Rear Disc brake Axle change

hi,

A mate of mine has carried out a 200tdi discovery conversion on his original 2.5 Petrol 90.

It is such a revelation to drive now!

He would like to upgrade the rear axle to discs and we have found a friend with an old range rover axle.

Only problem is that it has no diff or axle shafts.

My question is this;

Can we fit the drum brake diff and axle shafts to the range rover axle? Is shafts of correct length/both pattern?

Will i have to use range rover axle shafts? If so will it work with the 90 diff?

In the future would 90 discs and pads fit or will we have to order range rover parts?

I am sure many of you have done the swap but this is slightly different and would like your advice/thoughts.

Cheers.

Look forward to your responses.

i didn't know you could do that Ralph i thought the drums (back of were part of the axle).

you fit the 90 diff to the RR axle. shafts i am not sure i think they will go, PCD for the hub may be different, if not 10 spline RR shafts are 10 a penny anyway and they will fit your 10 spline diff.

where are the shock mounts on the axle some RR axles had one on the front and one on the rear of the axle a def has them both on the front.

may be easier to just get a disco axle, it will probably be newer than the RR one, be complete and ready to fit less changing the diff nose flange from 3 bolt to a 4 bolt one.

Im pritty sure you cant just swap the stub axles and hubs over ect, and then you wouldnt be able to mount the calipers as the mounting holes are on the axle.......As for the shafts and diff, diff would be easy any 10 spline rover diff will fit into the rangey axle (disco 1, RRC, 90) shafts should fit as long as the PCD of the bolts are the same, I have a Disco 300Tdi 24 spline axle on my 90 with my old 10 spline 90 diff and shafts which is far from Ideal but I havent been able to find a 24 spline diff within a sensible distance from me yet. As for the discs FTC1381 throws up rear brake disc for 90 rrc and disco 1 so any will fit.

hope this helps

Dave.

You can use the RR axle-casing but fit your own diff & halfshafts to it as this is what I did when I fitted a Disco axle to my ex-MOD 90.

The OE diff was a 4-pinion unit and the 2-piece halfshafts 24-spline so I just fitted them to the Disco casing & hubs with no modifications. The flange fixings are different between the drum & disc-braked hubs and I don't think it is possible to do the opposite without first opening out the holes.

The diff will bolt in with no problems.

The shafts will depend on the age of the axle. The PCD is the same but the bolt diameters may be different.

Early Range Rover axles used imperial threaded half shaft bolts (9/16 AF Head size) which are smaller diameter than the later 17mm M10 bolts. If you fit later shafts with early bolts it will all bolt up but there will be play in the bolt holes and over time the bolts will work loose or shear off particularly if you are driving hard. Early shafts are cheap and plentyfull so if it is imperal bolts just get shafts to fit. Worth checking or replacing the wheel bearings before fitting it all up particularly if the axle has been sat around for any time with the shafts out as this allows dirt and water into the bearings.

I have recently done this on my 1992 90 200TDI.

The stub axles on the drum braked axle are all in one, I understand it is possible to fit calipers to these axles using conversion brackets LR Pt No.FTC3306 about £23.00+vat.

I changed the complete assembly for one from a 1994 Discovery, interest point the drive flange PCD's are different between the one piece 1994 discovery half shaft drive flange/hubs compared to the separate 1992 flange/hub.

Both axles were identical imperial 10 spline 2 pin diffs.

Rod

He would like to upgrade the rear axle to discs and we have found a friend with an old range rover axle.

Only problem is that it has no diff or axle shafts.

My question is this;

Can we fit the drum brake diff and axle shafts to the range rover axle? Is shafts of correct length/both pattern?

Will i have to use range rover axle shafts? If so will it work with the 90 diff?

In the future would 90 discs and pads fit or will we have to order range rover parts?

I am sure many of you have done the swap but this is slightly different and would like your advice/thoughts.

Cheers.

Look forward to your responses.

There are 3 issues here:

The diff is not a problem and will bolt straight in.

1/2 shafts from a 90 axle will not fit an "early" R/R casing due to differences in drive flange sizes and bolt sizes but if you pay the shipping from Edinburgh, you welcome to a pair of R/R shafts.

The R/R axle casing will bolt it but you will have to use the 90 Radius arms as the R/R arms have a smaller pin dia. where they go onto the chassis and you may find that the R/R shock absorbers are one to the front and one to the rear where as the 90 is both forward. This is easy to cure with a grinder and welder and easy to do before fitting axle.

Hope this answers some of your questions but ask if there are more.

Bob

i was speaking to one of my friends and they said about changing something on the brake system to change the bias as with brums at the rear it was braking mainly at the front and if you put discs on you will want more bias to the rear. is this true and what do you need to replace this? hope i have been clear enough

i was speaking to one of my friends and they said about changing something on the brake system to change the bias as with brums at the rear it was braking mainly at the front and if you put discs on you will want more bias to the rear. is this true and what do you need to replace this? hope i have been clear enough

I found that the rear disks when fitted would lock up the back wheels under hard breaking, i.e. you end up to to much bias to the rear. I fixed this by fitting 110 calipers and pads at the front - rectifies the brake balence and reduces brake pedle pressures.

Adrian

p.s. This neat idea was from Daan originally

• 2 months later...