FAO Fridge, Simon R, BBC...

honitonhobbit

I am a little confused - but enough of that!

Okay, lap top needs in excess of 70 watts to operate. I have a 12volt power scourse that will supply upto 2000mA. Will that work? Yes I know I could scour the net for a simple chart, but I have limited access tot he net, I have to work, yaddah, yaddah. Asking politely for advice is quicker.

Thanks guys

So you need a 12V Adapter capable of dishing out just under 6A? Thats going to be a struggle...

Why not try a cheap inverter and plug your mains power supply into it?

Alternatly try getting the dedicated car supply for the laptop - I found one on eBlag for my Dell...

Just a thought.. ;)

Mark

So you need a 12V Adapter capable of dishing out just under 6A? Thats going to be a struggle...

Why not try a cheap inverter and plug your mains power supply into it?

Alternatly try getting the dedicated car supply for the laptop - I found one on eBlag for my Dell...

Just a thought.. ;)

Mark

Already got a cheap inverter but I was looking to simplify things a tadge. I shall also try option two...

Fridge - keep talking me old mucker

Fridge - keep talking me old mucker

So do you need 12v into the laptop in a car-type environment? If so, it may be able to put up with in-car direct voltages (~12v-15v), plug in the laptop adapter and measure the voltage on the end with no laptop, it may well drift up to 15v with no load, in which case I'd say go for it and just wire direct from a cig lighter plug to a laptop plug and cut out all the faffing about in the middle. Toughbooks will run on anything from ~9v upwards even though their specs say they need 18.

If running under voltage you usually just find that battery doesn't charge.

When using my old Tosh's in the car I just wire them direct. I think battery is 10V and main power supply puts out 15 or 18V, I can't quite remember, anyway it's happy enough on car voltages.