More rubbish from Greenpeace

Les Henson

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/climate/clima...ndrover/faq.cfm

If this is right, then I'm lucky to still be alive!

No it isn't. Because of their height and the way they're made, SUVs like Land Rovers are actually more dangerous than average cars. The driver of an SUV can see less of the road and the size and weight of an SUV means that they have more impact in a crash. A 2004 US federal traffic data report shows that people driving or riding in a sports utility vehicle are nearly 11% more likely to die than people in ordinary cars. SUV's are more than twice as likely to be involved in a fatal rollover as ordinary cars.

I used to have a lot of respect for Greenpeace, not any more. The rubbish they spout and their 'politics' just make them another group of idiots.

Les.

I understood that the Defender (in terms of deaths per 1000 accidents) was supposed to be on a par with the Mercedes S-class, and just about the safest thing on the road. Can't quite see it myself, with the squashy roof - anyone know the source for it?

Must say, I was tempted to sign up as a climate change activitist - in fact, I might make some changes later today by going out for a non-essential journey in the RR to look at the snow. :P

SUVs like Land Rovers are actually more dangerous than average cars. The driver of an SUV can see less of the road

That's odd. I find that when I'm in the LR and stuck behind the ubiquitous euro box I can see past it and see far more of the road than when I'm in a 'normal' car. What utter bollox they spout.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/climate/clima...ndrover/faq.cfm

If this is right, then I'm lucky to still be alive!

I used to have a lot of respect for Greenpeace, not any more. The rubbish they spout and their 'politics' just make them another group of idiots.

Les.

Good for a laugh though!!!!

The best one is

Question - how to get Land Rover to stop making 'gas guzzling' vehicles.....

Answer - Write to the boss of Land Rover and tell him to stop making gas-guzzlers....

That'll do it then....... what utter rubbish!!!!!!!

I'm another person who a few years ago quite sympathised with Greenpeace point of view but as long as they spout this type of tosh they continue to diminish in credibility. long may it continue I say, until their followers cotton on that thay are being led by a bunch of numptys who are unable to string together a credible political argument.

My Discovery 2 td5 was just as economical as my current Toyota Corrolla t-Sport.

Question - what is the best thing the French have ever done????

Great cuisine???, great wine?????, Autoroutes?????

Answer - Nah - sinking the first Rainbow warrior...... :lol: (with of course due deference and respect to the Photographer who 'bought it' in the incident)

Lastly it strikes me the LR/Ford could have grounds for a legal challenge to some of the tosh that is posted on the site. Singling LR/Ford , making no mention of BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Jeep etc etc seems to me that the legal begals could get to work on some of the misleading statements affecting the companies reputation, standing and business potential........ or they could just sink Rainbow Warrior II :lol:

Lastly it strikes me the LR/Ford could have grounds for a legal challenge to some of the tosh that is posted on the site.
I thought 'trade libel' whilst reading it too - but the risk of it turning into another 'McLibel' saga must be a slight disincentive.

Actually I had a spare 10 mins this PM (well it is a bank holiday) and the amount of anti-LR propaganda (AKA Drivel) on this site is actually quite extensive and it amazingly makes no mention what so ever (at least that I can see) of any other 4x4 manufacturer.

I could almost stomach some of this rubbish if it targetted other 4x4 manufacturers too but no it is purely Land Rover - ironically this is the manufacturer that makes the one 4x4 they just about approve of (Only when used correctly of course ie off road) - The Defender.

BMW. Mercedes make no comparable vehicle and market their SUV's/4x4's purely as lifestyle accessories - yes of course LR do that too with certain models in the range but at least they have the good grace to make a vehicle to be used in way compatible with Greenpeace's 'acceptable 4x4 use policy'.

All this rubbish makes me want to do is go out and buy a big 4x4 just to make a statement ie

This is s free country (well OK it was) and I will drive what the hell I want.

Remember I don't own or drive one at present but this tactic of unfairly targetting LR just makes me want to go out an buy one, well done Greenpeace you've just added to the problem of climate change.........

Just to sound a note of caution: those stats are from 2-car collisions, so the biggest/heaviest cars [def/disco, Jag xj, Mercs s/sec] would look statistically safer, while in a car/lorry collision it's a different matter. Equally, cars leaving the road then rolling over without the involvement of another car [quite a regular LR happening it seems <_<] aren't included.

To try to understand the way other drivers view us, here's an instance. It was nice to see, this morning, a fellow defender parked near me; although I'd say the driver's not necessarily making friends for us, narrowing a slippery icy road, creating a chicane [that has its advantages — sounding a note of caution to drivers, keep the speed down — although I doubt they see it that way, especially Eg the plough man who has to inch past.] german plates, too; [typical?]

gallery_45_13_109121.png

Greenpeace approve of Defenders but only for proper use like, err, carting snowballs from Scotland to London...

4245.jpg

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/contentlookup...4&MenuPoint=G-A

The artist Andy Goldsworthy has released 13 giant snowballs on the streets of the City of London.

The 6-7 foot snowballs will be left to melt and public reactions recorded via webcam's for broadcast on this site and at www.eyestorm.com.

The snowballs were made from Scottish snow last winter and transferred from cold storage down to London on midsummmer's eve.

If you do the maths, 13 heavily laden trips in a Defender from Scotland to London is a lot of global warming to make a point about global warming. Not to mention the electricity used to keep 13 tons of snow in cold storage :blink: What a bunch of hippocrites.

What I don't understand is why manufacturer's of sports cars that achieve about 7MPG aren't being targeted. About half of the sports saloons that come out of Germany have supercharged V8's and it's hardly necessary to go from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds!!!!!!

I'm new by the way!

Al.

Told Swmbo greenpeaces ditty her reply "well that's total BS" and she drives a nissan primera!!!

However greenpeace stance is true though.............. 4x4 suv's are safer than all other vehicles including bicycles and horses and that you can see further whilst driving them oh hang on what would the great unwashed know................. :D

I notice commercial vehicles (which are big and guzzle gas) aren't targetted, so presumably if you drive a Landy with no rear windows or a Disco/Freebie commercial you're a good person, but if it's got windows you're the spawn of satan. :rolleyes:

By the same logic as long as your 110 seats more than 8 people it's a minibus which is also fine for the environment...

I notice commercial vehicles (which are big and guzzle gas) aren't targetted, so presumably if you drive a Landy with no rear windows or a Disco/Freebie commercial you're a good person, but if it's got windows you're the spawn of satan. :rolleyes:

I reckon you are correct.

Greenpeace have been active around here and sticking their "Public Aware - this gas guzzling 4 x 4 ......" leaflets and imitation wheelclamps on all the 4 x 4s around here. A Range Rover, couple of Discos, 2 Freebies, a J33p, Merc and Volvo all got targetted the same night. The only 4 x 4 to escape the treatment was my Defender and guess what - its a hardtop! :rolleyes:

Where were they parked on the street, in a carpark, on a driveway?

there could be legal implications for them doing this!!! plus if the did it to mine I keep the wheel clamp and sell it back to them.................

They were all parked in the street, but as I said the wheel clamps are imitation. The "clamps" are made of yellow cardboard and are held onto the wheel with a couple of laccy bands. The "clamps" gave the usual anti 4 x 4 slogans. I haven't seen imitation clamps until now, and I rushed home to get my camera, but by the time I returned the owners had removed the "clamps" and posters.

Where were they parked on the street, in a carpark, on a driveway?

there could be legal implications for them doing this!!! plus if the did it to mine I keep the wheel clamp and sell it back to them.................

The more they did this to me the more I would want to drive a 4x4, it wouldn't disaude me one little bit in fact it would spur me on to trade up to something that uses even more fuel.......