New Member - With a question already!

Hi there

I've just bought my very first Land Rover (sooo exciting)! A 1985 Defender 90 with not too much rust... I knew it would't be the smoothest ride ever, having owned a few classics in the past, but I have to say the play on the steering was almost scary. I've read some of the other topics suggesting culprits for this, but being a complete novice when it comes to anything other than points, plugs and bushes, I'm really hoping someone can suggest a reputable mechanic in my area or thereabouts (Bedfordshire).

Any help/advice appreciated. In the meantime I've attached some pics of my new love :-)

Andy.

post-8140-1206393347_thumb.jpg

post-8140-1206393379_thumb.jpg

Check the drop arm on the bottom of the steering box, been known to loosen despite having a torque setting of 6ft scaffold tube and grunting F' me, that's tight.

Andy,

When I lived in Luton I used 'AutoLand' in Houghton Regis. Always had good service from them. Think the guys names there were Andy & Bill - http://www.4x4service.co.uk/

cheers

Gavin

Hi Andy, It is so nice to see an unmolested Ninety! Mine looked very similar to yours Three years ago when i got it,same non opening rear side windows too. Your truck has had a respray/panels changed at some time as the cappings in 1985 were still Galv and not painted and the doors had cappings on them too.

Welcome

Here`s mine before i bought it

JENNYPENNY.jpg

Welcome Andy !

Much work on the 90 is very simple and straightforward and can be completed yourself using the workshop manuals and any further questions you can ask here. You'll save yourself heaps of money and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. :)

Mo

Welcome to the forum, no doubt like me you will soon be checking this place more regualry than you think.

Nice looking 90, when i started i didnt have much mechincal knowledge / experience but no have the confidence and help through the forum and work shop manuals to have a go at most things

Hi Andy, It is so nice to see an unmolested Ninety! Mine looked very similar to yours Three years ago when i got it,same non opening rear side windows too. Your truck has had a respray/panels changed at some time as the cappings in 1985 were still Galv and not painted and the doors had cappings on them too.

Ooh yours is pretty too! I'm just off to google to find out what the cappings actually are... sorry complete newbie to LR's, but I'll get there :blush:

Andy

Welcome to the forum, no doubt like me you will soon be checking this place more regualry than you think.

Nice looking 90, when i started i didnt have much mechincal knowledge / experience but no have the confidence and help through the forum and work shop manuals to have a go at most things

Hi siearl

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I like getting my hands dirty, I'm just not terribly good at it! But better weather and a set of ramps should help remedy this.

Andy

Hi

Welcome to the forum! not being funny or wanting to teach granny etc but is there someone local to you who has a land rover who could have a quick drive, the steering can feel a bit vague after driving a 'normal' car if you aren't used to it, also maybe they could give you a hand and save you a hefty garage bill?

Mike

There are a few things you can do to improve the steering - first of all you need to get down on the floor at the front end and watch while someone steers from side to side (while stationary :o )

If you see any play in any of the rubber bushes or ball joints (there are quite a few), get them replaced, and you will find this makes a big improvement. Also check there isn't any play in the hubs around the big chrome balls.

You can also adjust the steering box to remove some of the play - there's a big nut on the top - I think there are directions in the workshop manual, but a search of the forum should come up with the goods if not.

It's not rack and pinion steering, so there will always be a bit of play in the wheel before anything happens, but you should be able to reduce this down to an inch or two.

There are a few things you can do to improve the steering - first of all you need to get down on the floor at the front end and watch while someone steers from side to side (while stationary :o )

If you see any play in any of the rubber bushes or ball joints (there are quite a few), get them replaced, and you will find this makes a big improvement. Also check there isn't any play in the hubs around the big chrome balls.

You can also adjust the steering box to remove some of the play - there's a big nut on the top - I think there are directions in the workshop manual, but a search of the forum should come up with the goods if not.

It's not rack and pinion steering, so there will always be a bit of play in the wheel before anything happens, but you should be able to reduce this down to an inch or two.

Thanks to both Mike4444244 and Eightpot, I shall have a look underneath as suggested to see if anything seems obviously warn. I'm having a local mechanic looking at it tomorrow and will be furnishing him with the suggestions I've received from this forum - which I'm sure will delight him!!

I don't know any local owners, but someone else' view would be good - I shall employ this method if the mechanic doesn't come up trumps (or get too peeved with me telling him what to look for).

Thanks

Andy

Just had a quick look - the steering box can be adjusted by slackening the big lock nut on top of the box, and screwing down the big grub screw with an allen key. Do it turn by turn and check the play in the wheel till it's just acceptable, don't over do it.

Check this is the likely suspect first though before you do it - you might just be able to reach the wheel through the window while you're looking under the bonnet, waggle it and see how much movement is converted to movement of the steering arm - if the arm starts moving with little input from the wheel then it's down to ball joints and bushes.

Hope that helps!

Andy,

When I lived in Luton I used 'AutoLand' in Houghton Regis. Always had good service from them. Think the guys names there were Andy & Bill - http://www.4x4service.co.uk/

cheers

Gavin

Gavin

After getting an £800 quote from my local garage to replace the whole steering box and fuel lift pump, I trundled over to Houghton Regis. These guys are fabulous, they diagnosed a worn uj and the spines/splines? on the drop are having worn and have suggested checking the damper, all of which they are going to sort/look at next week (I'm still not bold enough to try myself and I don't have the tools... yet).

Thanks a lot for recommending them, a really good call!

Andy.

If you ever need another good mechanic, then head over to Markyate in Herts, there's a garage run by a bloke called Dale, always found him to be good and he knows his landies....in fact they do all the box fitting/removing for Ashcroft transmisisons too :)

If you ever need another good mechanic, then head over to Markyate in Herts, there's a garage run by a bloke called Dale, always found him to be good and he knows his landies....in fact they do all the box fitting/removing for Ashcroft transmisisons too :)

Thanks Smo, another one for my little black book!

Andy :-)