Drop arm balljoint

ok, i'm going to have a go at this tonight.

I'm going to buy this puller - anyone got one, is it likely to fall apart? it's the only one local which I can find....

Thanks

I got a 10 ton 2/3 leg puller bearing separator

on ebay. They all seem to use the same central hydraulic piece and work well.

Alternatively, a pitman puller works well

31VyX9Ia8IL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

there is this but i didn't know if it would be tough enough?

I changed my drop-arm ball joint a few weeks ago and though it would be easier if I could remove the drop ram.

I tried a small 4" puller like the one above, the end of the arms broke off.

I then tried a bashing the lugs from above with a 3ft 1" dia. steel bar and 4lb sledge hammer, which slipped off the lugs every other hit and it's quite tiring holding the 3ft bar, a 4lb sledge and balancing on the bumper and then having to move the steering from lock to lock to reach the lugs every other go. I was also worried that the downward forces on the internals would eventually damage something. But the lugs can just about be reached even with power steering but I couldn't get a good vertical position so the blows were always slightly oblique with a sideways force component.

I gave up and bought a 6" puller which was unable to get a good grip on the now battered lugs ... I could wind up the tension but it would always slip off at the wrong moment even after the lugs were filed flat again.

Fortunately I was able to change it in-situ but I did consider buying the hydraulic puller but I reckon you need something like the pitman puller above with some form of slotted disc or bearing puller that can slip over the top of the arm.

ok, so this really is a b*tch.

I've tried pulling, wacking, blood sweat and tears, but it won't budge.

I've rang a local garage, they have the tools if I can get it to them - it's about 4 miles away, but with no steering, i've no idea how to get it there?

I cant believe something so simple can be so difficult to get off!

looks like a couple of hours work to remove and replace - i will be doing it next week on my disco, and as the new PAS box doesn't come with a drop arm attached, I will be taking it to a machine shop to have the old one removed!

you probably spend the same amount of time leathering it with a hammer as it would take to remove and replace it :)

I've done this a couple of times on my old defender, first time was a bitch as it had been on there since new.

We got it off by putting a 10-tonne hydraulic puller on it, winding it up then leaving it to stand, after a while we just tapped it with a small hammer all around, we kept this up for about 10 mins, then the drop arm pinged off....

i've known people bust hydraulic presses doing this job, and end up completely trashing the steering box output shaft splines...

not fun, but i reckon technique is as important as brute force...

I am not sure that leaving it will have any effect. You might try winding up the tension and then hitting the back of the arm hard with a steel hammer. The idea being that you can deform the hole in the arm and off it pops.

I never did manage to get the arm off the one on my 90, I just had to fit a new arm when I changed the steering box.

Note to Orange: Don't worry, the new one is on just tight enough and with a whole load of grease!

Chris

it seems you're right - cant budge it.

For the time being, I've put the balljoint back together just so it has some steering. I suppose I'll have to either get the garage (Brooklyn 4x4) to have a look, or get a new steering box to put the new arm on (which should also get rid of the play in the steering)?

How much would a recon box be?

Thanks for all the help and advice, I suppose at least it is kind of driveable for now!!

First, apologies for the blurred pictures; I took them in a bit of a hurry at the weekend.

My droparm.

post-5220-1214824917_thumb.jpg

The rubber boot isn't going to stay on that lip.

post-5220-1214824576_thumb.jpg

The metal ring:

post-5220-1214824767_thumb.jpg

This looks better (when it's finally pressed on properly)

post-5220-1214824825_thumb.jpg

post-5220-1214824864_thumb.jpg

I'd say that my drop arm has seen better days but for the price of a kit from paddock I'll give it a go. I think the kit is from Bearmach.

Hope this helps.

Though I do not need to touch the drop arm yet, as everything still seem to be OK so far, I decided to consider fabricating a suitable tool for removing it, in the future, should the need come! I did not consider the possibility of spending a lot of money buying a ready-made tool for a price very near to half of the price of a new steering box.

So I gave a look at the various bits of metal lying around in the workshop, and my eyes fell on the main bearings caps of what formerly was a 2,5 diesel engine. With a bit of angle grinding, two iron plates 10mm x 30mm and some tapping (M12 the 2 lateral bolts and M14 the central one, with a 8mm steel ball on its point), this is what I made:

post-8482-1214911552_thumb.jpgpost-8482-1214911574_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to be patient, and wait till the day comes when I'll see if this strange piece of iron will be up to the job....