What the value of a restored 110?

My 1988 110 CSW needs a new paint job, but before I do that I would have to replace the bulkead, doors, wiring loom, dashboard and probably other bits too once I start stripping it down!

I realise that I'll probably end up spending more tha it's restored value, but if i can get the vehicle up to scratch for say £3000, it would still be cheaper than scrapping it and paying out £10000 on a similar condition newer one

It's also got a TD lump in it (110k miles), which i know from reading the forum, some people don't like, but I don't really want to change it unless i really have to as I don't have any real problems with it at present.

Not having done anything like this before I have no idea really so any thoughts would be appreciated, what sort of money should i expect to pay for a restoration if I don't do myself? I wouldn't be able to spray it anyway. Is there anywhere in or near Dorset that i could get a professional or experienced opinion?

Thanks,

Tony.

You'll never make your money back so you need to decide for yourself if what YOU want is YOUR car restored, or if you just want a new car. Personally I think paint is over-rated for the amount it costs to spray a vehicle. Get the rollers out ;)

Despite being a bit of a trek, I'd vote for Chichester 4x4 for the work. Or invest in some tools, have a nose round the forum, and have the immense satisfaction of doing it yourself.

You'll never make your money back so you need to decide for yourself if what YOU want is YOUR car restored, or if you just want a new car. Personally I think paint is over-rated for the amount it costs to spray a vehicle. Get the rollers out ;)

Despite being a bit of a trek, I'd vote for Chichester 4x4 for the work. Or invest in some tools, have a nose round the forum, and have the immense satisfaction of doing it yourself.

So If i decide to paint it with a roller I'd probably not do all the bodywork first. The paint is flaking off, presumably from some oxidisation or something on the alluminium. Can this be stopped with a primer?

I'd love to do the work myself, but to be honest, the thought of starting it scares me half to death!!

Remove the flaking paint, rub down to bare metal for an area larger than the oxidised patch, etch prime, high build prime then paint.

Have a look at Vehicle Painting Pointers for guidance on what is involved. At the end of the day, it's a Land Rover and you could achieve a decent finish in a solid colour through taking your time and some attention to detail. Alternatively, dig deep and pay a professional.

I advise not to mess with etch primer and the like, You will need activators etc to go with it, And I dont see the need for using high build after really, you will need it etch primed if you flat to bare metal as any other primer wont stick really.

I think if you arnt experianced with painting then as has been mentioned just get the rollers out!

It can be a mine field when trying to paint yourself, I know as its my trade.

Mind you if its only a very small area of where the aluminium has corroded and I mean small then give it a good key with 400 and nothing finer, Then aerosol a patch of high build primer, Rub the rest of the vehicle with grey scotchbrite or 1200 or 800 in straight rubs with wet and dry or anyhow with the scotch, Once you have done this then stick with a very similar colour, If you can get hold of a compressor and gun with a 1.4 tip then put 2 or 3 coats of base coat on, No laquer as it gets dodgy then so stick with base coat, Drying will be a problem so you have to do it in warm weather under cover. Depending on what it looks like it probably needs mopping with different stages of compound then.

That is half way to a proffesionel job, But it depends how fussy you want to be?? I honestly think just get the rollers out, its what a lot do!! Otherwise if your going to try to do it as best you can then practise first.

You are always welcome to get intouch and I will talk you through it when the time comes. :)

Kind regards tris

I advise not to mess with etch primer and the like, You will need activators etc to go with it

Perhaps professionally yes, but you can get it in aerosols - U-Pol do it I believe, I've used it before and it works well. I think Halfrauds even sell it now, it's on a shelf by the filler etc. rather than with their own brand spray cans. Obviously not ideal for doing an entire vehicle, but for touching up the odd patch a rattle can should do nicely.

I used Barcote to prime the 109, sticks to anything and anything will stick to it. Mind you, I did also use a £14.99 electric fence sprayer to apply the paint so if you're after a factory finish I'm not the guy to ask :P although for £14.99 it came out pretty well I reckon :unsure: the whole paint job probably cost me £100.

Like many others I have spent loads of money on old lr - series in my case. Adding up the total expense it had far exceeded the resale value of the vehicle.

With a purely pragmatic head on - selling yours for £1500 and adding £4500 will get you 2000 ish TD5 110 which will be in much better conditon than yours by miles. This is a better option than getting yours refurbished.

If you fancy the challenge, (and who doesn't?) go for the diy refurb. My advice is to properly assess how much work is needed, if everything is knackered then don't bother, then to set yourself an absolute limit in money and time.

Half the fun is getting the bits at a knock down prices - second hand doors, getting the bulkhead welded not replaced, second hand dashboard etc.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I've never understood this thing of 'upgrading' your car because it is old.

You're never going to make money with cars anyway, they are moneypits.

Imagine the Defender 110 you could have, now can you use your current

vehicle as a base? Get to it then.

Imagine what those £4500 could do for the 110 you have, buying a newer one

you can still risk ending up with a lemon.

Thats a good way of looking at it, Cars etc are money pits, And if you buy another you will only end up doing the same to that eventually, What you could as suggested is build the 110 so it lasts and lasts and you wont need to change again?

It will be all your spec, A newer one might not.

As the painting etc.....Just go for it!! Listen at the very worst it might have some bits in it and wont be in your face "I have just been painted shiney" But it will look fresh and very clean and besides if it looks carp then you should try again for what it costs, Or failing that just save up for a while and get it done cheap.

Like I said it will look clean and fresh at the worst.

The best advantage really is just to be under cover ;)

tris

I nailed my colours to the mast some time ago - mine is being rebuilt at this very moment. I see this as a recycling thing, I don't need a new 110 CSW, I just need a respectable looking 110 for the next 20 years.

Pictures and blog at Land Rover Rebuild 2008

It will never be worth what I spend on it, so I'm not going to worry about it. So long as it is less than a new 110, I shall be happy.