Tractor Tyre Vs Bogger debate

Bull Bar Cowboy

Deepmud (Eric) has a chance to purchase the tractor tyres complete with bead locked rims he was testing on his Zuk/Toy/LR/Pug Hybrid ………………or should he stick with the 39 inch boggers :unsure: ………………answers on a postcard ….

Personally I would say go with the directional tractor tyres ............ but hey ........... thats a nice choice to have.......... :rolleyes:

2007-04-17-013.jpg

p7125088.jpg

:)

Ian

Hey guys :D

Yeah - all my tires run low psi - I think in the pic my Boggers are at 5 psi? The sidewalls don't start to bulge much until just before totally flat - the whole thing is still likely under 3000 pounds and might be below 2500, but I get overly optimistic when I run numbers in my head, lol. The tractor tires are just a few psi too.

If I keep the boggers, they get this cut, that I found on the Ladoga page:

4ccs11h.jpg

I like the pattern both for helping the Bogger flex, and for extra sidehill traction. And they look a bit more like my old x-terrain terras in 31x15.5

7_10_2004%20017small.jpg

akminingndiving.jpg

terra01.jpg

Now there is a tire I'd love to have in a 38" to 40" x 20 size. Even 35" would be great. I miss those things.

Running the Boggers thru soft mud on my property, in a 40 foot mudhole with 10" of soft goop at the bottom, the tractors walked thu in 2wd. The Boggers, also 2wd, started to dig and eventually packed up, and sat, spinning. Light rev of the motor, the Boggers spun clean and climbed out. I prefer the idling, non-spinning style of driving.

However:

After more communications with Logjam, I realized he would need to make another set of wheels and buy more tires if I buy his - given that he tends to work on multiple projects at the same time, and has trouble with completion on most of them, he wouldn't have wheels/tires until next fall :D I told him I'll just keep my Boggers for now, and he needs to work on getting his Suzuki Sidekick based buggy going.

So next I'll get to see how the "Ladoga Cut" works :D

P.S. Yes, the front end needs some protection, a bumper, a brushguard, and way to mount my winch. ;)

I thought Tractor tyres were band on some sites

sites? like forums? So not to seem "evironmentally unfriendly? Or competions? I'm not competing, I'm traveling in some of the last wide open spaces in America. Russia would be more wide open but that's just a dream for now, that I vicariously live thru Jez :D

Save the weight Eric - cut the B's big, tractors are cool but they cut the thin crust sooooooooo much - the nightwolf crew (blue proto in the pic) run flat flat psi with that cut and its a swamp monster B)

can you ping me Grants email addy? got some FTP stuff for him :)

you could always try Simex :lol:

Save the weight Eric - cut the B's big, tractors are cool but they cut the thin crust sooooooooo much - the nightwolf crew (blue proto in the pic) run flat flat psi with that cut and its a swamp monster B)

can you ping me Grants email addy? got some FTP stuff for him :)

you could always try Simex :lol:

Thanks Jez - knowing they work well in the peat bogs helps me. I ran those small terras at zero-to-.5 psi and they squished out huge - at 3 psi, they were still big, and I literally drove around a buggy that had punched thru the top layer and was sitting on his axle - he was on 36x15 Swampers - of course, super-light Zuk stuff helps a lot there. But I figure the "nightwolf cut" :D will allow the Bogger to flex great, and I could use bead-screws again like I had on the Terras.

Grant says I can try his Ag tires still since his rig isn't built yet :D so I may even get some back-to-back comparisons. Like lots of things, I am sure there are comprimises with each tire - it will be cool to be able to try both.

But for now, the tractors are borrowed, and boggers are mine, and need to be cut :D

I ran those small terras at zero-to-.5 psi and they squished out huge - at 3 psi, and I could use bead-screws again like I had on the Terras.

Hi Eric, how do bead screws work? As you say above to get the best out of Terra 's they do need to be 0-5psi and I agree , if they were available in 38/ 40" dia 20" wide we wouldn't need to talk about any other tyres :P . I had 11.50 x 31 x 15 terra's on my V8 90 years ago and they were superb offroad grip in all directions at 10-12psi , no beadlocking needed either.

Is there enough interest to have events where you are similar to Ladoga/ Baltic Challenge series? there must be plenty of space/land to do it? Not that I'm close enough to drop in but just wondered :)

Cheers

Steveb

Hi Eric, how do bead screws work? As you say above to get the best out of Terra 's they do need to be 0-5psi and I agree , if they were available in 38/ 40" dia 20" wide we wouldn't need to talk about any other tyres :P . I had 11.50 x 31 x 15 terra's on my V8 90 years ago and they were superb offroad grip in all directions at 10-12psi , no beadlocking needed either.

Is there enough interest to have events where you are similar to Ladoga/ Baltic Challenge series? there must be plenty of space/land to do it? Not that I'm close enough to drop in but just wondered :)

Cheers

Steveb

The beadscrews on my old tires were great - but leaked a little :D They were installed by the previous owner, and I think they went a little overboard - they went in both horizontal, and vertical, right into the beads with drag-race screws, to the tune of about 165 screws by the time they did the inner and outer beads. There is a thread on Pirage4x4 about using self-tapping screws, only in the vertical, and not into the beads but just inside, to hold the bead tight from slipping, while not destroying the tire and making it so you couldn't dismount it. I think I may try it again - I'm a big fan of crazy-low psi and I had losing a bead :D I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what I can to do with these cut boggers.

Alaska is pretty much locked up as far as comps go. We have some really great trails for hunting, and maybe a someday a long trail could be made into a comp of some sort, but currenty the perception of the folks running things is that the bigger the rig, the more damage it does, so more trails are getting closed to 4x4s while the small ATVs are still threading out the bogs wider and wider. There aren't any private lands open for comps, and while there are vast public areas, not so much is open for off-roading. Certainly not the wide-open, go for broke Ladoga style.

If someone DID happen to visit, we could arrange a good long trail ride - some of the locals run in 100 miles or more - I've been on a 35-40 mile loop in a long day :D