Engine Numbers

Hi, better introduce myself. I'm Nige and own an ex Royal Marines winterised/wading 90. I'm not a newbie to Land Rovers, but I am a newbie to this forum. I use the vehicle daily, but also use it laning and display it at shows as well.

Anyway, down to my question. A few weeks ago, I purchased a Defender 200TDi engine off a mate who'd just written off his 110. There was nowt wrong with the engine and it runs a treat now that it's been swapped into my 90. However, I thought I'd get the V5 altered, so set off in search of the 200's engine number. When I found it, it started with the prefix 19J. Now I thought that this indicated the forerunner of the 200TDi without the intercooler (and a tendancy to destroy itself). My engine has all the correct characteristics of a 200TDi, and my mate's as puzzled as I am as he was told it was the original engine when he bought the 110.

So, is it a bitza of an engine, or did they use 19J blocks on 200TDi's?

Thanks

Nige

Looks like its a defender 200 from the top view, but cant see the block.... can you see the part number on the block, that should identify what you have... dont know if the number shown is a serial no, or engine no as I cant find any hrc2020-b on the net!

According to rimmerbros 200tdi block part no is ERR3

post-4440-1202463512_thumb.jpg

The HRC number is a casting number and will not match any part numbers! Exhausts have the same thing, no idea why.

It mostly looks like a 200 but from memory the dipstick looks wrong, can anybody with a 200 compare with theirs? :unsure:

That's defo a 200Tdi engine, the block could be a very late TD unit that's been used to build up a early 200Tdi, or a previous owner has used a TD block during a engine rebuild,Mine has engine number 11L00777A.

Dipstick is correct for a Defender spec 200Tdi, serial number should be 11L*****A in the location on the photo of my engine below

post-20-1202482251_thumb.jpg

That's defo a 200Tdi engine, the block could be a very late TD unit that's been used to build up a early 200Tdi, or a previous owner has used a TD block during a engine rebuild,Mine has engine number 11L00777A.

Dipstick is correct for a Defender spec 200Tdi, serial number should be 11L*****A in the location on the photo of my engine below

TD engine blocks are different than 200TDI blocks. You cannot build a 200TDI with a TD block.

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk

That looks like a 200 tdi to me too. Perhaps the engine has a chequered history ? Not what you want to hear but you have to consider the possibility that the original number has been removed and replaced with a 21/2 turbo number for not so honest reasons.

Mo