200tdi tappets

steve_a

I believe on the series 2.25 it was recommended to set the tappets regularly, I assume coz it is a gruff old beast.

But what about the 200tdi, I've had the Defender for about 3 years and i haven't got around to setting the tappets, thought it has only done about 10k in that time. The disco has done about 20k in the last 18 months and I haven't done that either, though I am sure it is sounding tappety in the morning (but then again at 216k I can't blame it).

So is worth doing it or does it not matter as much on these engines.

Think it's supposed to be done every six thousand miles, isn't it? Might be twelve, but my 300Tdi gets noticeable more tappety towards the ends of it's service intervals, and I do them every service. I'm assuming that the 200Tdi interval is the same as 300Tdi, which might not be the case, of course.

Out of interest, why aren't they fitted with hydraulic tappets? Can they be retrofitted with them?

Think it's supposed to be done every six thousand miles, isn't it? Might be twelve, but my 300Tdi gets noticeable more tappety towards the ends of it's service intervals, and I do them every service. I'm assuming that the 200Tdi interval is the same as 300Tdi, which might not be the case, of course.

Out of interest, why aren't they fitted with hydraulic tappets? Can they be retrofitted with them?

Be careful what you wish for - I would love to be able to adjust the tappets on the V8 rather than face the much bigger task of changing them at a cost of nearly £50... Oh I know that I won't have to change them again for years, but I always found that there was something very satisfying about turning a rattly tickover into a smooth oily-sounding one with just a feeler gauge and a couple of spanners :)

Be careful what you wish for - I would love to be able to adjust the tappets on the V8 rather than face the much bigger task of changing them at a cost of nearly £50... Oh I know that I won't have to change them again for years, but I always found that there was something very satisfying about turning a rattly tickover into a smooth oily-sounding one with just a feeler gauge and a couple of spanners :)

Maybe...but how old are your tappets? I'm not sure what their lifetime is, but it's got to be a fairly respectable multiple of 6000 miles, and I'd rather do one big job every 150k+ than have to do a fairly short one every six thousand. It adds up to quite a lot of work... Plus with the hydraulic tappets you don't have your engine getting rough towards the end of every service interval.

I should say in my defence that I did do the series tappets regularly, but I guess I have done so few miles in the 90 that I haven't noticed it needing it.

If I can brave the weather I might get out and do it this weekend on the disco.

I even have a wee tool that counts of in clicks the clearance, so I don't need feeler gauges, so I am being v lazy, but since we sold the house I have no garage, little tools, a pebble driveway.... I know I couldn't get my truck in the garage back in Gosport, but I miss having a bit of a workshop, this rental place is cream from bottom to top and the wife looks at me angrilly if I mention coming in covered with oil :)