Radon Tape

Shackleton

Surprise, surprise, none of the Motor Factors, builders providers, Halfords - anyone had ever heard of mastik tape. Is this another example of how the lack of motor industry here means we just can't get the good stuff or it mastik tape actually hard to come by?

Anyway the builders providers thought I was talking about Radon Tape when I described the stuff. It's quite like the mastik but black, possibly a little thiner and maybe a bit softer.

Anyone ever used it between car panels or know whether I should bother. It wasn't crazy dear so I bought a roll.

is that like a black sticky substance on a roll that is separated by brown paper type stuff?

my dad used to use it when sealing the joints between a roof and a wall, IIRC it was similar to lead flashing, and i think he used to get it from Jewson's.

you can heat it up with a blow gun and it goes stickier.....is that the stuff??

isn't Radon a gas given off by granite???

Thats the stuff alright, they use it under floors or so I thought the guy said, to seal out radon from frying your privates or some such hocus pocus :o

It seemed like the stuff I want and it feels like it'll act as a decent intermediary between my main floor section and the bulkhead/outer floors.

3M used to do '08572 Bolted Panel Sealer' which was 2mm thick by 20mm wide & came on a 4.6m roll (yes I have a part roll !) but I haven't seen it for years. Everything now comes in cartridges that fit into a sealant gun.

If you want the stuff used to stick plastic door weathershield sheet in place - amongst other uses - then look at http://www.nfauto.co.uk/butyl_sealer_roll.htm

If you have a few minutes have a look through their catalogue. Be warned it could get expensive!

Is this another example of how the lack of motor industry here means we just can't get the good stuff

Always wondered why we don't get half the stuff you get in the UK; drives me mad; maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. :angry:

The construct industry uses a similar product for sticking between cladding panels and roofing panels.

everything these days building needs to be air tight.

I use it the seal floors and panels on the cars

...auto paint and refinishing supplies...

:lol: See, auto paint and refinishing suppliers he says :lol: I wish.

Any of the Irish chaps here know of one of these? C'mon, off the top of your head? I'd be surprised.

I will travel 40 odd miles to Rathgar in Dublin cause there's a MF there with an over sized rattle can rack, The next best thing is the Halfords which we only saw the first one a few years back. Then I happen to have heard of this guy who will make you rattle cans in whatever colour you want but if I said that to any Irish enthusiast the chances are they'd say WOW I didn't know you could do that!

I happen to know a friend who has his own bodyshop and subsequently became a rep for DuPont but thats as close to what your describing as I can think of here.

Seriously, cause we don't have a history of building cars the classic / resto / club scene here is really only starting to blossom now. Sure there has been motor enthusiasts since the beginning but there was never enough demand to warrant all the various trades to build up.

:lol: See, auto paint and refinishing suppliers he says :lol: I wish.

Then I happen to have heard of this guy who will make you rattle cans in whatever colour you want but if I said that to any Irish enthusiast the chances are they'd say WOW I didn't know you could do that!

There are 2 places in Dundalk that will make up rattle cans in any colour you like :ph34r:

Chatting to the Da, and he reckons the tape is called bitumen flash-band here too, as Jericho says.

Can look in our local building suppliers here if you're stuck and chuck it in the post to you, if you can't find it locally.

Monarflex do a double-sided butyl tape (in various widths) for jointing DPMs and radon barriers. I have used it for all sorts of things, it sticks like you wouldn't beliveve, excellent stuff. Most builders merchants will either stock it or be able to get it.

Will :)

Fairly sure thats what I got...

I've another thing for the list though :lol: Well it's more something that people don't use any more and so is rare. A spring scales.

Did the O/S swivel today (should it have taken all day :rolleyes: ) and just need to set the steering resistance. Been looking for one of these scales for 2 weeks. Gran used to have a nice old brass one but it's gone and everyone I talk to'used' to have one. Fine thinks I - fishing shop - NO

Hunting supplies - NO

Tool shops - NO

:lol:

A mates dad suggested getting the old cake baking scales and pushing with it PMSL