Keeping 200tdi running without key

Hi,

I want to be able to start my 200tdi defender with the key (don't we all!), press a switch, which then allows me to remove the key without the enjoy turning off. I want to do this so I can leave it running while I work but be able to lock the doors and let the steering lock come on.

I think all I need to do is put a permanent power to the fuel cut off solenoid or switch the ignition so all the key does is turn the starter motor.

I know this is done in police land rovers. Anyone know what the best way to do this is? I need to consider my insurance as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I want to be able to start my 200tdi defender with the key (don't we all!), press a switch, which then allows me to remove the key without the enjoy turning off. I want to do this so I can leave it running while I work but be able to lock the doors and let the steering lock come on.

I think all I need to do is put a permanent power to the fuel cut off solenoid or switch the ignition so all the key does is turn the starter motor.

I know this is done in police land rovers. Anyone know what the best way to do this is? I need to consider my insurance as well.

Thanks in advance.

You need a run lock system as fitted to most blue light service vehicles... like this one:

RUN LOCK

Matt

I think both the police and your insurance company might want to say something about this! I thought it was against the law to leave the engine running on a public highway (I think the term is 'quitting')

However, if it is purely on private land, it's probably a different kettle of fish.

I've managed to do this accidentally.

It only takes a small current and remakably low voltage to keep the stop solenoid open.

I was charging a 7.2v nicad via a charger in the ciggy lighter.

Turned the ignition off and the engine kept running!

So, I guess, if you purposely backfeed 12v into the ciggy lighter on a lead you could keep the engine running untill you pull the connector out.

Tie the lead to the doors so if you open them it pulls the plug and voila... security feature

I don't know about the police or insurance but it would be very simple to do. Splice a permanent live into the fuel solenoid supply via a switch. The switch is off in normal use but if you want to leave it running, switch to on and then off with the ignition switch. Engine will continue to run.

This assumes of course that you don't have an alarm system fitted.

HTH

Mo

you can do this in mine, not sure if its by design or wear. cant have the steering lock on though as i dont have one. my ignition uses the same key as the doors, which i don't think is usual for older land rovers and you can remove the key from the 'on' setting on the ignition so the engine stays running, which is handy if you have forgotten to unlock the tailgate. to switch off, reinsert key and turn off. i think you can switch off with anything that turns the barell, but they key must be used to switch on (thankfully). have tried other keys and they don't work so the barrel can't be that worn

my old 306 used to do this when it wanted to

I have read a few max power magazines in my time, and i think what your looking for is a turbo timer.

This allows you to remove the key and keep the engine running for a predetermined time, used by people with huge turbos to cool the engine after a thrashing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer

not sure what your insurance company would say

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Find the cable running from fuel solenoid on high pressure pump. Fit a (hidden) three way switch. Normal setting would be to have the fuel solenoid to follow key setting (ignition supply), second setting would be permanent supply from battery positive (remember a fuse - as close to the battery as possible, Third setting would be "blind" / non-connected, so as to act as an instant stop or simple anti-theft device. Quite simple, actually...

As someone before said, it's called quitting. £30 non endorsable ticket IIRC if you're unlucky.

Ahem...

Regulation 107 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates an offence of leaving a motor vehicle unattended without switching off the engine and applying the parking brake.

107(1) No person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set, unless exempted by paragraph (2).

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle:

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or in England fire and rescue authority or police purposes; or

(b ) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to:

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

[/boring trafficky rubbish]

Emergency services vehicles have a push button which allows the engine to stay running but the key to be removed. Pressing the brake pedal or the clutch kills the engine. On our old vehicles it was possible to lock the doors witht he run lock engaged, but on the newer ones you can't :rolleyes:

Commercial kits are available for about £70. Can't remember where from though. Would be easy enough to wire up with a posh relay that maintained power to the soleniod until 12v came from something else, like the brake light switch. Remember that some ignition dependant circuits might not work and would need fettling.

As someone before said, it's called quitting. £30 non endorsable ticket IIRC if you're unlucky.

Ahem...

Regulation 107 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates an offence of leaving a motor vehicle unattended

What's the definition of 'unattended' - how far away do you have to be to have left the vehicle un-attended.....

Cheers guys.

cutting it off with the brake pedal is a great idea. I'm on with it now.

Not planning on doing this on public land. main use would be warming her up on the drive then when i'm working in my field. Mrs Vodester is a peeler so she'd be right on to that!!!

may well be posting soon for help starting it when I've fudged this up!

Thanks again!

It looks like section 2 of reg 107 is a good bypass anyway, if the parking brake is on there is no danger to others, and if you need to run vehicle mounted machinery (pto, winch or something) then its allowed anyways. Apart from which you'd have to get a cop on a bad day for them to notice, let alone bother doing anything unless you leave it in the middle lane of a motorway!