Terrafirma and Old Man Emu Suspension

Now, I am not sure if this is correct, however I have heard that the terrafirma suspension kit is old man emu in different colours and with a new sticker on it? But the Terrafirma kit is much much cheaper so how can this be? Surely incorrect? However, my dad is looking for some +2" springs to suit a gwyn lewis kit with the rough country dampers, and was wondering if the terrafirma springs are any good?

Rhys

I don't see why you'd think they'd be hopeless, frogs island spent a lot of time and effort developing them as a viable alternative to ome's.

The springs supplied by frogs seemed to be a lot more supple giving a lot more travel with the same ride hieght and quality as the ome's they replaced.

I don't see why you'd think they'd be hopeless, frogs island spent a lot of time and effort developing them as a viable alternative to ome's.

The springs supplied by frogs seemed to be a lot more supple giving a lot more travel with the same ride hieght and quality as the ome's they replaced.

I didn't think that they were hopeless, I just asked. So it sounds like a good alternative spring to the likes of ome which are much more expensive. As we are working within a fair budget, the terrafirma springs seem to be ideal so I think frog island may have another customer ;)

Now, I am not sure if this is correct, however I have heard that the terrafirma suspension kit is old man emu in different colours and with a new sticker on it? But the Terrafirma kit is much much cheaper so how can this be? Surely incorrect? However, my dad is looking for some +2" springs to suit a gwyn lewis kit with the rough country dampers, and was wondering if the terrafirma springs are any good?

Rhys

It is shock-absorbers Terrafirma recoloured Dobinson.

On the shock-absorber or on its packing we have found part number corresponding shock-absorber Dobinson:)

Springs Terrafirma considerably harder than OME at at identical length.

Springs are made of thicker wire and edges are not processed as at the OEM, and is simple cut.

It is shock-absorbers Terrafirma recoloured Dobinson.

On the shock-absorber or on its packing we have found part number corresponding shock-absorber Dobinson:)

Springs Terrafirma considerably harder than OME at at identical length.

Springs are made of thicker wire and edges are not processed as at the OEM, and is simple cut.

Frogs Island will confirm this if you ask them - they're kits are rebranded Dobinsons. I guess the reason they do it is that in the UK they've got a much stroger brand than Dobinsons.

They're quality is very nice and the pricing is very good. As far as spring rates go I couldn't comment although there are a few options. However, I've got a set of Terraferma dampers on the 110 and they're superb.

Frogs were selling sets of Terra-firma springs and dampers at old sodbury last October, when we asked the numpty salesman where they were made he had no idea.... :unsure:

they seem to do two different ranges of terra firma stuff, as the new silver painted shocks are only £25 each...

I don't know if TF and OME are the same but I would suggest not... they may come from the same factory but this still does not make them the same.

Just because one brand is made in the same factory as another brand does not make them the same _ i know that Rough Country also supply a branded company ( more known for Suzukis over here ) as well as their own brand. They also supply at least one other company who rebrands their stuff with their own name.

All of these shocks are different however, even though they may cross over in application, as each customer has little features built into their own orders.

The 'same factory / same product is a very popular misconception un the penny pinching world of UK Land Rovers and it should always be remembered that one factory can make more than one quality of the same product depending on the specs laid down by their customers...

David

As far as spring rates go I couldn't comment although there are a few options.

There is quite a habbit it apperas with lift springs to make them verry similar basic specs (spring rate and free length) to all the rest of them. I noticed it with britpart and OME some time ago and having found some specs for terra firma it appears that they are the same too.

http://www.mansfield4x4.co.uk/accessory_di...;cat=Suspension

http://www.britpart.com/page.asp?MenuRef=59

http://www.discoparts.com/files/old_man_em...application.htm

• 1 year later...

What he is saying is that everyone simply copied the OME springs and did not do any on vehicle testing to find the best spring. THAT would cost money and time........

The funny thing is that the OME springs are not really a great choice for most people. They suit the typical Australian user but are not great for the typical off roader....

OME seem to do a more tailored and well thought out selection of springs, they go a bit beyond soft, medium and hard.

I got a set for my Range Rover ambulance overland truck recently in a spec I couldn't get from any other manufacturer - or certainly in a documented, recorded, tested and proven spec than I could get anywhere else.

Standard Terrafirma shocks don't seem to be that great for heavy use, I bent one and wore a set out in a single trip - I'm quite interested in those new big bore expedition shocks though - any one tried them in anger yet?

i have +5 terrafirma shocks on mine they have the 25mm shaft iirc and coupled with britpart hd springs = a bone shaking ride its far too stiff which is why im looking to change my springs its stiffer than my old audi which had coilovers flexes ok tho

ps how did you manage to bend a shock as there not the flimsiest of design shock

Edited by tel

What he is saying is that everyone simply copied the OME springs and did not do any on vehicle testing to find the best spring. THAT would cost money and time........

eh?

I'm trying to understand why spring design would cost any money for landrovers?

You cant mess with the spring diameter or it wouldn't fit on the seat.

That just leaves free length and spring rate and eventual ride height. All 3 taken into consideration make a spring for a specific purpose.

I know how much my truck weighs, i know what ride height i want and based on the spring rate of standard defender springs - i know how i want it to 'handle'.

From that i have calculated i want a 240lbs/inch 16.5" long spring. I dont need to do any testing to know this as its fairly simple maths.

and i am sure the likes OME, terrafirma and all the others are quite capable of working out average vehicle weights of basic spec / commercially overloaded (lol) / caged and winched and then working out supple / standard / stiff ride qualities based on those. Throw in standard height, +1 and +2" and you can work out the whole flippin lot mathematically and produce a full range of springs!