Speeding up an EP9

Orange

I have had an EP9 strapped to the front of the RR and found it to be a little lacking on the speed front when competing in the winch challenges we have done. I'm now planning on putting a winch on the 90 but am finding it hard to justify the expense of the 'competitors favourite' and certainly wouldn't be able to get the cost of a hydro system past SWMBO.

I know that the speed and performance of an 8274 can be drastically improved by changing the motor, but is the same possible with an EP9?? If I can get a bit more speed for a reasonable (read fair) amount of money, then I would be quite happy to stick with it for the few competitions that we do.

I think I already know the answer, but would be grateful for the opinions of a few grown-ups!!

TIA

Adrian

sell it and buy an ep9.5 ;);) probably only economical improvement.

8274 is fast down to it's low gearing. You can't do the same in the low line winches. You could alter drum but that wouldn't give you much.

If you want speed and electric an 8274 with XP motor it is :rolleyes:

Steve

Adrian's frame of reference comes from doing challenges in my Discovery with my 8074 with a 4.6 HP Warn 8274-50 Motor. The winch is not super scarily fast, but there is a real marked difference between the two.

Personally, I would go for an 8274 (well, and 8074 actually.. ;) ) on the front, and use the ep9 on the rear.

I keep forgetting about the TDS. IIRC it has the same motor as the EP9.5 and same gear set so it should be just the same.

It's probably cheaper and has seals on the drum ends so would be a better buy than the ep9.5

Cheers

Steve

Orange, if you decide to sell it I would be interested in giving it a home. I sure it is homesick for its old bumper :rolleyes: .

Pete.

Pete, I already have a home for it - well, in my head I do - but need to further my fabrication skills and tame my welding bitch again before mounting it in the rear crossmember!!! :D

also the comeup ds9.5 that is exactly the same speed as a warn 9.5ti. To speed up an ep9 you can fit a bowmotor though can't you????

That is the point. It's not that easy. If I'm getting the right end of the stick, it's all about the gearing and the EP9's doesn't lend itself to speeding up.

Don't get me wrong - the EP9 is not slow when compared to other similar chinese winches, but having had to run up a hill to keep up with an HP motored 8074, I think it needs a bit more.

Cheers for the links to the TDS winches.

David - I would be grateful to hear how yours gets on in real life testing, if you would be so kind....

Guest WALFY
Yep - that's the answer I was expecting!! Cheers Steve - I think!

Off to talk nicely to SWMBO...........I may be some time!!!

You should of said. We could of cajoled SWMBO into letting you buy a new winch, we had a few days over Easter to get you stuck and prove you need a new winch. 1 day you'll learn the art of manipulation :P

I did think about suggesting that.... ;) It would certainly bring about the opportunity to try another motor sooner....

Not that much sooner, you can do just about anything to anything and if you are sensible it will last :)

I have front and rear EP9's on the D-Lander which will be run on 24v

thats exactly what i've done. 24v through 12v bow motors. 8274 front EP9 rear.

How do you find it compares to the 8274 now its running 24v??

I could but you haven't passed the security checks and you aren't ginger

:(