daughter has now made 13 ford crossings over 8 different fords. The most recent being a weir on the River Coquet at Warkworth, Northumberland.

Haven't fit the chequer plate yet, but have finally narrowed sealant down to Geocel Crystal Clear Seal & Fix

Thanks for the help folks!

Gareth