Rear springs?

roversteve53

Hi to all.

I wonder if someone can help me with a small problem ,I have a 1991 ex police R/R that I fitted a VM 2.5 diesel into,I changed the front springs to the correct ones for the diesel version but left the rear with the police spec ones,

Now that I no longer need to carry heavy loads I want more comfort , My parts book shows two sets of springs one set green standard the other set pink/purple progressive , My car also has antiroll bars fitted, so which ones ?, If its the pink/purple which way up ?

Thanks in advance Roversteve.

Hi to all.

I wonder if someone can help me with a small problem ,I have a 1991 ex police R/R that I fitted a VM 2.5 diesel into,I changed the front springs to the correct ones for the diesel version but left the rear with the police spec ones,

Now that I no longer need to carry heavy loads I want more comfort , My parts book shows two sets of springs one set green standard the other set pink/purple progressive , My car also has antiroll bars fitted, so which ones ?, If its the pink/purple which way up ?

Thanks in advance Roversteve.

Pink Purple go with the tighter coils at the base

If you look in the for sale section I have a brand new set of genuine pink purples for sale :)

Nige

Pink Purple go with the tighter coils at the base

If you look in the for sale section I have a brand new set of genuine pink purples for sale :)

Nige

Is there any reason for mounting the tighter coils at the base? We have always put them at the top, easier to fit the bottom retaining plates.

Is there any reason for mounting the tighter coils at the base? We have always put them at the top, easier to fit the bottom retaining plates.

I'd like to know too...for the same reasons..

I can see no logical argument (in terms of how the spring performs) to have to have them one way up or the other. The only difference the bottom coils will experience is the self weight of the spring above it which is obviously of no consequence.

I would say mount them which ever way up you like, or one of each if you fancy it! :P

We always put the closer coils of progressive springs to the top in the forks of the MX bike. The theory of it according to Mr Ohlins was, when they were tight together they are effectively just a lump of weight. With them too the top of the fork it would keep the unspring weight down. That said I went between suspension services once (about 15 weeks) with them the wrong way up and had absolutely no clue, Didn't notice any difference!

Thanks everybody for your information. I took the top off of the forks on my old 1967 triumph motorbike ( fitted with progressive spings some years ago) and the tight coils were at the top so I'll try that way up first. Still not sure if progressive springs were fitted to anti roll bar models but as I have a pair of progressive springs they are what I'll fit! Heres looking forward to a smooth ride. Thanks

Post 1986 RRC were fitted as standard with progressive rear springs (incidently with the closer coils at the top). Not 100% sure on post 1990 models, I've read reports that on some models they went back to constant rate rear springs.

A word of caution about the above table, it only lists a single rate for each spring, though some opf them are progressive rate.

For example the pink-purple spring is listed as 178.2 lbs/in, but actually starts at about 120 lbs/in and increases up to 178.2 as it compresses.