Drop arm balljoint

I ordered the repair kit for the drop arm balljoint. Anyway, i've realised that the lip which holds the metal srping around the rubber boot has completely rusted out :o

Now, i'm assuming I can order this from paddocks and the balljoint will already be installed - correct? It would save me a lot of time and effort if it is!

Also is the part above the piece I need? Not sure of the variations.

thanks

Sam

I have to say that I looked with interest at this post. :D My replacement drop-arm complete with ball joint is still sitting on the shelf after the old one ate a 4 ton and 6 ton hydraulic puller. I had exactly the same symptoms, the rubber boot would not stay clipped to the bottom lip of the ball joint housing, but would it come off?....would it f@#%. If you are going to have a go, access is greatly improved if you take the driver side wheel off...and don't be tempted to put a gas torch on it to help matters as the oil seals inside the steering box dont like it much :blink: . I was informed the old one may require carefull cutting off (grinder/chisel etc.) and was directed to a great story on the LRO site of a chap who handed the complete steering box to a local engineering company. Anyway long story short they broke their only 16 ton press trying to get the arm off :lol: Good luck!

The built in balljoint / curved drop arm has given a fair bit of bother for me, mine seem to last a couple of years and are fiddly to change.

The later discoveries have a straight steering arm with a tapered hole for a regular type balljoint which sounds like a better arrangement and easier to change.

I think the arm is NTC9236 but not sure if the drag link / damper arrangement needs to be changed too?

Yes the drag link needs to be changed too. A Discovery item has to be used. As for the steering damper, just weld two pieces of flat bar to the drag link, drill a hole through them to pass the bolt through and you're done. I'll do this modification to any Defender I own. Changing ball joints becomes a doddle and removing the drop arm requires no sweat, skinned knuckles or copious amounts of swearing.

I had the same problem with the lip wearing away. The solution was pretty straight forward without having to remove the steering arm.

Using a junior hacksaw, I cut a shallow groove all the way round the section where the lip should have been. About 1mm below the top face. Find one suitably sized snap ring (from an old CV boot kit I think). Check it's a firm fit in the groove. Clean and degrease the snap ring and the end of the steering arm. Good coat of loctite and fit the snap ring to the steering arm.

It has been on 12 months / 20k miles and no problems with the ball joint boot lifting.

one more thing, using this picture from the FAQ Guide:

med_gallery_2_303_1051054.jpg

The metal ring next to the spring clip which hold the boot on, where does that go? I didn't see an old one fall out?

(Second in on the left, bottom of the picture)

I might be able to shed some light on the metal ring you are referring to.

When my drop arm balljoint went I bought a repair kit (Britpart), removed the drop arm (I must be one of the really lucky ones as it came off with a standard two legged puller) and went to fit the new balljoint. However, I found that the lip that the rubber boot fits to was missing although there was a small flange protruding from the drop arm. The rubber boot was never going to stay fitted to the flange and the kit I bought didn't a new lip. I returned the Britpart kit and bought a different one from Paddock; this one came with the ring you are referring to and I believe it presses onto the flange on the end of the drop arm so that the rubber boot has a lip to fit round.

At this point I must admit that I fitted a new drop arm complete with balljoint as I needed to get the Landrover back on the road before I got round to ordering the kit from Paddock.

I hope this makes sense. If not, since the old drop arm hasn't had the kit fitted to it I'm happy to take some pictures of the drop arm and lip if you think it would help?

Most drop arms come off quite easily once you have the knack of hitting it in exactly the right place ................. but you will need a 4ft one inch diameter steel drift, a 14lb sledge hammer, and somebody to help.............

I know for fact that Les removes them exactly the same way as I do .............. its all to do with the lugs ;)

:)

Ian

Before going to the trouble of trying to pull the arm off the steering box, I would investigate the components in the ball joint kit and check if there is something suitable to fit the top of the arm. Only requires you lift the boot a bit and measure the diameter with a vernier, then compare the bits you have.

BTW: Slacking off the nut below the drop arm by ~2 flats and then driving round has been known to free the drop arm from its splines. Not the sort of thing to be done on the Queens highway though :o