balancing bead lock wheels

mutant 90

I came across these in the April issue of LRM, they're called Dynabeads and they are an alternative to using balancing weights on the rims

These ceramic beads are inserted in the tire and are non abrasive. Apparently the cost is about £4/wheel to sort all your balancing woes. Not quite bank breaking..

I am genuinely interested in popping some of these into my trusty 750/16 G90 tires opposed to using the old rim attached lead/zinc weights

Has anyone used this product or anything similar? Are these the panacea for wheel balancing?

Deflate the tyre.

Then, either drive carefully over it or put the foot of your high lift on the bead and jack against the sill pf your truck, again carefully.

Not done either myself as I have a tame tyre fitter locally. ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Seriously considering dynabeads or similar but reading people's experiences with BB's I reckon for the money they're worth a go - the only question is do I buy 0.12g, 0.2g or 0.25g pellets? The heavier ones look bigger but that could just be a different quantity on the eBay listing. I'd assume fewer, heavier pellets is preferable to a tyre full of millions of light pellets.

Discuss ;)

Seriously considering dynabeads or similar but reading people's experiences with BB's I reckon for the money they're worth a go - the only question is do I buy 0.12g, 0.2g or 0.25g pellets? The heavier ones look bigger but that could just be a different quantity on the eBay listing. I'd assume fewer, heavier pellets is preferable to a tyre full of millions of light pellets.

Discuss ;)

If you're talking about BBs as in pellets for airsoft guns then they're all usually 6mm in size, very rarely you get larger 8mm ones for snipers and such.

On pirate they use from Steel BBs to actual golf balls so fewer larger may well work ok

My beadlocks have nothing and they wobble at around 35 but over that they are ok even up to 60mph

Be carefull if you use steel BB's as if you get any moisture in the tyre they will become a solid lump of rust over time and are likely to make things worse.

I used the Dynabeads and found they did work and make things better but not perfect.

Beads will only provide a "static" balance, not a "dynamic" balance. So the tyre would theoretically balance evenly on a point in it centre when level but may not balance side to side. As far as I am aware this is like placing all the traditional balance weights on one side of the rim rather than balancing them on both sides. I am sure some one who understands wheel balancing can give a better explanation than me but that was how it was explained to me.

I put dynabeads in my 37s as they were awful at around 50mph & to be honest they haven't done a lot which was very surprising. I read up a lot before I bought them as I was considering getting some BBs but decided I didn't want to take any chances so got the dynabeads to be sure :rolleyes:

After fitting them, first thing I did was to hit the motorway expecting this miracle cure to a horrible problem but still had the wheel shake at around the same speed.

I thought maybe something else was the cause as they are supposed to work really well but was only slightly better.

Discuss ;)

After using BB beads and the Devon4x4 ones I found the Devon 4x4 ones to be better. Costs more than BB's but not a great difference. This was on BFG MT 255/85 16's

Steve

I put dynabeads in my 37s as they were awful at around 50mph & to be honest they haven't done a lot which was very surprising. I read up a lot before I bought them as I was considering getting some BBs but decided I didn't want to take any chances so got the dynabeads to be sure :rolleyes:

After fitting them, first thing I did was to hit the motorway expecting this miracle cure to a horrible problem but still had the wheel shake at around the same speed.

I thought maybe something else was the cause as they are supposed to work really well but was only slightly better.

That surprises me, since my last post I've run 0.2g plastic BB pleats in my tyres (200g in each wheel) for nearly a year with excellent results. No wobble up to 70mph, no wobble even with some mud in the wheels, generally, excellent.

My wheels are home made bead locks, which I took very little care to balance. The tyres are 37" Superswamper radials. The 1000g of BB pleats I used cost £10 from a country fair.

That surprises me, since my last post I've run 0.2g plastic BB pleats in my tyres (200g in each wheel) for nearly a year with excellent results. No wobble up to 70mph, no wobble even with some mud in the wheels, generally, excellent.

My wheels are home made bead locks, which I took very little care to balance. The tyres are 37" Superswamper radials. The 1000g of BB pleats I used cost £10 from a country fair.

Surprised me too, I didn't have any doubts about them working. I keep thinking it must be another issue that's causing the wheel shake.

Discuss ;)

Hi John,

My tyres are no where near as larg as yours, but I did a fair bit of research before choosing ceramic 0.2g BBs. These are 6mm in diameter. I swopped my old mud terrains which were on tyre shop balanced wheels with loads of weights onto some second hand modulars. I removed all the weights from the modulars and put in the BBs rather than pay to have them balanced. I couldn't be happier. They run perfectly and are better balanced than they ever were with the traditional weights.

My understanding is that it is better to have too much in rather than too little, as any balls that don't get used to do the balancing, just distribute themselves evenly in a 'neutral' position.

I got my BBs from ebay from East Midlands Airsoft ltd.

regards,

Diff

I think there may be an issue with those who have not had favourable results in the amount you need - from looking at Dynabeads own website (I think) it actually recommends up to 400g for big tyre sizes, which would equate to a hell of a lot of 0.2g pellets. I guess this is the advantage that dynabeads bring in that they're heavier and so you need less of them.

But what the hell, I'm off to eBay to buy a million pellets and give it a go :lol: I'll report back what happens.

I think there may be an issue with those who have not had favourable results in the amount you need - from looking at Dynabeads own website (I think) it actually recommends up to 400g for big tyre sizes, which would equate to a hell of a lot of 0.2g pellets. I guess this is the advantage that dynabeads bring in that they're heavier and so you need less of them.

But what the hell, I'm off to eBay to buy a million pellets and give it a go :lol: I'll report back what happens.

I used this chart:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm but as mentioned, my understanding is that it is better to put in more rather than less if you are unsure of the quantities.

Regards,

Diff

I play airsoft a lot, and generally buy decent quality BBs, but for something like this you can get some really dodgy quality BBs. Market shops used to do them before the VRCA, but they're generally yellow and 0.12g rather than 0.2. Cheaper 0.2s are harder to find, but I'm sure they're out there.

Still, for 400g that's 2,000 0.2g BBs, and you can get a bottle of 6,000 for not much more than a fiver.

http://www.airsoftworld.co.uk/bb-s-and-oth...0-20g-bb-s.html

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=1512

http://www.6mil.co.uk/product/a48a2994-a06...03f07e614c.aspx

That's the one diff, well found!

For my 37x12.50 R16's it recommends 12oz / ~340g, I was planning on 350-400g just to err on the side of more=better :lol:

Sounds like a plan!

I figured it was cheap enough to try, hope it works for you!

Regards,

Diff