Hot water and pressure washers...

Matt B

Just looking at cleaning up my bits (ooo er) and have now got bored with using Gunk and a toothbrush. I was just wondering the implications of connecting my pressure washer up to the hot water supply? I assume cooling of the motor and deterioration of the rubber hoses will be the obvious issues...

A lot of things say you should not use water at more than 65C but whether that applies to pressure washers I don't know. The motor itself is probably not water cooled - more likely air cooled. I have always been going to try it but it is on the "round tuit" list for a few years now - one problem is that you don't naturally have an outside water tap producing hot water! I made up an adaptor out of a modified washing machine hose to attach a Hozelock type connector and source hot water from the washing machine hot tap but I've never used it.

Hmmm, I have an outside hot water supply, to the washing machine as it happens but I take mr Pythons warning to heart. The problem with living down here in the sticks is phoning the hire shop to ask for one and getting the reply "wassat 'en?"...

Matt

Just been there.... bought the T-Shirt.

In short, don't bother. :(

I gutted our kitchen this year and whilst installing new sinks etc, took the opportunity to T-off and put a hot tap outside. I claimed that it would mean I could fill buckets and wash hands without padding through the hoose with boots on etc. :P

However, when hooked up to the Stihl pressure washer, the vast majority of the heat is lost before it reaches the panel you are trying to clean. I even cut down the hose between the house and pressure washer to about 20ft to minimise losses but it made little difference..

I imagine the proper steam cleaners heat the water to well over 100deg at pressure and flow more volume which is why they are so effective.. Their hoses to the lances are also quite well insulated.

ive done it without problem but dont let that be a guarantee :lol:

cant say i stuck my hand over the end of the lance to test the temperature but the hose felt warm and it cleaned an engine, gearbox off very well with the traffic film remover turned on

One suggestion - buy a pressure washer from your local B&Q (probably not much dearer than hiring one) - they are in both Penryn and Penzance. If it breaks, just take it back for a like for like swap. They might try to fob you off with a telephone number to call, but if you persist, the law says that you can have your money back or a replacement and all of the managers there have it drummed into them - Just make sure that you return it within 12 months - of course if you were to lose the receipt, it would be up to your memory whether it was within 12 months or not.

One suggestion - buy a pressure washer from your local B&Q (probably not much dearer than hiring one) - they are in both Penryn and Penzance. If it breaks, just take it back for a like for like swap. They might try to fob you off with a telephone number to call, but if you persist, the law says that you can have your money back or a replacement and all of the managers there have it drummed into them (I know, I manage a B&Q in Bristol) Just make sure that you return it within 12 months - of course if you were to lose the receipt, it would be up to your memory whether it was within 12 months or not.

Dear Mr B & Q,

It has come to my attention that the manager of your Bristol branch has posted details on the Internet how to defraud your company.

Yours sincerely,

Disgusted

Tonbridge Wells.

I thought that was a little brave/silly as well :lol:

Exactly how? There are about 20 managers in each branch, and 7 branches around Bristol - that said, if somebody asked who I was, I would tell them - I have nothing to hide. How is this naughty? If you use something and it breaks, you can take it back. Anybody who knows the returns policy (nailed to the wall) can do that. The law says that you must have a refund if something breaks within a specific period (either 1 or 7 years, depending on the circumstances). All I suggested is that if you don't have a proof of purchase (date) it is up to you to remember exactly when you bought it - again, the returns policy for 'without receipt' is nailed to the wall. Hundreds of people every day return things to us that are 'broken', are around the 12 month age, and have no proof of purchase. All I was telling him was that it was up to him to remember how old it was - nothing naughty at all..... I was just trying to tell him about the really good returns policy.

Personally I am not comfortable with being dishonest even if it is a loophole or poorly written legislation which allows me to do so legally. Imagine the boot was on the other foot and somebody was trying to return a product produced by you because it wasn't able to stand up to unreasonable abuse, you'd be miffed I'm sure.

I appreciate the thought and it is good to know that big stores like B&Q will look after their customers, as they should, but it is abuse of such policies which make them less willing to help. IMHO of course.

All I wanted to know was if it might break my pressure washer :(

Matt

think the point was Matt, if theres nothing in big neon lettering that says not for use with hot water, then you havent misused the product at all anyway

im not one for being dishonest either, not at all if i can possibly help it so i know what you mean

dont think theres a definitive answer to your question. I didnt break our 15y/o pressure washer, my mate didnt break his cheapy one, but some people evidently have.

its a pressure washer.... not a cold pressure washer,

i say just give it ago, you said yourself it was a cheapo...

we used a bulldog pressure washer running hot water for 5+ years on the farm

we got a huuuuge steam cleaner 4 years ago, it strips paint off tractors/cars very well.

Dear Mr B & Q,

It has come to my attention that the manager of your Bristol branch has posted details on the Internet how to defraud your company.

Yours sincerely,

Disgusted

Tonbridge Wells.

Sorry, that is either Tunbridge Wells or Tonbridge both in Kent about 6 miles apart.

Tonbridge was called Tunbridge up until the age of the trains and to avoid confusion poor old Tunbridge had it's name changed to Tonbridge, pooh :(

I know this because I have spent most of my life in both towns!

I use my jet wash with it sucking the water out of the swimming pool. Did it as the pool was a bit full but now found as it is at 32 degrees c at the moment , It cleans really well. Or that could be the clorine in the pool that could be doing most of that :)

But have been useing it alot lately

So thats my tip of the day :)

Ali

How hot is hot by the way?

I am absolutely confident that putting 40C hot water through a pressure wash will not do any harm -

That said pressure washers need a minimum input flow - hot water supplies are usually gravity fed from your storage tank and will not provide the same volume of flow as cold mains water - Hence why the other gent damaged his washer.

Its not temperature that is potentuially the problem but flow volume. If the pump in the washer is being starved of water it could overheat.

Give it a GO -

but do let us know if it melts the pump p :P lease

ref the comment on it not saying its a cold water pressure washer is it not implied as hot water pressure washers specify they are HOT WATER.

i dont know what would happen but i do know that hot water does clean it alot quicker and better. it takes me half the amount of time to clean the truck after an event with a HW pressure washer than a CW one.

hi again, when i posted earlier i didnt say that im a valeter and i used my machine with good water pressure, but, it was hot water i used, not warm, HOT, so i can say if you want hot try to steam cleaner. or a diesel fired one, there great, you can always try to use it warm to hot ish. how hot do you need it to be, if its just to clean the engine use gunk or traffic film remover first, you'll be surprised. works for me. you can always take it to a valeter and ask them how much just to clean the engine, shouldn't be much,. good luck. :)