Tow ropes

as les sead the rope is fine but the shackles and hooks would not take the 10 1/2ton load that the rope will

i use one of these

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_ROAD/R...IAL_OFFER).html

The two ropes shown in these posts have very different uses.

The first is Rope for towing.

The second is platted for Kinetic Recovery (snatching) with high loading on all of the relevant parts (Crossmember, Tow hitch rope etc.)

This may well turn in to a bun fight about snatch (ooh err) recovery!

Stands back and waits :P

Marc.

Could anyone offer me an opinion on a tow rope please?

Is this reasonable value and quality?

Any info gratefully received.

Stephen

Agree with ^^^, the type of tow rope also depends on what you would want to use it for. For normal towing the rope should be fine if used within its load capacity range ...... the shackles showed there looks dodgy if used for anything larger than a shopping trolley. Recovering a bogged down vehicle requires slightly different equipment .... as said, not sure what you have in mind for the rope. :)

^^^

EVERYTHING they said, plus on one of those it shows a rope with steel inserts inside the eyes of the rope - also a No No as this makes for weight and dmage and danger if and when it breaks,

IMHO ALL recovery ropes whatever we are using them for (and we are in soft skinned 4x4s not armour plated stuff :) ) should be "Soft" to reduce impact dmage and less madd for impact force

Fill in your pofile ie where you are - it may help many give you advice now and later :)

Nige

I would not recomend the rope posted in the first post for the reasons stated, plus the fact that it appears to be made of polypropylene. Whilst strong, polypropylene is a 'dead' rope.

This means they have no stretch at all. These are fine for on road recovery, and gentle straight line pulls, but they are very uncomfortable to use on uneven ground/offroad, and are much more likely to do damage to a towing point.

I would recomend a nylon rope. A standard nylon recovery rope will have a small percentage of stretch, around 10% or so. These are MUCH better, in that they take out the painful and harsh jerking that can occur with a 'Dead' rope. These should NOT be confused with a KERR.

A KERR or Kinetic energy recovery rope has about 30% stretch and whilst very effective, I would NOT recommend one as your FIRST rope. Used safely, they are very good.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff