Landrover manuals

Scotian

Scotia,

That site was off line during the weekend. Nice to see it back.

Surly the first place you should find this kind of info is from a british site?

Good point, why isn't it ??

AND why isn't there more manuals available, ie: Stage 1, more Parts Manuals for Discovery's.........

Todd.

Because Land Rover have to go to Estonia to take legal action if they want to shut them down :ph34r:

Frankly I don't think it's worth the risk of someone in the UK doing it without LR's permission.

Agreed, plus someone has to actually be willing to put in all the time and effort required to do it!

The original question has been answered, so just for a smile, and to reinforce the point that hosting can be a hassle....

The other day I wanted to look up some Series 1 information, and I found two sites hosting S1 Workshop Manuals. (I'm old fashioned enough to try my own fishing, before asking to be spoon fed simple stuff).

I downloaded one, only to find that the section about the front axle was missing completely.

I went to the other site, and that was the same :-)

I don't know who was first, but I thought it ironic, all available for minimal effort (free), except the bit you actually need!!

I've a friend who owns both an S1 and a Manual, so I've shared the joke with him, and given him the taskette, so I'm not looking for a response here.

A similar query had me looking for a Series 3 Workshop Manual.

I found one that was almost complete, but they had left out the front page, so I don't know which years it covers. They have split the online files into handy bite sized pieces, but haven't put the file split points at the Section breaks, so that to look up the Brakes section, for example, the reader is never sure which file to open.

Attempting a quality job always takes that bit more effort, but so many people either don't realise it, or can't be bothered.

Spelling? Punctuation?

Who said that? Not me (coughing) :-))

Cheers.

Is the issue of Landrover getting upset with somone for producing them so big? Will they hunt you down and take you to court if you do host manuals online?

I remember when I was in the MG world (about 2 years before they went bust) on the Xpower MG forum someone was putting out feelers (market research) for interest in Diecast MG models. Within a few days of this he recived some very strange threatning phone calls from somone saying he is from MG or workingon their behalf, to cease his activities or they will take action against him.

I thought this was rediculous since MG had no plans to make such items, they were struggling and surly any publicity is good and he was only doing market reserch before he applied to MG for permission to make them in their name.

Is this the way Landrover is when it comes to this subject?

Going back to the original question though (anorak on at this point!) - The site has an Estonian domain name - it doesn't actually mean that it is hosted in Estonia.

Most countries (with a few exceptions - eg China, Saudi etc) will happily allow you to purchase a domain name (.co.uk for instance) - without any requirement for you as the domain owner to actually be resident in that country.

All the domain name actually indicates is that someone has paid for that domain and that a website linked to that domain has been created and hosted - nothing more.

Matt

Is the issue of Landrover getting upset with somone for producing them so big? Will they hunt you down and take you to court if you do host manuals online?

Written in the last 6 months by a Moderator on another Forum concentrating on Land Rover products.

"Unfortunately someone on the Sport site thought it would be cool to sell copied DVD navigation discs to his fellow Sport members. Even after a few folks saying this was not a good thing to be doing we were paid a visit from an legal gent regarding intellectual property rights. To be on the safe side we pulled all the download links to LR goods. It was an example of one bad apple ruining it for the bunch."

As someone reportedly said "Feeling lucky?".

Cheers.

............. (I'm old fashioned enough to try my own fishing, before asking to be spoon fed simple stuff).

I downloaded one, only to find that the section about the front axle was missing completely.

Tell me when you're ready to be spoon fed with the right link that includes the missing chapters (sample).

You're certainly old enough to search before asking, which is great, but maybe not old enough to find what you're after :P :P :P (SFT).

Tell me when you're ready to be spoon fed with the right link that includes the missing chapters (sample).

You're certainly old enough to search before asking, which is great, but maybe not old enough to find what you're after :P :P :P (SFT).

I thought I'd made it clear that I had access to the information, but thanks for your offer.

The phrase 'old-fashioned' was to indicate an attitude, not an age, as you used it.

Cheers.

PS, You will notice that I make very little use of emoticons, as I've found them too easily misunderstood. We have enough problems with words.

For the cost of the postage and a DVD, I can send anyone just about every non-Series LR manual ever written. RR Classic, P38 and L322, Disco I and II, Defender Tdi and TD5 and Freeloader I.

Postage is about a quid and DVD's don't cost much now. PM me if interested.

I thought I'd made it clear that I had access to the information, but thanks for your offer.

The phrase 'old-fashioned' was to indicate an attitude, not an age, as you used it.

Cheers.

PS, You will notice that I make very little use of emoticons, as I've found them too easily misunderstood. We have enough problems with words.

Having access to the information is one thing and having the source of information at your fingertips is another. But whatever suits you, suits me better.

The word "old" I used in my message has the same meaning as the one written under your username (and mine) on the left side of the panel. You can change it if you don't like it.

We both used about 1 emoticon in every 3rd message from last 100 on this forum.

So let's both get back to our LR related stuff and call it even, wouldn't you agree?

Having access to the information is one thing and having the source of information at your fingertips is another. But whatever suits you, suits me better.

The word "old" I used in my message has the same meaning as the one written under your username (and mine) on the left side of the panel. You can change it if you don't like it.

We both used about 1 emoticon in every 3rd message from last 100 on this forum.

So let's both get back to our LR related stuff and call it even, wouldn't you agree?

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

I know, you've both had your say so let's make it the two minute special and call it quits now before someone comes along, reckons it's OT and starts pressing edit or delete buttons :angry:

:offtopic: Being the thread starter I feel its my duty to bring this one back on topic... :rtfm::hysterical: Thanks Mods :P

Anyway. I think we covered it. Apart from. What is the official route you would go down if you wanted to pay for the workshop manuals? Are they publicly available or are we always going to have to be sly getting the scanned copies that I guess are sneaked out by people in the industry?

Cheers.

:rofl:

Superb, made my day

I know EXACTLY what you mean - I find the icons give a clue to what I am saying and how I mean it - but erm not always :lol::

Nige :)

Anyway. I think we covered it. Apart from. What is the official route you would go down if you wanted to pay for the workshop manuals? Are they publicly available or are we always going to have to be sly getting the scanned copies that I guess are sneaked out by people in the industry?

I did pay for them one time when I didn't have broad band, a fiver for the series 3 cd. There is alot more out there than you may know, eBlag is a good starting ground for it. How much do you want ? Are you willing to take the risk of buying poorly marked/repeat material from China or where ever?

I've also found the word of mouth has been very good with collecting new manuals.

Are they "publically avail", yes. Are you willing to buy the cd's and then share them with others? ........... This could lead to many more questions, but I would think that it's wise to keep your cards close to your chest.

Todd.

Its not that I dont know where to get the manuals. I used to buy MG/Rover RAVE Cds from ebay before I had broadband but is there an official 100% legal avenue to go down for getting manuals? I have all the manuals I can shake a broken landrover at so I dont need any, just wondering.

As an example of how precious car makers can be about their name/intellectual property rights etc., they had a spell about 5 years ago (when Ford took over?) of taking people to court (or threatening to) for using the words 'Land Rover', 'Landrover', 'Landrovers' etc. in their company name without permission. They even went after people with websites whose name included the letters 'LR' where it was 4x4 related. I have no idea if they had sufficient right to take it to court but if you were an individual running a website you could not afford to take that chance. A website

Chris