glow plug

clem

Well now ive gone an done it.that 5min job replacing a simple glow plug in 200tdi engine and its SNAPPED! Any advice on removing the rest of the plug would be helpful.Going to try a stud extracter but its tight.Feel like taking a hammer to the engine but i will hold off for now.

Hi

it depends where it snapped , I broke one a while ago flush with the head.

Rather than remove the head to get the bits out I just bypassed it and pressed on with no problems.

They normally start without any heat so 3 working is enough.

Mine lasted a couple of years before the new owner finaly fixed it!

I've watched a car dealer drill one out

not nice for the new owner of the Jeep cherokee

I was just thinking about this some more and there would be no way to prevent the heater tip from falling into the cylinder. That can't be a good thing.

I'd pull the head. Fairly straightforward on this style of engine.

Whilst working on a merc e300 td for my boss the glow plugs were faulty , guess what 3 got stuck solid and broke just flush , attempted to drill them out but really it was slow and it was bound to cause damage .found it quicker to remove the head problem was the carbon build up on the basically wedging them from the inside so id suggest giving the car a good drive just to have the block warmer and slightly expanded which always helps

I've stopped using stud extractors, well the kind that are tapered anyway. I find they split the stud more than often.

I now use a carefully chosen Torx Bit, drill the hole hammer the bit in and hopefully it winds out.

That or if I can get in there, weld a nut on, which I know might not be the easiest of things to do in this case

Sorry to here this mate! happened to me on a Isuzu engine simple 2 min job I even bought a torque wrench to do the job right! In the end I drilled it out, it wasn't pretty, the glow tip fell in the the head but I took the injector off and managed to get it out! with some help from a friend. Used a Dremal drill like I said it wasn't pretty! Just enough thread to get a good grip for tyhe new plug.

Ted

I was just thinking about this some more and there would be no way to prevent the heater tip from falling into the cylinder. That can't be a good thing.

I'd pull the head. Fairly straightforward on this style of engine.

Having just had to replace a Td5 engine at work because the end came off a non-genuine glow plug and fell into the cylinder while the engine was running, I can confirm that it is indeed Not A Good Thing... piston and head were scrap, when dismantled we found that there was a crack in one of the cylinder bores as well so got an engine from Equicar and dumped the old one.