Front Washer jet

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 1988 90 and found that the n/s nozzle on the front washer jet doesn't work. I've tried sticking a pin down and still no good. Does anyone know an easy way to remove the jet as it looks like I need to remove the dash to get at it.

My 1989 90 also needs this doing. In fact when I want to use the washer jet the water ends up in the drivers and passengers foot well :P If you take the ashtray out i can feel the pipe connected to the jet, so there must be a hole further down the line, god knows how i am going to get to that

last time i had this problem the pin didnt work as the blockage was around the corner from the jet, i pulled some strands out of a piece or wire and they went in and around and unblocked it.

try removing the hose at the res end and sucking!

Unless you have small hands or long fingers better access can be got by removing the padded dash top. To do this you will need to unscrew windscreen demister surrounds (2 screws each), the heater control lever cover at one end of the dash (more screws) and grab handle at the other (more screws with one hidden under the LR badge), the instrument binnacle (4 screws) and finally the screws on the top edge and underside of the dash top.

you can do it through the ashtray hole if you're prepared to fiddle with it.

Seems weird just one's stopped tho, if you've cleared any blockage, they share the same feed pipe.

Wouldn't an 1988 model have the individual single nozzles on each side? If so, the ashtray won't work....

• 4 months later...

Whilst you've got the dash off, buy another nozzle unit (couple of quid) and some extra tube and you can have washer jets that actually wash all of the windscreen. Take the rubber bungs out used for LHD wipers and stick a unit in each one.

A really simple, cheap improvement; right up my street!

Removing the top section of the dash is simple and makes dong the job easy without the need to struggle.

Replacing the two single jet nozzles with a pair of twin jet nozzles is a really good idea, I did it about 7-years ago and it makes a huge difference as twice the volume of water is hitting the screen. The nozzles are available either as a genuine or pattern part costing around £4 each and are a straight replacement, the standard pump is also up to the job so really there is no reason not to upgrade while you are at it.