A bizarre question.

Firstly, I'm new to this forum and Land Rover ownership so you may need to bear with me.

I recently invested in a 110 300tdi hardtop as a project. The chassis is near the end of its life so the first job is to replace that with a shiny new galvy one. A friend of mine owns a workshop in Bournemouth so I intend to do the work there. Unfortunately i live in Birmingham and worse still i have sourced a chassis which is also in Birmingham. My problem is transporting the chassis down to Bournemouth. I haven't got a trailer big enough. Hiring one would prove expensive as i would need to do the 160mile journey 3 times instead of once in order to return it within reasonable time. I've had a quote for delivery of over £200 which seems a lot to me. A friend from Bournemouth has offered to pick it up for me but again this would involve a total of three 160mile journeys to get the chassis and my 110 down there.

My question is, do you think it would be realistic and safe to put the chassis on the roof of my 110? I haven't got a suitable roofrack but could rest it on pallets to distribute the load and obviously strap it down very very well. Does anybody have any idea how much a 110 chassis weighs? Has anyone ever done this? I think i might be able to a get a local fork lift driver to put it onto the roof for me so lifting it shouldn't be a problem. My main concerns are that:

a) it would severely damage my roof,

b ) it will cause dangerous handling due to the top heavy load, and

c) it will attract unwanted attention from the police. I'm not even sure if this is legal as it would overhang my vehicle quite a lot at the back.

So, is this a really stupid idea or could it be done?

The overhang is about 3-foot maximum (you tie a brightly coloured cloth on it as well), so the length isn't an issue (or the width for that matter). I don't know how much a chassis weighs, but I bet it'll be interesting going round corners - you would sway alarmingly I would have thought. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

My 110 chassis weighed in at 270kg (although it is a military spec HD armoured one, so a bit heavier than a normal one) but evenso, still waaaaaaay to heavy for your roof.

you might as well get them to deliver it. by the time you've rented a trailer, driven up back down back up etc and paid the fuel and your time, the £200 seems woth it.

and £200 isn't much to pay to keep your licence/out of court/out of prison coz the chassis fell off and flattened someone. :blink::blink:

Just gone through this pain, I bought a 90 tdi "project" complete with new galvy chassis etc, I live in Cumbria, "project" was in Scarborough. I do have a 14ft Ifor Williams trailer, but we had to make two trips to get the lot back, we had envisaged strapping the chassis to the side of the 90 to bring it back, but in reality there was no way it would be safe. Mr Plod would I belive have had a field day, so it was one trip to collect the vehicle then back the next day for the chassis in all 350 miles !

Like everyone is saying it may be cheapest to take the delivery option or hire a trailer, shop around as they do come quite cheaply, a lot of Ifor dealers hire and I got a rate down to under £50.00 for the day when looking to get a 90 back from Liverpool for someone.

My 110 chassis weighed in at 270kg (although it is a military spec HD armoured one, so a bit heavier than a normal one) but evenso, still waaaaaaay to heavy for your roof.

you might as well get them to deliver it. by the time you've rented a trailer, driven up back down back up etc and paid the fuel and your time, the £200 seems woth it.

and £200 isn't much to pay to keep your licence/out of court/out of prison coz the chassis fell off and flattened someone. :blink::blink:

Notice what Jim says about the chassis weight.

The max roof load on a Defender is 75kg. You'll only be 100% over that limit.

mike

you would sway alarmingly I would have thought. Personally I wouldn't do it.
waaaaaaay to heavy for your roof.. £200 seems woth it.and £200 isn't much to pay to keep your licence/out of court/out of prison coz the chassis fell off and flattened someone. :blink::blink:

Les and Jim have given very wise words, and it will cost you a lot more than £200 if goes teets up

Crazy thought here, but what about making the chassis into a trailer?

Fit a rear axle to it, make an A-frame that fits to the front of the chassis, and fit a light bar?

Of course you'd need to have an axle to hand, but it would come in under 750Kg.

Apart from needing an axle, am i missing something blatantly obvious?

If you didn't have an axle and materials to make an A-frame to hand, I guess it wouldn't be cost effective.

As ^^^^.... this is actually how some companies deliver replacement chassis- turn one chassis into a trailer using a hitch attached to the front and an axle strapped underneath. They then put any others chassis on top of the 'trailer' and deliver them first.

I think steering well clear of strapping it to the roof is a very good idea- if the worst happened and you had an accident I am sure your insurance company (and possibly the Police) may well have a few 'questions'...

Firstly, I'm new to this forum and Land Rover ownership so you may need to bear with me.

I recently invested in a 110 300tdi hardtop as a project. The chassis is near the end of its life so the first job is to replace that with a shiny new galvy one. A friend of mine owns a workshop in Bournemouth so I intend to do the work there. Unfortunately i live in Birmingham and worse still i have sourced a chassis which is also in Birmingham. My problem is transporting the chassis down to Bournemouth. I haven't got a trailer big enough. Hiring one would prove expensive as i would need to do the 160mile journey 3 times instead of once in order to return it within reasonable time. I've had a quote for delivery of over £200 which seems a lot to me. A friend from Bournemouth has offered to pick it up for me but again this would involve a total of three 160mile journeys to get the chassis and my 110 down there.

My question is, do you think it would be realistic and safe to put the chassis on the roof of my 110? I haven't got a suitable roofrack but could rest it on pallets to distribute the load and obviously strap it down very very well. Does anybody have any idea how much a 110 chassis weighs? Has anyone ever done this? I think i might be able to a get a local fork lift driver to put it onto the roof for me so lifting it shouldn't be a problem. My main concerns are that:

a) it would severely damage my roof,

b ) it will cause dangerous handling due to the top heavy load, and

c) it will attract unwanted attention from the police. I'm not even sure if this is legal as it would overhang my vehicle quite a lot at the back.

So, is this a really stupid idea or could it be done?

NOOO!!! dont do that :o theres a unit up for grabs in telford on ebay.....120pound a month!!! go get it,he wouldnt let me spray,but its got a four poster and its a massive workshop!

Link^^?

Pete

Dont know how to do links :ph34r: im a bit dumb when it comes to these things! all i can say is it was advertised on ebay.workshop to let,it was adertised last week,my mrs has deleted the number too,ill have a look and see if i can find it.JUST been readvertised on ebay, WORKSHOP TO LET

Dont know how to do links :ph34r: im a bit dumb when it comes to these things! all i can say is it was advertised on ebay.workshop to let,it was adertised last week,my mrs has deleted the number too,ill have a look and see if i can find it.JUST been readvertised on ebay, WORKSHOP TO LET

Aren't there any hire companys that will hire a trailer one way ie pick up from a place near you and drop off near where your going!!!!????

Thanks for all your help guys. I think it would be fair to say the general consencous is...

...that's a stupid idea!

I didn't realise that the max roof load on a defender was so little. I really like the idea of turning the chassis into a trailer but the logistics of collecting all the necessary parts is probably a bit unrealistic for me. I think i'm just going to go for the expensive, but hassle free, route of getting it delivered.

Mate, google maps says 190 miles Wolverhampton to Bournemouth. That works out at £225, which he'd probably round up to £250....

I reckon Diesel for me to get it would be about £100 - £120 + a few quid to Pete for the loan of his trailer. So it'll probably save you upto £100 if you're lucky.

Your call. Let me know asap so I can do the necessary to stop my gearbox oil falling out at an alarming rate first!

Mate, google maps says 190 miles Wolverhampton to Bournemouth. That works out at £225, which he'd probably round up to £250....

I reckon Diesel for me to get it would be about £100 - £120 + a few quid to Pete for the loan of his trailer. So it'll probably save you upto £100 if you're lucky.

Your call. Let me know asap so I can do the necessary to stop my gearbox oil falling out at an alarming rate first!

Cheers for that mate. I really appreciate it. It would be a killer drive for you. Probably a 7 hour round trip. Certain to cause 'Defender Elbow'. I'd prefer not to put you to so much trouble but if you really don't mind, like i said, it would be hugely appreciated. There will be Jointace capsules waiting for you on arrival to ease that elbow pain. Feel free to round the Diesel bill up as you see fit.

At the moment i can't get hold of the guy on the phone so it looks like nothing is going to be happening until after Sunday. Bit frustrating! Obviously there is a possibility it won't be happening at all. Fingers crossed that won't be the case. As far as timing is concerned, it is really up to you mate. At your convenience.

What's wrong with your gearbox? Is it just seals or is it officially dying? Sounds like the next job will be replacing it. You know how i like a good workout! ;) If you think it might struggle to do the journey don't worry about it mate. There's always the delivery option.

I have been informed by the 'yes dear' that i'm not allowed to play Land Rover fixing on Sunday 15th. Turns out that i've already commited myself to girlfriend duties. Other than that i'm aiming to be down on probably Wednesday (11th) so hopefully get stuck in from then onwards (apart from the sunday). The MOT expires on the 18th and i go on holiday for 10 days on the 24th so they are the target dates. I'm sure Mr Stunning Services will be happy to finish it all off if necessary.

As an aside I saw that unit on ebay, its a share of a unit at 125 quid per month per car... here was me thinking it was for the whole thing... I'd have moved house for that :lol:

Mike

I didnt realise that? still its good though for the money even if you have to share...mike just thinking.......my wife wont miss me,do you think yours would? we could go halves on one landy at a time and maybe get a couple o bunk beds?? :ph34r: you could say something like"my dearest and nearest,im afraid you are just to selfish,theres nothing wrong with a four poster ramp and it wouldnt squash your geraniums at all,im moving out!"ill do it if you do :ph34r::ph34r:

Cheers for that mate. I really appreciate it. It would be a killer drive for you. Probably a 7 hour round trip. Certain to cause 'Defender Elbow'. I'd prefer not to put you to so much trouble but if you really don't mind, like i said, it would be hugely appreciated. There will be Jointace capsules waiting for you on arrival to ease that elbow pain. Feel free to round the Diesel bill up as you see fit.

At the moment i can't get hold of the guy on the phone so it looks like nothing is going to be happening until after Sunday. Bit frustrating! Obviously there is a possibility it won't be happening at all. Fingers crossed that won't be the case. As far as timing is concerned, it is really up to you mate. At your convenience.

What's wrong with your gearbox? Is it just seals or is it officially dying? Sounds like the next job will be replacing it. You know how i like a good workout! ;) If you think it might struggle to do the journey don't worry about it mate. There's always the delivery option.

I have been informed by the 'yes dear' that i'm not allowed to play Land Rover fixing on Sunday 15th. Turns out that i've already commited myself to girlfriend duties. Other than that i'm aiming to be down on probably Wednesday (11th) so hopefully get stuck in from then onwards (apart from the sunday). The MOT expires on the 18th and i go on holiday for 10 days on the 24th so they are the target dates. I'm sure Mr Stunning Services will be happy to finish it all off if necessary.

I'd be stopping off at the folks place half way on each journey..! As for the gearbox I think it's the drain plug that's leaking a bit where the copper washer isn't sealing as well as it should, but going to get Pete to have a look for a second opinion. Knowing my luck it'll be seals too.

I've got a 'yes dear' day on the 15th too so won't be about then either. Oh, Pete reckons it'd be more cost effective for you to get a full chassis to body bolt kit, and just undo all the current stuff with Mr Gas Axe, rather than faff around with spanners. Might even be worth considering a new bush kit too if we're taking that much stuff apart...

I'd be stopping off at the folks place half way on each journey..! As for the gearbox I think it's the drain plug that's leaking a bit where the copper washer isn't sealing as well as it should, but going to get Pete to have a look for a second opinion. Knowing my luck it'll be seals too.

I've got a 'yes dear' day on the 15th too so won't be about then either. Oh, Pete reckons it'd be more cost effective for you to get a full chassis to body bolt kit, and just undo all the current stuff with Mr Gas Axe, rather than faff around with spanners. Might even be worth considering a new bush kit too if we're taking that much stuff apart...

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure we'd encounter a few arguementative fixings so it would soon pay for itself. I'm not sure how confident I would feel about stainless for mechanical fixings though mate. I've always been under the impression that stainless has got a poor shear resistance. Is there a high tensile kit available? What are the standard fixings made of? I'll get the paddocks bush kit anyway. Sounds like some of the existing ones might get melted.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure we'd encounter a few arguementative fixings so it would soon pay for itself. I'm not sure how confident I would feel about stainless for mechanical fixings though mate. I've always been under the impression that stainless has got a poor shear resistance. Is there a high tensile kit available? What are the standard fixings made of? I'll get the paddocks bush kit anyway. Sounds like some of the existing ones might get melted.

Standard bolts are normaly all 8.8 (High Tensile). Not sure what the ones in the stainless kit were, but there are varying grades of stainless, so you can get High tensile ones. If you can find a regular 8.8 kit then get that, but my quick search only turned up the stainless ones.

The bushes shouldn't get melted, but some of them were looking a bit 2nd hand, and with everything apart it's the ideal time to change them.

Update: Link