Rear sliding windows....

Hi all and Happy New Year to you,

Decided to give the 110 a good clean yesterday and noticed that the felt in the rear window channels has disintergrated. Subsequently both windows now rattle and shake when I'm driving.

Can the glass panels be removed with the frame in situ ? Has anyone recommendations for the best thing to use to replace the original felt stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Seal them up solid with black silicone sealant. They will never open again but they will never rattle again. My brand new 110 had rattly windows inside the first week but they really do "all do that" and it isn't worth messing around with them. They also leak less, if you make a proper job of it :)

I removed mine (it was leaking, rattling, drafty, with green slime growing in the channels) surprised by how heavy it was and binned it. Now replaced with a single piece of Lexan shaped to the hole, sandwiched with the original ali. retainer plate with roofing bolts and marine window sealer stuff. Cab seems much drier now :)

same issue with my 1988 90 pick up. Given its not my daily drive and not the only place water finds its way into the cab I used the "folded up piece of card between the windows" method of stopping the rattle.

cheap and easy but I guess it just depends on how much you use your truck.

can't say i open them much so maybe sealing them up can go on the to-do list :lol:

• 2 years later...

I removed mine (it was leaking, rattling, drafty, with green slime growing in the channels) surprised by how heavy it was and binned it. Now replaced with a single piece of Lexan shaped to the hole, sandwiched with the original ali. retainer plate with roofing bolts and marine window sealer stuff. Cab seems much drier now :)

Any pictures of the finish? I'd like to do the same thing

Hmm, I´ve got a little bit "advanced solution", but still McGyverish...: I bought some black self-glueing furniture felt (which goes under the seat´s feet) and cut six 3mmx30mm pieces of it and glued them to the upper side of the glass between the glass and the old felt. Two on outer side, on both ends of the sliding glass and one on the inner side of the closing end. Can´t really see them and they work a treat! Leaks even less, because it seats better against that long rubber seal on the rear end of the sliding window... :P