Anybody played with electric PAS pumps yet ?

Boothy

Hi Guys,

Just been looking at a Vectra power steering pump which had me thinking as this thing runs on volts and not belts, and got to wondering, as you do, if it would do a Landy or not ?

Anybody had a go or know more than me about it ?

Boothy

Hi Guys,

Just been looking at a Vectra power steering pump which had me thinking as this thing runs on volts and not belts, and got to wondering, as you do, if it would do a Landy or not ?

Anybody had a go or know more than me about it ?

Boothy

Saw a build in a magazine (LRO maybe??) just recently where the guy used a peugeot or citreon electric pump i think on a landy and it was working a treat, had it located in the seat box IIRC.

Baz

Well what happened was last weekend, I did the Scorpion tail end challenge and on the Sunday early doors the pump packed up (V8 one) but just lately I've been watching the oil burners having a much superior steering effort than mine so I knew it's about time that things needed to improve, especially when doing a Challenge, because of the need for tight manouvering in places and not having to move the vehicle to enable the steering to turn, then just by SODS LAW me rolling it on Saturday because I couldn't turn fast enough, things had to be done, in retrospect the pump must have been nearly knackered then.

Following a bit of research I've got me self a 200 TDi pump which I know has a greater output and another more efficient ZF one again of an Omega which just needs a bit of mounting (one of the alternators sits above it on the right of the V8), then low and behold I find out there's an elecky one about that used a variable voltage and waveform for less effort at speed etc (which doesn't really matter) but is a bit amp thirsty approaching full lock (75 ish amps) so the thing must have a goodish output me thinks.

Don't want to go for the full hydro steer because I do drive it on the road as well occasionally, and I would imagine at normal roadspeeds you wouldn't need to run the electric pump anyway.

The speed of the steering is where the electro hydraulic ones are a problem, if you are steering and changing direction quickly, they don't keep up.

One of the better ones, I found, was from the Astra. It's an upright Delphi unit and may be the same as the one from the Vectra.

I have experience with the vauxhall unit, it was used on the corsa 1600 rallycar that I was involved in a few years ago. It worked very well, the power assist constant regardless of engine revs. The downside is that they are heavy and big. They were also being used on touringcars at the time, fitted in the boot of the car to improve weight distribution. I am not sure whether the flow is enough to power a Landrover steeringbox though.

The theory is also that it doesnt take power when going in a straight line. But I personally wouldn't change it if the belt driven pump was already present.

Daan

We've run a citroen saxo unit on our trialler (suzuki based) for the last 3 years, and the steering isn't as light as it was on the engine driven pump. And the pump has died a few times due to water ingress (causing bearing failure) and brush wear and it siezed up totally once for no real reason.

In short usefull solution to packaging issues but, IMHO nowhere near as reliable as a conventional pump.

Useful thread this!

I have a unit from a tipper for my hydraulic rear steer. Looking at the speed the rear moves on Bathtub (which uses a very similar pump and ram), I figured I could use something smaller & lighter electric PAS pump.

I think now however, I'll stick with what I've got.

Si

Well, thanks for your replies and thoughts,

The road I've gone down is a ZF of a Vauxhall Omega, which apparently is the same case size etc as a ZF74, so i'm just in the process of adapting a mounting and hey ho hopefully it should be good will keep you posted.

Seems that the eleckys are still in their infancy, so to speak. :i-m_so_happy:

Gents,

Just to add something to the pot has anyone considered or had experience with electric power steering?

Some Toyotas use them (my 03 plate Corolla and MR2's have them ), I don't want to get bogged down with the details but I think it works like a synchro.

From what I gather the rotor is attached on the shaft and the stator is then encapsulated over the rotor unit.

Cheers

G