Tube benders

will_warne

I'm seriously thinking about getting myself a tube bender but I was wanting some advice before I splash out. Although I may well end up having someone make the cage there are a lot of other bits and pieces I really need to do myself because I'll probably end up changing my mind halfway through and some involve some very major work on the vehicle that'll make it very hard to move about. As far as tube spec goes I don't want to use BB - its seamless all the way.

From the research I've done Tubela seem to have a good reputation. What size formers do they tend to come with? Where's best to buy them and what sort of price are they?

These also seemed quite good. Does anyone have any opinions? Is there anything better?

Cheers,

JD2 Model 3 and using BendTech software to make designing bits easier. Popular in the States and seen on Pirate alot.

Simple to use and Tubela can supply you with the Bender and Die sets for Pipe or Tube and Square. Upto 2" Tube, no metric dies though, off the shelf. Whomever i spoke to at Tubela rated them too, and was a helpful chappy.

http://www.jd2.com/

http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/cmps_index.php

Got mine from straightforward but they have changed for the more expensive protools benders now.

Not actually manufactured anything of good use yet though :rolleyes:

there are a lot of other bits and pieces I really need to do

Haven't you finished that yet? :blink:

I'd say borrow Al's - but then he'd have an excuse for doing nothing, and if his build was dependent on your build being finished you'd end up in some kind of vapour-build black hole where neither build can finish until the other has :wacko:

I'd say borrow Al's - but then he'd have an excuse for doing nothing, and if his build was dependent on your build being finished you'd end up in some kind of vapour-build black hole where neither build can finish until the other has :wacko:

4.gif

Oi, I still haven't taken half the time you did :lol:

Al, that's a very kind offer and I may take you up on that to do the spring mounts. As far as price goes I'd be happy to spend £500-600 ish to get the right thing. If I end up doing a cage, wing tubing, a bumper and spring mounts on the 90 as well as a chassis on whatever I build next it will easily pay itself back!

Will - no problem, it just sits in the corner so PM when you need it. Save yourself an extra 500 for some added bling B) (Or pay someone to get on with the build... :P ).

Shut your hole, Fridge.

jmz - yes. A bender is just a frame, something to exert the force and a former. So as long as the ram rating is kosher, you're in luck. I doubt there's a bender out there that won't do 20mm box. All you need is the correct former - obviously you can't use a former with a face curved to fit tube. You might be able to 'get away' with using it, but it'd probably suck. You could make a simple former for box on a lathe very easily, as its just a straight profile with no curvy bits (which of course could be machined to, if required). Got access to a lathe? Failing that, get some box-section formers and make them fit.

Any reason you're not using tube?

Cheers, Al.

Cheers Al, its a very kind offer.

Will - no problem, it just sits in the corner so PM when you need it. Save yourself an extra 500 for some added bling B) (Or pay someone to get on with the build... :P ).

Shut your hole, Fridge.

jmz - yes. A bender is just a frame, something to exert the force and a former. So as long as the ram rating is kosher, you're in luck. I doubt there's a bender out there that won't do 20mm box. All you need is the correct former - obviously you can't use a former with a face curved to fit tube. You might be able to 'get away' with using it, but it'd probably suck. You could make a simple former for box on a lathe very easily, as its just a straight profile with no curvy bits (which of course could be machined to, if required). Got access to a lathe? Failing that, get some box-section formers and make them fit.

Cheers, Al.

Shut your hole, Fridge.

Cheers, Al.

it was merely a case of the majority of lighter weight steel boarded roofracks i had seen were constructed of square section, possibly to seat and fasten the boards down better and square edges to weld the legs to more strongly?. im more than happy to use tube if it has enough advantages. i just want to get on with it lol

jim