chasis welding and wiring?

tommac

Hi all,

New to landys- our 95 300tdi defender failed its mot on sat- both sides of the chasis rear end of the car- where they dip (sorry for the poor description) have a bit of rot- no great shakes will get them welded up- only question is the guy i know who will weld it says he doesnt normally do landys- being done as a favour to me- wondered if the wiring loom runs inside the chasis? does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Certainly does on the 300 tdi, my mate is just replacing his rear x member, carefully found the loom running in the chassis, hooked it up out of the way of the disc, removed x member found he had sliced through the wires as it had all been doubled up in a big bunch right where he cut it off, seems his 90 has a 110 rear loom in it :blink::blink::blink:

Runs down the drivers side chassis leg.

Why can't you put a drain hole in that down curve as the water just collect sin there and can't get out ?

Certainly does on the 300 tdi, my mate is just replacing his rear x member, carefully found the loom running in the chassis, hooked it up out of the way of the disc, removed x member found he had sliced through the wires as it had all been doubled up in a big bunch right where he cut it off, seems his 90 has a 110 rear loom in it :blink::blink::blink:

Runs down the drivers side chassis leg.

Why can't you put a drain hole in that down curve as the water just collect sin there and can't get out ?

My old 90 had the same problem. Disconect or cut the loom behind the exit hole in the chasis. Pull loom out of chasis from front. Re- fit loom to ouside of chasis rail using large cable ties and re-conect using slodered joints and heat shrink stager joints. The worst place for a loom is in box were you cant see it, mine was nearly chafed through when I pulled it out. We lost a Series 3 because the loom shorted inside the chasis. Good luck. ;)

It's all multi plug connecters, most of them under the cover behind the rh tail lamp. Take the cover off and you'll see how easy it is. Word of warning though, take photos to help you put it all back together, it's sooooo much easier if you know where everything was :)

HTH

Mo

Thanks guys, did this last night- when i got uderneath the rear, the loom had been cut previoulsy- it had a new rear cross member last year so should think it was for that. Cut the wires again and pulled it throughfrom the fornt- its now cable tied to the top of the chais rail temporay untill welding doen (today) where would you reccomend routhing the cable once it has been welded up- im not up for tyring to put it back through the chasis leg!!

Thanks in advance

Tom

I too am having some welding done on a very small patch just next to the rear cross member on the bottom face of the chassis rail. Is there any way of avoiding taking the wiring out? I am having to drive the vehicle to and from the place it's getting welded at and I don't think they'll appreciate me spending hours before and after disconnecting and reconnecting everything up before I can drive it away.