OT Anyone in the motor-trade?

GBMUD

Are there targets to meet, or sales figures to boost, before the end of the financial year? Is this where vehicles are likely to be pre-registered to get the figures up and then sold cheaper after the end of the financial year? I am looking to buy a motorbike if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Chris

I had a mate who bought a Triumph Daytona 1200. He got it 2 grand cheaper because it was regestered as (as such ) last years regesteration . But was done a week before the change and he bought it a week after the plates had changed. So new but with an old plate.

So there are deals out there to be had , and on the fact of this i would say yeah there is targets they have as there is in everything to do with sales

The only thing I will say about bikes is 'Don't buy a Harley Davidson!' The after sales and customer care is rubbish and all they want is club membership payments for a new pin badge every year.

Having said that, they hold their value. I sold mine and built and equiped a workshop with the money.

Shop around, a lot. My ex's dad used to get fresh bike every 6 months and he always found good deals. Most of the dealers knew him though as a regular.

Hi Chris,

Financial year has no specific relavance for the company I work for, can't say for all or smaller companies. All our books go to calender year. Always best to try and get a deal at the end of a month, especially end of 1/4 or as you say year; as targets are based around these periods.

When you go in towards the end of a month and are asked a tell tale kind of question, early on, like "when you are looking to buy" or "would you consider delivery before the end of the month". Give an answer like "imediately/yes if the price is right". Answers like in the next "6 months" or other non comital answers are a natural defense answer but don't excite sales guys.

Mark.

Chris

the last bike i purchased new they offered a great discount to register it with them first then me so i was the 2nd owner, worked out about a £800 cheaper which is quite a bit % against a bike. Well i thought it was anyway!

As MJIbex said it is alot to do with what you say

My dad walked into a Land Rover dealership and said he wanted a 110 any colour as long as not green , pay it all up front now . The bloke gave him a price and he got his cheque book out and bought it there and then . He got a roco red 110 county in the end . This was a s reg which he payed £3000 less than the p reg he had (which he alos bought new) He used to use them for towing trailers around the uk and got though quite a few of them :rolleyes:

Another thing my dad did once was he went to buy a new 110 and they told him the was a del charge of (can't remeber exact) about £1000. So my dad went from the southampton dealership to the one near the factory (my dad used to drive around the country so this was easy). He was thold there was the same £1000 del so he said sod that i will get it from southampton and get my moneys worth :lol:

I worked at a Land Rover dealership and the thing that i can't understand is the surcharge for metalic paint but the only colour that a RR and Disco come in that is not metalic is white. So out of 13 colours in the d3 there is only one colour that does not have a $1500 surcharge, and this is not just land rover that do this , they all do it :huh:

Financial year has no specific relavance for the company I work for, can't say for all or smaller companies. All our books go to calender year. Always best to try and get a deal at the end of a month, especially end of 1/4 or as you say year; as targets are based around these periods.

When you go in towards the end of a month and are asked a tell tale kind of question, early on, like "when you are looking to buy" or "would you consider delivery before the end of the month". Give an answer like "imediately/yes if the price is right". Answers like in the next "6 months" or other non comital answers are a natural defense answer but don't excite sales guys.

Thanks for the buying advice Mark. I was wondering if I was best doing a deal before the end of March (I guess the bike business gets busier from April on), waiting till they were focussed on end of year figures the first week in April or hoping for a pre-reg later in April. I will press ahead this week...

In your (or anyone else's) experience, do you have any advice or suggestions about playing dealers off against one another? I am not after blood but one dealer I called offered me (with no prompting) a free alarm system as a sweetener - though they were asking full retail for the bike at that point - and there are a number of dealers around me. It would be nice to get some accessories thrown in and/or a discount on new clothing etc..

Chris

I would have though, a deal before the end of March, would be better,, to push up that dealer 08 plate month figure's,

Years ago, bought 2 new Toyota's for delivery 30 Dec,, the cheaper one was free !!!!

XT660R I think. I keep looking wistfully at the new Transalp but 0% finance, rave reviews and a smaller price tag all point to the XT.

Nice bike, be better off road than the Transalp.

Give it a few weeks and I'll be up for a run out on the plain ;)

Hi Chris

I work for a finance broker so I speak A LOT of dealers. This month will be a busy month for any dealer so they should be able to subsidise a cheaper deal if you take before the end of the month and get it into this 1/4, in my experience it's all about the first and last 1/4's of the year.

-The first to get more allocation of vehicles for the rest of the year, to run special deals or just lower the prices a bit...depends of the manufacturer really

- The last to get their bonus! :ph34r:

In your (or anyone else's) experience, do you have any advice or suggestions about playing dealers off against one another?

Chris

Personally I don't allow myself to get "brow-beaten" too much by other peoples prices unless they have a written quote / invoice. But I know a lot of others do.... but I get people all the time trying to play me off to others and I've heard it all I'd say :lol:

My advice for that would be, be very hard (not rude :rolleyes: ) but hard, if you've made up a price than your telling them and they want to see proof of it, simply say "What do you want that for? I've told you how much it was" :rtfm: in a way that's offended your integrity. I'd be very surprised if they ask again. :P

That's only for discount though as freebies are hard to prove anyway as they're usually "off-invoice"....

Be his best mate one minute.....and hit on the nose with something the next! ;)

Good luck B)

Thanks for the buying advice Mark. I was wondering if I was best doing a deal before the end of March (I guess the bike business gets busier from April on), waiting till they were focussed on end of year figures the first week in April or hoping for a pre-reg later in April. I will press ahead this week...

In your (or anyone else's) experience, do you have any advice or suggestions about playing dealers off against one another? I am not after blood but one dealer I called offered me (with no prompting) a free alarm system as a sweetener - though they were asking full retail for the bike at that point - and there are a number of dealers around me. It would be nice to get some accessories thrown in and/or a discount on new clothing etc..

Chris

Chris,

Just bear in mind - 31st March is the end of tax year (actually its 5th April), it doesnt necessarily mean the dealer or bike manufacturer your dealing with has an end of year in line with the 31st march - it depends when they started their company - financial reporting is important for tax, but what really matters for them is end of quarter and end of year comparisons against previous quarters and years. So if you know where you want to buy from - go onto the companies house website and see when tthey are having end of year - or just ask them! then you will know when the quarter ends are... (some companies for example have quarters that end outside of calendar quarters)

I worked at a Land Rover dealership and the thing that i can't understand is the surcharge for metalic paint but the only colour that a RR and Disco come in that is not metalic is white. So out of 13 colours in the d3 there is only one colour that does not have a $1500 surcharge, and this is not just land rover that do this , they all do it :huh:

It's to keep the "sticker price" down for the adverts, so you can say "Discovery 3 - From £24995" for example.

"From" is a big word in car adverts containing prices and it loosely translates to "for the Sh&^ model that nobody will buy with plastic seats, rusty wheels, skinny tyres and white paint" :rolleyes:

"From" is a big word in car adverts containing prices and it loosely translates to "for the Sh&^ model that nobody will buy with plastic seats, rusty wheels, skinny tyres and white paint" :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

With tiny writing underneath "model pictured is the dogs danglies"

I was once told buy a LR dealer that they don't give you metallic in this country because it's not as popular in other countries.......don't think it's true myself as every country I've been seem to like metallic paint too <_<

In some hot countries the only colour to have is white!

Yeah , i had a customer in Brisbane who wanted a Black D3. We would not get one up from melbourne untill he had payed for the truck. As we would almost never sell a black d 3 in Brisbane :)

It's to keep the "sticker price" down for the adverts, so you can say "Discovery 3 - From £24995" for example.

What's wrong with white :)