tyres

bushwhacker

I am of the opinion a wide set of tyres are best for off roading in mud. In thinking the extra width will keep the rover up on top of the surface and also help spread the weight. I have seen tyre size 285/75R16 mentioned, would this size be to big for a series vehicle. I have run 235/85R16 and 7.50/16, I can extend the arches but would there be enough room without a suspension lift. Who would be the cheapest for this size?

Depends on the type of mud you are going on, if it's less than a foot or so deep then thin tyres are much better as they let you sink down to the hard ground and get some grip.

If it's really deep mud then big wide tyres can be better as they can allow you to "float" a bit, but they still might not give you much traction.

Big wide tyres do look better though!

You will be very hard pressed to get 285/75/16 under a Series truck but provided you are willing to aggressively trim the wheel arches, it could be done with some military shackles probably required. You will lose turning radius with a nearly 11.5 " wide tyre but with substantial offset in the new wheels required to fit these tyres, it may be a wash. Bushwacker's views on skinny vs wide in mud are sound, but you will have to factor in the additional weight of carrying several sets of rear and front halfshaft assemblies (as well as a spare diff) since the floatation moodel requires a relatively high rev approach and as soon as a 285/75/16 MT catches traction at high revs, you will hear that dread "ping" sound of halfshafts (or front u-joints) breaking. As for cost, this should not be a serious consideration given the other issues.

Seriously, can you do it? Yes you can! I had BFG ATs in 315/65/15 on the Tonka for a year and a half in Dubai. I had the turning radius of an oil tanker and broke halfshafts with some regularity.

I am fitting 35x10.50x16 on my IIa, on stock series rims, with welded on bead locks. I am planning on carrying spare halfshafts for just this reason. lol!

I have 35 12.50 15 on my series so far i have blown up 3 rear diffs (now upgraded to KAM 24 spline shafts hubs and a locker) four front diffs and two long front halfshafts cant upgrade front can only import shafts from america and at over a grand for the pleasure i will keep throwing the chocolate ten splines at it! Big wheels are possible but driving style takes a bit of adjusting!

I could not live with that. I travel in the series to events and do like to be able to go home in it. I do'nt do competitive off roading just a bit of fun stuff but I would like to be able to keep up with the 90s. Plus I am trying to fund 4 other Rovers. Something will have to go.

I've told the wife it was nice knowing her.

As if I would.

235/85 r 16 are going to be best bang for the buck, the marginal if any gain by going to 265 is not really worth it other than for cosmetic reasons. The transmission components are not going to be helped, Land rover did not change all the trans components on the FC / 1 ton with 900x16 tyres just for the fun of it . I have yet to see a tyre fit other than terra tyres that will keep a landrover on top of any sort of mud . JMHO

ps if you are really serious have a look at ''Mattracks''

I run 285/75/16s on my swb series. I've got them on reversed 8 spokes with about 6" of backspacing, and run 90 arches.

With this set up the outsides of my tyres are where they would be on a 90.

I've also cut out the tops of the rear wheel boxes and raised them up about 4" for clearance, but they still rub on full articliation!

Jon

Is the 6in back spacing due to the reversed 8 spokes and not an actual spacer as such?

What width and diamter rims are you using?

I suppose you have parabolic's fitted and longer shackles also.

Are there any long term poblems in running this set up?

I do'nt mind changing a wheel beaing now and again but is there anything else that will get worn guicker.

Yes the 6" backspacing is in the rims. I'm not running wheel spacers.

Standard 7x16" 8 spokes - just with the centres reversed.

Yep - parabolics and 1 tonne shackels.

Well I've been running them for about 5 years now and havnt changed a wheel bearing in all that time. However I would add that it is a struggle to turn them without PAS. Since fitting PAS I havnt looked back.

Wheel centres cut out and re-weled?

Is there a rim that could be used instead of a cut one? Or maybe a second hand set of 5 already made? Did you get your's done local to you?

The 7 in x 16 cut rim would look good on the 110 also. That's what I like about Land Rovers you can chop and change.

NOW LETS HEAR MORE ABOUT THE PAS. Major mods or easily done. One of my mates talked about a car electric type, any ideas.

Wheel centres cut out and re-weled?

Is there a rim that could be used instead of a cut one? Or maybe a second hand set of 5 already made? Did you get your's done local to you?

The 7 in x 16 cut rim would look good on the 110 also. That's what I like about Land Rovers you can chop and change.

NOW LETS HEAR MORE ABOUT THE PAS. Major mods or easily done. One of my mates talked about a car electric type, any ideas.

Yep - centres cut out and re-welded.

I couldnt find anything that would fit with that offset other than the 10x15's tonk has mentioned. You could porbably get some made...........

I reversed them myself.

PAS is just standard defender bits and isnt too hard if you're happy cutting and welding saftey critical bits.

Jon

post-5542-1209247381_thumb.jpg

i use to run these wheels and tyres on my S3 thay are 235/85/16 on 8 spokes i used to keep up with every one and some times do better. sadly the tyres are bronco dirt devels are are not made any more so when the have worn out i will have to find a new tyre.