2.5 TurboD

GBMUD

What experience has anyone got of these? I have heard horror stories about head gaskets but are there any real worries? I would prefer to hear about real, first hand experiences if possible but failing that any information will do.

How fast are these engines in RRs? I guess they do not have the power of the Tdi but are they up to the job? I will be towing a caravan from time to time.

Finally, I will only buy this car if it is a bargain. What would anyone guess is a reasonable price to pay? It has 90k on the clock, 6 months tax, 12 months MOT and a cloth interior. The bodywork looked OK but I did not inspect it in detail.

Thanks

Chris

PS. Posted here as I am looking for a quick response.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Les. :P

I thought you were referring to the 2.5TD engine that is in early 90/110's.

I've had a lot of problems with my one, but to be fair it looks like it almost seized, so it probably did well to continue working. I've actually never worked on, or even looked at the VM engine. Isn't it supposed to a huge great big lump of metal or something?

Les :)

Two VM TDs - one is 2,4 the other is 2.5

Power wise they leave the Tdi in the weeds as the turbo comes in at very low rpm

Parts are cheap except for the Turbo it's self

Problems with poor maintenance, poor repairs due to complexity and THEY NEED TO BE COOL!

Don't thrash them either

Classic RR's are worth sod all at the moment eg N regsoft dash with 147K 2grand eg E reg 3.5efi with 116K very tidy 600 notes

Thanks Dave. The guy said he wants £1500 for it, I wondered about offering a little less. Perhaps Bish has a point about buying a V8 and spending the change on petrol. Mind you, I suspect that 1500 miles with the caravan in tow will see off the price difference in one hit! :)

Chris

Thanks Dave. The guy said he wants £1500 for it, I wondered about offering a little less. Perhaps Bish has a point about buying a V8 and spending the change on petrol. Mind you, I suspect that 1500 miles with the caravan in tow will see off the price difference in one hit! :)

Chris

£1500?! He's dreaming!!

As above they just arent worth the money. I know of a soft dash with replacement engine and box (300 auto) for a little under 3k.

I will be keeping the 90 either way, just looking for an estate family car with the guts to tow the caravan, ideally for under a grand. I have been looking at Volvos, Carltons but nothing worth the money yet. A decent Tdi RR for 3k would do me nicely though... :)

Chris