Home made Turrets?

Got me thinking for the Lowbrid........

Unlike the Hybrid owners I need longer or same length turrets, the Std ones I have look boring.........thought about hacking then up by putting holes on them......... but thought of making my own.

OK its out of cardboard template at the mo, but you get my drift!

Picture006-copy.jpg

Picture007-copy.jpg

Got me thinking for the Lowbrid........

Unlike the Hybrid owners I need longer or same length turrets, the Std ones I have look boring.........thought about hacking then up by putting holes on them......... but thought of making my own.

OK its out of cardboard template at the mo, but you get my drift!

Picture006-copy.jpg

Picture007-copy.jpg

Nice idea......plenty of scope to add or remove bits and should work well............ :D

Guest WALFY

RT

Why use flat plate? Do you not have access to big round bar? Then just use a flat plate at the top to mount the shock through.

Guest WALFY
No doubt its what Les has in the inventing shed! ;) Its only stressed up and down so should be fine!

If it works out cheaper to make several sets I could help you bring the costs down if you get a set I'd have 1 as well ;)

Me like!

Mine was "first off" prototype so it has loads of room for improvement!

The Devon4x4 ones are as much as the tubed ones (About £70 the pair).

I'm sure Les can improve on the design, but landrover598 flat metal ones are nice and simple!

It would be better if the metal had a profile - rather than flat plate as it'll still flex to some degree - depending on how thick it is of course. I have a couple of old turrets here, so I'll have a bash/bend/cut/drill :)

Les.

Thanks mate :-)

One feature of David Lang's mounts I agree with is the requirement for a complete ring of metal at the base of the mount. The origional ones are made in a rather different way to the aftermarket ones, but on some of the after market ones its superfluace and can be rather wasteful to make in terms of the amount of metal you cut awy to make the ring.

Mine are made in a similar way, but with angle iron from old shelving as thats what I had to hand. So far they have proven strong/ridgid enough and easier to fit/remove thanks to not having a full ring at the bottom. The one down side to the angle iro is it makes it rather tight to get round the top of the mount for fitting the nut on the back of the realy (see below).

DSCF0145s.jpg

Here's what I had developed 1-2 years ago...they look quite similar.

post-76-1211281106_thumb.jpg

I have a front view pic somewhere but can't find it right now...

Guest WALFY
i made these up last month, can get the distance from base top what ever you need

Are they standard size? Do you you have a template for the verticals and ring?