Calling 2007 Defender owners

ashtrans

My '07' 90, now with 350 miles on it suffers from two wierd things,

1) if you press the throttle a little when in neutral to get it above idle to approx 1500 rpm and hold the pedal dead still, after about maybe 8 seconds the engine speed drops back to idle, bit wierd I thought,

2) a bigger problem is when driving say in 4th or 5th at 30 or 40 mph on very low throttle, 1500 to 1750 rpm the engine will surge / flutter up and down about 200 rpm, race then die away etc,

no faults listed on IDS,

please can I ask others with an 07 to do test 1) and let me know the result, and advise if you have also experienced the surging at low rpm,

many thanks for any feedback,

thanks for the replies,

can I ask you to try driving in 4th, 5th or 6th with the revs at about 1200 or 1300 and try accelerating very very gently upto 1750 rpm and let me know if you get the surging at all,

I think SteveG may be right, it's the 'anti stall' seeing low revs and load then raising the engine revs,

On latest stand alone fly by wire Chevy engines the ECU needs a speed input, I enquired why and was advised that it helps the ECU on deceleration when you may have lifted the throttle pedal but the engine is still doing 3000 revs. Otherwise it thinks it must be overfueling/airing.

Perhaps it's a similar thing with your first observation, the ECU shuts down the engine because it's not moving, not very handy if you are trying to jump start someone.

1) if you press the throttle a little when in neutral to get it above idle to approx 1500 rpm and hold the pedal dead still, after about maybe 8 seconds the engine speed drops back to idle, bit wierd I thought.

A definite 07 trait. I've driven a few and they all do it.

I have now done the first test holding the revs above 1500rpm in neutral for 8 seconds + and my engine remains constant which I'm kinda glad about, the only thing I can add is that did it after driving 38 miles so the engine was up to working temperature.

Cheers

Been there, done that ;)

Yep same here, and bought the video,, trouble is its on beatamax !!!! its so old :lol:

Dave,

Symptom 1: Yep same as mine as well, hot or cold, from 750 rpm, to steady 1500, then takes 6 secs to return to 750 again

Symptom 2: Tried in 4,5,and 6th on a flat/straight bit of road.. sorry but no noticeable surgeing or hesitation, just needing a bit more throttle in 6th to slowly raise the speed/revs.