Recovery Eyes

Just wondering, I'm going to get a couple of recovery eyes and was wondering if it was okay to stick one on top of the front bumper as my license plate is in the middle but it would probably be better to be towed from the centre. The other option is to put two in the front eitherside of the number plate and run the rope through both of them.

Basically I've just put the number plate there and don't want to move it.

Which recovery eyes attached to which bumper?

You'd be better off using JATE rings attached to the chassis, or fitting a steering guard that has built in recovery eyes.

'sticking' a recovery eye on the top of the bumper, out of line with the chassis rails, is a bad idea. After a recovery you'll likely end up with a bent bumper, or at worst a detached recovery eye.

I'm also interested in the reply as my steering guard is covering the holes where Jate rings normally go and I can't see any way of attaching eyes to the front.

Not keen on bolting anything to the front bumper as it looks too thin to take much strain.

/mad

If you want to add eyes above the bumper line, then D-Rings are the way to go:

I here they are attached to my IIa, but they are exactly the same for a defender:

d-rings.jpg

They are best used in pairs, with a bridle between them - ie a strap or rope attached to both of the eyes, and another long rope attached to the centre of the bridle to whatever is recovering you/being recovered.

hth

Mark

If you want to add eyes above the bumper line, then D-Rings are the way to go:

I here they are attached to my IIa, but they are exactly the same for a defender:

d-rings.jpg

They are best used in pairs, with a bridle between them - ie a strap or rope attached to both of the eyes, and another long rope attached to the centre of the bridle to whatever is recovering you/being recovered.

hth

Mark

Paddocks sell them, £14.50 + VAT. Simplest traditional solution if access to chassis rails underneath is obstructed. Fit with M10 High tensile bolts, & use a bridle (Machine Mart do a nice webbing one, which doubles as a tree strop)

Not sur I've done this link right, but if it doesn't work cut & paste into your browser.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_ROAD/R...ies_-_pair.html

There's heaps of good advice on this. Do a search on "Jate rings" or "recovery points".

Here's a couple of interesting threads

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=jate+rings

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=jate+rings

If you're mounting to the bumper, you should ensure there's a spreader plate behind to avoid tearing through the relatively thin metal of the bumper.

Contrary to what you wrote, mounting in the middle is not ideal - you'll put sideways load on the chassis rails and pull them toegether. You should mount your recovery points in line with the rails (either side of the Number plate would be fine).

If you're going for Jate rings then you'll have to cut a section out of your guard. Check out the first thread above - same issue.

Sorry for the thread hijack... but what can I do here with regards recovery. I don't want to use the towbar fitted by previous owner and the guard covers the jate ring holes.

2008-03-08-First_day_01.jpg

thanks.

I have same problem. I think simplest solution may be new steering guard with built in recovery points (paddocks £72 + VAT) & put the old one on e-bay. Probably get £30 for it.

Paddoc Spares

That Equipe one looks the business, but you would have to mount it out of line of the chassis rails, due to the fact that you have an A-bar, which would cause damage when pulled on.

All 4 Wheels Gear do a set that has really fat spreader plates and mounts flush to the front of the bumper, in line with the rails, similiar to the Equipe one, but without the bit that goes around the bumper. They are £60 odd each, but are heavy duty bits of kit.

Sorry for the thread hijack... but what can I do here with regards recovery. I don't want to use the towbar fitted by previous owner and the guard covers the jate ring holes.

2008-03-08-First_day_01.jpg

thanks.

Get a decent steering guard and a set of JATE rings or a HD bumper both probably cost about the same.