Helmet for competing

I hope that many will read this thread and start to wear helmets without having to be asked.

This would do away with the need for many regs and generally make things safer for everyone

I suspect that once a fairly large proportion choose to wear helmets that is likely to hasten organisers to bring in regulations requiring them.

I believe this is roughly what happened with the introduction legislation requiring crash helmets on motorcycles and a similar thing with the wearing of seatbelts although I'm prepared to be wrong..

and my daddys bigger than yours... get a grip :P

have you tried ringing a helmet manufacturer? perhaps ask about how to identify compression damage to the lining of a previously hit helmet?

perhaps we need Neals input on the liability in reference to PPE meeting a minimum standard to be eligable to enter a competition - and specifically if that places the responsibility of "fit for purpose" onto the organisers and how they propose to judge at what point a helmet is beyond its useful life?

yeah yeah, i understand your point but in reality a helmet will take a few small knocks with no problem, obviously the helmet manufacturer would not agree with that.

and my daddys bigger than yours... get a grip :P

:lol:

Cool video clip, looks great fun, helmets are probably a good idea when hitting stuff that fast and hard :o

That looks to me like an ordinary pay and play day in the uk. Brain in the glove box and floor it!

Daan

"

Jezus Jim, I've got a 4.2 Turbo Patrol but it wont shift like that (I think)

But after watching that it could be time for a re-think

Mate,

You would be staggered what they do with them. They take the 4.2, 4.5 and 4.8 straight sixes bolt a turbo the size of my engine to the side of theres and take off !

Andrew Cassar, Pete Mikalof and Adam Bird (and many others)all do this. Birdie went down the quarter mile in sub 14 secs :blink: and his is not considered the fastest :ph34r:

@Daan: Your not wrong :lol: Whats your thought on helmets? You usaully have a different take on stuff like this?

Thoughts?

Jim

Ps: That entire DVD will be available for the Gigglepin stand @ Billing :) or just come and watch as we'll have the DVD running all weekend.........Bring beer....

Mate,

You would be staggered what they do with them. They take the 4.2, 4.5 and 4.8 straight sixes bolt a turbo the size of my engine to the side of theres and take off !

Andrew Cassar, Pete Mikalof and Adam Bird (and many others)all do this. Birdie went down the quarter mile in sub 14 secs :blink: and his is not considered the fastest :ph34r:

@Daan: Your not wrong :lol: Whats your thought on helmets? You usaully have a different take on stuff like this?

Thoughts?

Jim

Ps: That entire DVD will be available for the Gigglepin stand @ Billing :) or just come and watch as we'll have the DVD running all weekend.........Bring beer....

jim- can i pre order a dvd just now then as i wont be at billing?

Mate,

Thoughts?

Jim

Thoughts?

Jim

I have to say helmets are a good thing. I suppose imposing the full MSA spec is going a bit far IMO, but in case there is a liability claim, that is probably the only save way to do it and covers all angles. Its inconvenient, but a good thing I think.

A shame that the safety- and helmet thread on the devon site turned into a complete load of headless chicken, sounding like the type of conversation which I can also get in the pub down the road.

That is my take on the whole situation, since you asked!

Daan

Maybe you can bring us the dvd on an evening @ Billing and have a chat, we'll be at Dieter's stand (D&G Tuning) and have FREE Belgium draught beer (is this correct english) the whole weekend!

rgds

H.

P.S. sorry to interrupt this interesting conversation

Maybe you can bring us the dvd on an evening @ Billing and have a chat, we'll be at Dieter's stand (D&G Tuning) and have FREE Belgium draught beer (is this correct english) the whole weekend!

rgds

H.

No no no you have our complete attention do continue

"Check this out : http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Movies/EngelTeaser2.wmv

Imagine doing that without a helmet ? "

Jezus Jim, I've got a 4.2 Turbo Patrol but it wont shift like that (I think)

But after watching that it could be time for a re-think

Grate clip have you seen some of the Dave Metkarf challenge rounds DVD's just as good to watch...

I'm working hard trying to talk my local MSA club in to starting challenges as there trailing number are down to only a few competitors but I think I will keep that one back because as far as there concerned challenges are a fatality waiting to happen (this is a club which has been trialing and compsafaris for over thirty years :unsure: its a uphill battle I will probably lose.

Joking aside there is nothing happening in those clips that you wouldn't see on a average comp safari just different trucks.

rgds

H.

Sounds like a plan......... :)

There are going to be some sore heads.........Again :D

Is Dieter bringing his big LS monster?

@Daan: I am afraid you are right about the other thread, shame as there where some good thoughts.

I tend to agree with yourself that helmets is common sense and that if brought in sensibly would be a very worth while thing to do.

I was out yesterday test driving a new car, they are so quick now and cover the ground so fast and deal with terrian in an unbelieve manner, that you can find yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly :lol:

A crash helmet is a must for that kind of car.

Jim

Sounds like a plan......... :)

There are going to be some sore heads.........Again :D

Is Dieter bringing his big LS monster?

@Daan: I am afraid you are right about the other thread, shame as there where some good thoughts.

I tend to agree with yourself that helmets is common sense and that if brought in sensibly would be a very worth while thing to do.

I was out yesterday test driving a new car, they are so quick now and cover the ground so fast and deal with terrian in an unbelieve manner, that you can find yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly :lol:

A crash helmet is a must for that kind of car.

Jim

And maybe some sonar eh Jim????? ;)

finally managed to get to the crash hat shop today and came away with 2 shiny new skidlids,both for £100 :)

Paul B)

Marsie

any chance of some pics/specs of helmets , and where you bought your head protection from ?

need to get one before manby and deffently for tay

I did done some testing on a south African product which is a cheaper version of the hans device for a mate which was looking at marketing them in the uk I pursonaly found for racing I didn't it that restrictive supprisingly enough and was quite happy to wear it after a few laps of racing but for challenging and the current uk events its IMHO massive over kill and simply would not work.

Slight OT,,!! Jules,, If the South African version of the Hans devise, can get past FIA approval,, and can be supplied cheaper,, IE under £500 each, they will be onto a winner !!

We have to go down the Hans route for 1st Jan next year,, around £2k for Post helmets and the neck restraint !!!

Slight OT,,!! Jules,, If the South African version of the Hans devise, can get past FIA approval,, and can be supplied cheaper,, IE under £500 each, they will be onto a winner !!

We have to go down the Hans route for 1st Jan next year,, around £2k for Post helmets and the neck restraint !!!

If your intrested I will dig out some info

This where we are headed, and i would like helmets to be complusory sooner rather than later.......

Check this out : http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Movies/EngelTeaser2.wmv

Imagine doing that without a helmet ?

If this is where were heading then lets hurry up and get there. That's awesome, Just the kind of driving I like :D . Jim, Find me some of them big axles so I can!!!!!