1991 Classic with an extremely odd...

Silvertemper

..''knock'' .. Ok here goes..not a very technical explanation, but i'll do the best I can! I have an abs immaculate 91 classic... 75K fully documented all the recepts blah blah .. just had the Discs & pads done..and have now developed an extremely odd knocking/sound. At first I thought it was the tappets, then I wondered if it sounded like the discs hadn't been 'set' correctly..then my imagination ran wild..and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing kicked in.

I had it checked again today and have been told, 'nothing loose, nothing going to fall off' but its an extremely unnerving noise, sadly its been a few years since I was rummaging about under the bonnet of an older landie/rangie..and I wonder if anybody can offer suggestions as to what it could be?

It is a 'revolution' sound.. It isn't always there & only obvious'ish when accelarating. (frankly it sounds like a playing card`in the spoke of a bycycle!)

She's a lovely old girl, who has been lovengly maintained but it's payback time for all the low mileage (for heavens sake... one 12 month period clocked 1200.. :lol: )

Hope somebody can offer some suggestions?

is there something catching on the disc? maybe the cover that goes around it. try jacking the wheels up on at a time and rotate each wheel. cant think of anything else to try. :)

Hrrm...yup taken all the wheels off...checked all of that... negative.. is there anything 'major' that may be causing it in the drive-shaft/axle dept? <_<

Hrrm...yup taken all the wheels off...checked all of that... negative.. is there anything 'major' that may be causing it in the drive-shaft/axle dept? <_<

Hi

CV Joint starting to break up maybe! - It would make that sort of sound on acceleration

cheers

Baden

Not a problem with the exhaust? Leaking manifold gaskets, small holes & loose baffles in the front box can all make strange noises.

To further check the brakes, try CAREFUL left foot braking whilst the car is making the noise & see if the noise stops.

Hi

CV Joint starting to break up maybe! - It would make that sort of sound on acceleration

cheers

Baden

Ah-hah..that somehow sounds like the kiddi..just about everything else has been replaced and/or checked.. Mind you...dang.. :huh: I'll check the other things you have all suggested..will keep you posted ...muchos gracias! :P

when you have the noise carry on accelerating but touch brake pedal with left foot if it stops or changes it tends to indicate to the brakes being the problem then try to shift the wieght of the car to one side by steering a little to the left or right and it might aclue which side it is good luck <_<

What about the viscous in the transfer seizing, can you jack a front wheel up and turn it with difficulty ? If you can it's OK if you cannot move it, viscous is seized, then it starts to take out all the weak points in the front axle, cvs, prop joints etc. Daughters did this took out front halfshaft by twisting it round in the cv, prop joint as well, reason is the front axle is forcing the viscous unit round, not the other way round !

Well...it would seem that my CV joint does in fact 'have some play in it' but not sufficient to warrent changing..yet.. All the other stuff you have all suggested I have had checked, she's as sold as a rock.. :rolleyes: Heyho

Oh Re: the card in a wheel metaphor..I was trying to add 3d sound to my poor visual description!

Is it just me or am I just being wierdly paranoid because of a knock?!