Horse Trailers - Equitrek?

EdF

Lots of Landy owners tow horse trailers, and we're just about to buy one after several years with lorries. Has anyone experience of Equitrek trailers? Nags travel backwards but the trailers seem as if they'd have a high centre of gravity.. Thanks..

Lots of Landy owners tow horse trailers, and we're just about to buy one after several years with lorries. Has anyone experience of Equitrek trailers? Nags travel backwards but the trailers seem as if they'd have a high centre of gravity.. Thanks..

Can't comment on the equitrek - sorry.

Have done and still do a fair amount of work with various Ifor trailers though - both the HB505 and the HB510. Both are very well put together - the older ones more so than the later ones for some reason.... Light and airy inside and very robust. They all tow well behind my 110, the horses are happy, and they can be seen from within the car as the trailer has a front window at a perfect height for the centre rear view mirror.

I've used others, including Sinclair (light but suspension a bit weak) and Rice (heavy, tow well but early ones had plain wood floor with no other support so watch for rot) but would stick to Ifor Williams if given the choice.

Just my 2 worth.

Matt

Thanks for comments so far, we have a 90 manual, but I posted here as well as many Disco owners tow horse trailers. We used to have an Ifor Williams 505 about 10 years ago but SWMBO doesn't like the ride and the rattly leaf springs so we were opting for one with 'Indespension' type suspension. We were opting for an Equitrek as the horses travel backwards like in our present truck, which her nag prefers, but the bigger 3 axle trailers weigh an awful lot and you need a REALLY powerful and heavy 4X4 to tow one effectively. An owner we met some years back said his Disco wouldn't manage the colossal Equitrek he'd bought and he'd bought a Toymota Amazon instead, so we were looking at the 'Space Treka', the smallest and a twin axle. At 9'6" high it's too tall to go in the barn, though... The only other rear-facing trailer we know of is the Richardson Supreme Excel.

(For those wondering why horses like travelling backwards, stand facing a wall, imagine you're standing, trying to keep your balance in a vehicle doing 50mph which suddently brakes hard (as many vehicles pull out in front of you so they don't get 'stuck' behind you). What's the first thing you'll feel? Yep, your mush hitting the wall. Now turn round with your arse against the wall, what will now absorb the impact? Seen the size of a horse's arse??!!)

For those male readers of a younger age, don't get involved with a girl who likes horses, unless you're rich - and want to stay rich and want to do something other than go to horse events..

They seem to be very nice - if you like spending that sort of money!!

Ifor Williams do a nice little range of horse boxes for substantially less money, but as always, you get what you pay for. That by no means infers that Ifor are inferior products, by the way. I'm more than pleased with the one my father recently purchased!

I know what you mean about girls and horses....

(2 younger sisters - both horse mad...)

Personally I've never found the ride to be harsh or rattly with the Ifor trailers - and I really don't go much on the indespension type suspension on makes such as the Richardson - give them a couple of years and you need to swap them out as the rubbers start to break up and the camber gets thrown out....

I'm sure I've seen an Ifor which was converted to rear facing - I can't see that being too hard to do providing the trailer is big enough.

In the couple of trucks I've used the horses are loaded diagonally so you get the best of both worlds...

Matt

I'm sure I've seen an Ifor which was converted to rear facing - I can't see that being too hard to do providing the trailer is big enough.

In the couple of trucks I've used the horses are loaded diagonally so you get the best of both worlds...

Matt

not quite as simple as that, the suspension has to be set up correctly for rear facing - due to horses being front heavy or the trailer has a tendency to snake.

that being said I seem to recall seeing a rear facing Ifor too.

We bought a 510 earlier this year (just before they changed the style) and we looked at the equitrek but couldn't justify the added expense. Never had an issue with the ride the nags are quite happy and the suspension works well with one or two in it. Had a 505 before but that wasn't big enough for her new horse :rolleyes: (up to four at present). Also had a Bayhill, Rice and Richardson and wouldn't go back.

not quite as simple as that, the suspension has to be set up correctly for rear facing - due to horses being front heavy or the trailer has a tendency to snake.

that being said I seem to recall seeing a rear facing Ifor too.

We bought a 510 earlier this year (just before they changed the style) and we looked at the equitrek but couldn't justify the added expense. Never had an issue with the ride the nags are quite happy and the suspension works well with one or two in it. Had a 505 before but that wasn't big enough for her new horse :rolleyes: (up to four at present). Also had a Bayhill, Rice and Richardson and wouldn't go back.

Thanks for that. Further from SWMBO, as I asked her last night why she wants an Equitrek.. 'I't's not just open at the back with a fairly basic body, the horses travel backwards and are enclosed like our lorry...' This stems from when we had the IW trailer and on a dual carriageway an artic driver decided he would get as close to the trailer as he could, presumably to spook the horses, which he did. Obviously with rear-facing and the horse's looking out an open back, this would probably happen again. I'm not keen on an Equitrek as the workmanship wasn't too good, initially at any rate, and it won't go in the barn, and I suspect the trailer might be top-heavy with the floor over the wheels rather than 'between' the wheels, as on more conventional makes. I think I'd like to find someone with one first, though.. Doesn't prove they're bad by saying summat else is right... About £1200 difference..

Thanks for that. Further from SWMBO, as I asked her last night why she wants an Equitrek.. 'I't's not just open at the back with a fairly basic body, the horses travel backwards and are enclosed like our lorry...' This stems from when we had the IW trailer and on a dual carriageway an artic driver decided he would get as close to the trailer as he could, presumably to spook the horses, which he did. Obviously with rear-facing and the horse's looking out an open back, this would probably happen again. I'm not keen on an Equitrek as the workmanship wasn't too good, initially at any rate, and it won't go in the barn, and I suspect the trailer might be top-heavy with the floor over the wheels rather than 'between' the wheels, as on more conventional makes. I think I'd like to find someone with one first, though.. Doesn't prove they're bad by saying summat else is right... About £1200 difference..

Hi there EDF, we have over the years used mosts makes of trailor and lorry and can honestly say that the design and execution of our current Cheval Liberté trailor is second to none..

For example, front or rear facing, front or rear unload, at the rear ramp or door opening (really useful!!), options like Pullman suspension which includes helical springs and dampers!! Galvanised chassis, folding jockey wheel etc etc. The rear door option has been a complete revelation to someone like me who has been loading horses on ramps for 25yrs.

The site to have a look is here: http://www.cheval-liberte.co.uk/

Hope that helps,

Dave

For example, front or rear facing,

The site to have a look is here: http://www.cheval-liberte.co.uk/

Hope that helps,

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for that, we just had a look at the site and the 'Pullman' suspension looks great, must be the best you can get on a trailer,

but there was no mention of a rear facing option.

Eddie

We've been happy with Ivor Williams Hunter trailers. They are a bit agricultual, but robust and easy to live with. I'd be interested to know about the more modern style of trailers, but they just don;t sem so bomb proof.

Cheers

Blippie

We've been happy with Ivor Williams Hunter trailers. They are a bit agricultual, but robust and easy to live with. I'd be interested to know about the more modern style of trailers, but they just don;t sem so bomb proof.

Cheers

Blippie

We had an Ifor Williams Hunter a few years ago, before our three (count 'em) lorries.. Yes, okay, basic and probably the best forward facing, but SWMBO wants the nag to face backwards, same as our present lorry, which is being sold due to lack of use. Coincidentally, I viewed a new Equitrek trailer today at a dealer and my fears above seem justified, very high up, small wheels, and it didn't seem very robust.. Having seen three trailers overturn on main roads, one in front of me, which caused a major RTA with probable fatalities, I'm somewhat wary.. The only things which came away in one piece were the two ponies in the trailer, which scampered off. Last time I towed a horse trailer (borrowed) I had a very sophisticated anti-snaking stabiliser, which I'll buy again if still available (from SAS).

Another vote for the Ivor Williams,, ours is 8 year old now, and still used regularly, even with a upgrade to a 7.5 ton lorry,,so 3 could be taken !!

Did borrow a Equitrek trailer for a couple of events,, towed OK, etc, but felt it would not take the same about of work / Horse abuse and be in the same condition as the IW after 10 years or so

Never felt the need for a anti-snake device, certainly behind a LR product :)

Regardless of what you are towing - you have to be aware of it's capabilities. Most accidents involving trailers are due to either lack of experience or lack of maintenance. (and lack of an anti-snake device in some cases)

I've seen some nice van conversions - something with a low floor like a Movano would be good. Although it costs more than a trailer, it will behave much better on the road and likely be safer for all concerned.

Si

this thread was duplicated in the discovery forum - perhaps a kind mod would merge the two?

Just tried but it would appear that it needs to be somebody with global mod rights as I can't do it.

Henson! Stop bending valves and get your butt in here :rtfm::lol:

LOL. Si, you just did me no favours!! Why? because yesterday we sold our Vauxhall Movano horsebox/campervan and my wife did not want to see it go! We had it custom built 4 years ago and it was GREAT. BUT, it was £15,000 sitting there doing nothing as the nags health is questionable and it has only been used as a horsebox about 6 times in the last year, and not at all this year. As I already have a Landy, it seemed best to sell it and get another trailer. SWMBO just did a Google search for 'horse trailer accidents' and this thread came up.. I haven't seen recent replies, perhaps as it changed forums.

So far, we have come up with two forward-facing trailers, the whole Equitrek range, the smallest of which we viewed two days ago, and the Rice/Richardson 'Supreme Excel', which we are going to view soon at the makers in York. After witnessing the accidents I mentioned above, the worst of which occurred on the old dual c'way between Glasgow and Kilmarnock, which had no central reservation AT ALL (now updated to a motorway), which was caused by the trailer snaking viciously and throwing its towing Disco I into the oncoming traffic, the trailer then turning over (right in front of me and it was doing dead on 50mph) I want whatever means I can get to prevent that happening to us. I think the lady driver twitched the wheel as she thought a small van was going to pull out of a layby in front of her.

Last time I towed a caravan (after seeing photos in a police traffic dept. of a smallish caravan on a long hill on its wheels but its towing Rangey was on its side !) I had a 'Snakemaster' stabiliser (SAS Products - £200). The inventor claimed (then) that no trailer had ever snaked and turned over using one, and it certainly ironed out the bumps and the outfit felt 'tighter' when towing. I can't tell you how it works, but it does not use a simple 'friction' device to control the trailer, like most stabilisers, but actually forces a trailer back into line if it gets out of shape, yet does not affect cornering.. I've done an awful lot of towing and at one time had five different trailers, a caravan, horse trailer, twin axle flatbed and two smaller ones, and I've never got into trouble, and I don't want to, having seen the consequences.

Have other readers ever noticed that some drivers of 4x4's towing big 4 wheeled trailers invariably drive too fast? Bravado? Showing off? Lets hope their trailers stays where they're supposed to..

Our last trailer 10 years ago was an Ifor Williams, so we know about them, what I wanted to know was whether anyone had any experience of Equitrek, but after seeing one I'd like one with more protection. This is my opinion and I don't want to detract from a trailer which has a great design.

One of the main problems when towing any trailer is other drivers. We once had an artic driver come right up behind our horse trailer, deliberately trying to spook the horse. Another favourite is that many drivers will pull out in front of you trying to get in front quickly so that they don't get stuck behind you. Trouble is, you have to drive very steadily as you have one or two horses in the back trying to keep their feet, so invariably you have to brake hard to avoid the other vehicle, risking injury to the horses. Incidentally, I always pulled over to let traffic past..

The axle spacing on equitrek trailers is greater than most standard trailers, expect to scrub out tyres quicker, and watch the all up weight, easy to tip over the 3500 kg mark , especially if you get one of the equitreks with the living on the front, lots of space to fill up with all the things you never needed to take with you in the first place

As with all glastonite or fibreglass boxes, if they become damaged and water gets in, the panels de-laminate, the structural integrity of the trailer is then compromised and can be very costly to repair.

Stick with ifor williams or rice/richardson , you will not go far wrong

the wife uses a Bateson DERBY 55, at the mo, but with 6 horses she's looking at selling the Disco and bateson, buying another HORSEBOX (HAD ONE PREVIOUSLY)......we used to tow a SINCLAIR 4 horse trailer behind a 110......37ft in length total :o ....which had well decent living area...She will be looking at something like a Renault/Vauxhall, jobbie

the wife uses a Bateson DERBY 55, at the mo, but with 6 horses she's looking at selling the Disco and bateson, buying another HORSEBOX (HAD ONE PREVIOUSLY)......we used to tow a SINCLAIR 4 horse trailer behind a 110......37ft in length total :o ....which had well decent living area...She will be looking at something like a Renault/Vauxhall, jobbie

Thanks for the latest replies. The horsebox we just sold was great, but before that we bought a dog. It was a Vauxhall Movano which had been made into a horsebox in Yorks. from a crashed panel van, not a truck cab. There are several outfits making these and their prices look appealing and they're advertised widely. They're tarted up with a flash paint job and decals down the sides. With a cursory inspection they look ideal. When I got ours home I discovered that the only thing holding the van together was about 150 small self tappers into Glasonite - plywood with a GRP laminate on top which many truck bodies are made from. If a horse had fallen against the side it would have gone out taking the van side with it. Looking underneath, there were no sills and the exposed bottom edges of the plywood body sides were exposed. Wonder how long that would have lasted with the spray from the wheels? As the integrity of the panel van had been lost - there was only the front and sides of the cab and the floor left of the original vehicle, having all been replaced with a plywood box, you can imagine how safe it was.. Another point to watch with trucks is the weight restriction. Very few 3500Kg trucks can carry two horses and be within the gross weight limit. The unladen weight of ours was 2700Kg. We have friends with a big 7.5 ton 'three horse' box and after a visit to a weighbridge our friends discovered they could only legally carry ONE horse! Once heard of a brand new box with full living stopped by the law being delivered to its new owner from the maker and it was overweight empty! The law is getting hot on this..