Prop removal

There is no way it would be practical for me to change anything I touch as there are simply too many nuts and bolts that I do and undo on a daily basis. There are very few days of the month that somthing isnt unbolted and replaced on my 90. I do of course change anything that is looking ropey like a flat spring washer or a nyloc nut that has lost its plastic or is looking worse for wear.

There is no way it would be practical for me to change anything I touch as there are simply too many nuts and bolts that I do and undo on a daily basis. There are very few days of the month that somthing isnt unbolted and replaced on my 90. I do of course change anything that is looking ropey like a flat spring washer or a nyloc nut that has lost its plastic or is looking worse for wear.

bolts and nut are very in-expensive , u should always change them ie new nut with n/l its a good practice to do , keep things safe for u and others

On the subject of bolts... Are the prop bolts just normal bolts that we can replace from B+Q or do we need to buy high tensile ones or somthing...?

Didn't know they had B&Q in Romania...

Anyway the question has already been answered I think. Buy the proper ones and don't be a cheapskate or you will find that a propshaft trying to get your legs through the floor is an expensive wake-up call that increases your heart rate quite considerably.

I wouldnt dream of being a cheapskate reagarding the quality of bolts.. I'm just not going to buy 50 of them to change them every time I take a prop on or off in a month. I know of 4 indapendants who dont put new ones (or the nut) when they change props unless they actually need to be changed.

And no. we dont have B&Q here.. but how many blank faces would there have been if I said Baumax :P

Sounds like an out of date video format to me...

Anyway you don't need to change your bolts every time and even the Nyloc nuts can be re-used a few times, though the book always recommends you shouldn't.

Do you change your propshafts monthly because of a lack of anything better to do on the weekend, because you like doing it, or for some other reason? I can't recall the last time I had to take one off (but I still have a Difflock prop tool, just in case I do).

I've been taking them off alot becuase of UJs braking (I must start using HD ones some day), Drive shaft breaking and taking prop off till it was fixed, axle changes, hand brake maintanance, shoe changes, gear box change, engine change....... they end up comming off alot for one reason or another.

Comming up will be an engine change, followed by a transfer box change then shortly after that a gear box change, then axles rear diff then front axle and not long after that rear axle. All the work is staggered as I dont have the chance to do it all at once for one reason or another..

Oh.. and the rear prop needs changing as there is play in the splines :P so yeah... they come off alot :P

Baumax - betamax.. I get it :D

Guest otchie1

You can re-use a nyloc as many times as you like so long as the nylon collar still offers resistance to being wound on by hand. It's still a nut that you need to torque up, it's just got an anti-jiggle loose nylon collar.

BMW motorcycle shaft bolts on the other hand are of the stretch variety and if you refit them they will rattle loose after a blat down the M4 leaving you stranded in a nice pub in Bristol :P

Next time I'll get Les to weld it on :lol:

You can re-use a nyloc as many times as you like so long as the nylon collar still offers resistance to being wound on by hand. It's still a nut that you need to torque up, it's just got an anti-jiggle loose nylon collar.

BMW motorcycle shaft bolts on the other hand are of the stretch variety and if you refit them they will rattle loose after a blat down the M4 leaving you stranded in a nice pub in Bristol :P

Next time I'll get Les to weld it on :lol:

BMW anything falls apart.

Guest otchie1
BMW anything falls apart.

A few miles later at about 160,000 the big end bearing went on one of the pots. Being a cheapskate I just stuck a new shell in there and changed the oil - worked fine for another 20k till I sold it. I had a look at the bores whilst I was at it - NicaSil admittedly but I could still see the original hone marks. Spent its whole life as a dispatch hack and thrived on it whilst maggots and GTs fell apart. BMW R80RTs only die when you crash them.