Electronic ignition clarification

Dano

I have been reading threads about converting points to electronic ignition and I just need some clarification

I am running the standard Lucas dizzy on a S11a 2.25 engine, I don’t want any major customisation at this time i.e. mega jolt etc I just want a simple cheap conversion, there seems to be several options but I can find exactly what system I require

I have seen Les talking about a conversion, which seems to be about £70

There is a Britpart conversion which is about £10

And I have also read about a Lumenition Optronic Ignition System but don’t know if this will fit

Can anyone clarify these options for me and also tell me what model Lucas dizzy I am likely to have?

Thanks

I used to have a Lumenition Optronic kit on my IIA many years ago (when it was petrol engined) and can recommend it. That particular kit is still going strong on a mates IIA and is ~25 years old.

The big advantages were

- eliminates points , so no adjustment

- not particularly sensitive to wear in the distributor shaft or points base plate

- dwell angle scatter was virtually eliminated

- fuel consumption reduced and emissions cleaned up

- nothing to go out of adjustment once set

The ignition amplifiers do just that, and reduce the current through the points so that arcing doesn't occur. The points are still sensitive to wear in the distributor and the heel of the points so the dwell angle will have more scatter, and drift as the heel wears. But the kits are much cheaper than a Lumenition kit.

If the distributor has appreciable wear then it is probably time for a new unit - possibly the £70 conversion?

The original distributor is likely to be a Lucas 25D4.

There have been a couple of web sites which reference replacing old style Lucas distributors with modern contactless distributors out of Japanese motors. IIRC, these have been mainly for Mini's / Metro's / MGB's but there may be some info about LR's - Google should turn up something.

Thanks for the reply, I am guessing that my dizzy is ok at the moment as the dwell is stable, it did take ages to set it exactly though

Interestingly I had the idle running perfectly but I change the dizzy cap for one that looks new, but I picked up a blip every now and then, can’t explain it

Les, this is the Britpart kit http://www.britpart.co.uk/Accessory.asp?Pa...cessoryRef=1700

That Britpart kit looks to be magnetic contactless. Should work ok if it has been built and tested to an acceptable standard. Down side is that the rotor arm appears to be in unit with the magnet assembly. How does one get spares?

Hi , That s**tpart one works just fine, virtualy eliminates dwell angle scatter and gives all the benefits as listed above. My local dealer has had a few duff ones returned but reckons nearly all had iffy ign coils. I also run a lucas sports coil with it, at a tenner you can`t go very wrong. I don`t trust it so i carry points/condensor and a spare britpart unit. I must also confess to having britpart eyebrow rivets...which i do trust :)

John

that dizzy looks ok but its over £100, my maplin kit was delivered today so I just have to solder it up and Ill post on the results

One thing - I note you have a SIIa if it still has the dynamo it is most likely positive earth. The Maplin kit requires negative earth.

Check this out by looking to see which way round the battery is connected.

• 2 months later...

If you are going to mod your ign system then you need to get rid of the contact set . Go hall effect trigger or optical as these give you a much better build time for the spark , you can further improve with a better coil. Carry your old bits as a back up although they are normally both very reliable . fme :)