Prop removal

Does anybody know how this tool is used and whether it can be used with a touque wrench. Does it actually make it possible to get to the bolts with a wrench so they can be done up properly.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/P...moval_tool.html

I have one.

It's basically a long socket, so a torque wrench will work fine.

Mine has 1/2" square hole but I have seen 3/8" offered for sale as well. You might want to inquire before buying so you get the one that fits the torque wrench you have available.

I had a hell of a time trying to get in there with a torque wrench and then still couldn't turn it sufficently. If this works then it could save so much hasstle.

EDIT: I've sent them an email asking. Is it easy to use?

Yes it works, yes you could use it with a torque wrench.

I have one, I use it with an air ratchet, hand ratchet etc.

It generally only fits the nut on the most open side of the UJ, so it's still a bit of a faff, It's definitely a tool worth having though :)

How long does it take with two spanners?

'cos it takes a LOT less, with the long socket and an air ratchet :D

Even though you have to keep faffing about moving it back and forward to get the socket to fit? which you dont have to do with the spanners so long as you have rubber arms :lol:

As has been said there is nothing wrong with the theory of using spanners to undo or do up the bolts... However it has always taken me at least 15 minutes, if not more, of faffing about to remove a whole prop shaft with spanners and I generally round off at least one of them in the process! With the Difflock tool and an air wrench I can do the same job with no difficulties in less than 2 minutes... no brainer for me- worth buying.

Propshaft nuts are easy enough to get to as long as you have the correct spanners (some have a better shape than others) and I managed on my various LR's for nearly 20-years without any problems but I must admit that the propshaft-nut tool makes it an even easier job.

They are not expensive so I would just buy one to include in your toolkit, you won't regret it.

i bought new ones off e,bay. were only a couple of quid, if you re-use the bolts i would recomend you at least use new ny-loc nuts.

??? My props have been off and on about 7 times in the past 18 months.. I never even considered for a second getting new nuts or bolts untill such time they are too rounded to get off again.

??? My props have been off and on about 7 times in the past 18 months.. I never even considered for a second getting new nuts or bolts untill such time they are too rounded to get off again.

In my instance, I have bought over 5 sets to which I change the moment there is a jam on the edge. Besides I always replace any bolt or nut I touch. Especially when they have any rusty traits... I recall taking almost a day cutting and drilling out the nut under the shock absorver on my rear td5 110 99 mod... And also spray them with oil before putting it in.... :unsure: