Help me back on the straight

reads90

I have been looking at a new car , as the disco is getting a bit small and old. It will be a family car and for touring around locally and aus

Been looking at a 110 . As the wife loves the 90 but there is a 4-5 months wait on the 110 . And they are AU$55,000. well you know the rest about the defender

Now been shown by a mate his new Nissan parthfinder, Diesel , better fuel ecomoy than the 110 (mmm that is displayed figures so not quite beliving that) but with the sort of interior and drive of a disco (admitedly cheap one). Has hill desent, limited slip diff, manual or auto All for AU$46,000 and no where near the waiting list of the defender

Not 100% sure that they are in the uk, so here is a pic of one

2006_nissan_pathfinder_ext_1.jpg

Help pursade me to go for the defender and not the nissan . I have had loads of land rovers in my time, and don't really want to change but need a new car and the D2 back doors are no good for putting baby in the back seat of so thats out and the D3 is just too much out of reach as i would go for the TDV6 and not the V6 or the V8 :unsure::unsure:

So also asking if anyone knows if these have any problems that crop up or if the defender has started showing problems also

Cheers

Ali

Why do you think the DII rear doors are no good for putting kids in their seats.

My mate has 3 kids in the back seats of his, no problem.

My wife and our 2 kids go in the back of the P38, no problem.

Why do you think the DII rear doors are no good for putting kids in their seats.

My mate has 3 kids in the back seats of his, no problem.

My wife and our 2 kids go in the back of the P38, no problem.

Kids or babies :blink:

They don't open wide enough and the arch makes the entrance very narrow. Tried it with a freinds D2 and he is getting rid of his because his wife gives him hell about it. Know serveral other people who have done the same. . and as for adults have you ever tried to get out of a d2 in a car park :blink:

Nothing wrong with P38 ( in that area) but i want a diesel not a v8

Ali

You are in the same boat as me, and are finding the same thing.

Land Rover don't do a decent LWB family car - well not until you get to the Disco 3 anyway.

Diesel p38a would come close, but there isn't that much boot space compare to a 110.

As for the Nissan, they are in the UK - Outlanders or something like that. They look pretty chunky. But I guess they share the same self destruct engine as the Navaro. There is a thread here about it - BullBar CowBoy may have started it.

What you need is a nice little Izusu Trooper Holden Jackaroo :lol::lol::lol:

53862_3mg.jpg

Ali

You are in the same boat as me, and are finding the same thing.

Land Rover don't do a decent LWB family car - well not until you get to the Disco 3 anyway.

Diesel p38a would come close, but there isn't that much boot space compare to a 110.

As for the Nissan, they are in the UK - Outlanders or something like that. They look pretty chunky. But I guess they share the same self destruct engine as the Navaro. There is a thread here about it - BullBar CowBoy may have started it.

What you need is a nice little Izusu Trooper Holden Jackaroo :lol::lol::lol:

53862_3mg.jpg

Cheers Andy

They never sold the Diesel P38 in Australia so thats out.

mmm Holdern Jackeroo yeah right , no thanks thats a boguns car :unsure: next you will saying i should get a prajero :lol::lol:

The parthfinder is made in spain so more than liky shares the same engine as the navaro (am i right in thinking the navaro is made in spain)

Do you need to go new Ali? What about a second hand DIII? Aren't prices getting down to your budget levels yet or is it an issue of trying to find one? Ditto 1 year old 110 (that would probably make most sense price wise as the biggest depreciation hit will be gone but you still have plenty of warranty).

Do you need to go new Ali? What about a second hand DIII? Aren't prices getting down to your budget levels yet or is it an issue of trying to find one? Ditto 1 year old 110 (that would probably make most sense price wise as the biggest depreciation hit will be gone but you still have plenty of warranty).

Will

Second hand D3 are still more than a new 110 and the wife prefers the defender As i said be fore i want a TDV6 and all that is cheap and crappy V6 D3

And a one year old 110 is the same price or more than a new one, As you can have it now and not wait for 4 months

I know that if you look at it analytically, you would buy the rice-burner. But, driving with a bag on your head can get difficult; for instance, it doesn't always turn as your head turns, so suddenly you can't see where you are going. But at least no-one you know will see you.

Buy the defender, and sod logic. What price the smile on your face whenever you get in it? :lol:

I know that if you look at it analytically, you would buy the rice-burner. But, driving with a bag on your head can get difficult; for instance, it doesn't always turn as your head turns, so suddenly you can't see where you are going. But at least no-one you know will see you.

Buy the defender, and sod logic. What price the smile on your face whenever you get in it? :lol:

mm can't argue with that, very valid point.

I seem to recall I was looking at a new Pathfinder about two years ago and you told me when you were working at the dealers that like in the UK they lose money like last years laptops

Also I like the look of them but the steering lock is carp and although the Navara which is basicly what it is, it does tow very well but the axles do suffer from problems and the engine are suposidly only any good for 100k supposidly

Although Vick has a Navara and is very very happy with it and her little one goes everywere in it no trouble and most of the lads the run them at work rearly have a bad word to say.

d2 rear doors are tiny which is a big down side so its very hard to put childern in a kiddy seat without the door being in the way

110 you already know how to fix most faults and know what they are before they happen.

I seem to recall I was looking at a new Pathfinder about two years ago and you told me when you were working at the dealers that like in the UK they lose money like last years laptops

110 you already know how to fix most faults and know what they are before they happen.

That is one thing i have to check on the nissan is what it resales for. The defender is very good

The advantage to the 110 is it runs the same size tryes as the 90 and stud pattern which means i donn't need to do anything to the camper trailer rims and tyres

Ali,

If you are used to driving the disco then you wont like the pathfinder once you have driven it ……………….the driving position is strange and the visibility to each side is poor……………

Nissan should ghave based it on the X traqil……….although the X trail is a lot smaller than the pathfinder it is a far superior car in every respect……………

However, going away from Nissans……………. Go have a look at the new Toyota FJ…………. They are getting good reviews in the states and I guess they are available in Oz. They wont be as expensive as the Defender because Toy have factories in Oz and therefore its not classed as an import. The FJ will not be available in the UK …………….. if it was, I would buy one tomorrow.

Ian

Ali,

If you are used to driving the disco then you wont like the pathfinder once you have driven it ……………….the driving position is strange and the visibility to each side is poor……………

Nissan should ghave based it on the X traqil……….although the X trail is a lot smaller than the pathfinder it is a far superior car in every respect……………

However, going away from Nissans……………. Go have a look at the new Toyota FJ…………. They are getting good reviews in the states and I guess they are available in Oz. They wont be as expensive as the Defender because Toy have factories in Oz and therefore its not classed as an import. The FJ will not be available in the UK …………….. if it was, I would buy one tomorrow.

Ian

mmm thanks for the details on the parthfinder. You are right about the driving position

As for the toyota, :rolleyes: not going to happen ,don't like them and don't like the people who drive them down here . And the toyotas are more expensive than the defenders

Guest diesel_jim

How about a LWB shogun? i've got a SWB (although driven the LWB) and with the 3.2 diesel, it pulls like a train.

they do auto and manual too. not the smoothest engine in the world, but good enough. interior isn't too tacky either, the base model (which i have) has CD, A/C,climate, 'leccy wingmirrors etc.

anything other than base model also has rear difflock, all models have center difflock some kind of traction control.

How about a LWB shogun? i've got a SWB (although driven the LWB) and with the 3.2 diesel, it pulls like a train.

they do auto and manual too. not the smoothest engine in the world, but good enough. interior isn't too tacky either, the base model (which i have) has CD, A/C,climate, 'leccy wingmirrors etc.

anything other than base model also has rear difflock, all models have center difflock some kind of traction control.

As i said before :lol:

mmm Holdern Jackeroo yeah right , no thanks thats a boguns car :unsure: next you will saying i should get a prajero :lol::lol:

Prajero AKA the shogun :)