Raise Air Intake Q's

Hi all,

Right whilst i make my mind up on the suspension decisions i am also going to fit a raised air intake. First of all which type do you recommend and what are the differences ie mushroom tops and safaris also could anyone give me a guide for fitting. Cant find one on the technical archive. What measures do you lot go to to make everything water tight (remove pipe work and replace with a thin bead of silicone???) Also i want to extend all the breathers (4 in total??) what pipe is best to use for this can i am guessing you can buy it from somewhere other than 4x4 places as its only pipe surely!!

Cheers in advance sorry again for the newbie q's hopefully one day i will be helping someone else!!

Excellent thread bog monster, so if you seal the air box up as tight as possible and seal all the pipe work from the air intake it should be ok?? Is that the best way to test it by bloking the snorkel and letting the engine starve of air??

Driving home through torrential rain last night, I couldn't help thinking a forward facing intake (cf Safari snorkel) would just collect water.

The volume of spray being kicked up to roof height would have made it inevitable that quite a bit made it in through the intake. Has anyone ever had that problem with a Safari?

I would therefore have thought that a rear facing intage or mushroom top would be best. Although you lose the ram-effect of a forward facing intake, I can't believe that this makes any difference this side of the turbo.

You commented on water getting into the Raised Air Intake, but has anyone ever had any problems when they haven't turned it round?

I was washing my Defender the other day and realised that water was going into the air intake... where does this go is there some sort of drain that needs to be sealed up when you fit a snorkle? :rolleyes:

Yes there is a drain at the lowest point of the standard intake system which definitely needs sealing up if you intend to submerge it as its only a silly rubber flap. Details are in the thread linked above, in the tech archive.

I run my Safaris facing forwards and I haven't had problems. It does suck more dust than the old Rebel snorkel with the swirl pot on top though. Not enough to bother me here.

I figure that the Safari design must tend to collect water in the bottom of the snorkel body, it has runoff channels around the edge of the snorkel top so that water which goes in at high speed (eg driving in rain) in theory will woosh round the back of the snorkel top and run out the drain channels around the edge, but if you were pressure washing or something then I would think some water is inevitable. What happens to it, I'm not sure, but I'd suggest it would need to be a fair amount to cause any problem. If you are driving into heavy rain you can certainly see the water dribbling out the drain channels.

Safari snorkel intake rams have a water disengagement system to prevent rain from entering the intake.

air_ram1.jpg

All Safari Charge Air Rams feature a highly effective water separator system built right into the air ram in order to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms.

Yeah that is what I was trying to say - a picture is worth a thousand words :D

You did mention that you needed to be going fast for it to work..... However, the speed of air inside the ram is is a function of the amount of air the engine is sucking, not the speed of the vehicle.

You did mention that you needed to be going fast for it to work..... However, the speed of air inside the ram is is a function of the amount of air the engine is sucking, not the speed of the vehicle.

Good point! I guess the fact that the vehicle is moving forwards at speed would tend to drive the rain into the ram though, whereas rain falling straight down on the vehicle if it was not moving (to use an extreme example) should in theory miss the snorkel intake completely due to the shape, unless it gets sucked back upwards by the airflow.

However it works, it definitely does because you can see it when driving along in rain. I've always wondered if there was water in the bottom of my snorkel body but don't feel like drilling a hole in it to check...