Wading has caused smelly Air Con

pugwash

The local garage here use something they call an air-conditioning bomb for when people have left the air-con off for a long time and mould etc. has grown inside making it smell rank.

Afraid I don't know what the products is but hopefully you wil be able to find something to put into the vents to neutralise the aroma....

Neil

add something that smells nice to it, the HVAC guys use a system deoderant when they service ours, choice of "mountain breeze" or "summer meadow"

oddly they didnt have EP90 or workshop :unsure:

or just live with it, mouse stinks and Im not sure if thats swamp or just Kim...

Guest WALFY
After a bit of wading sessions at 7S i seem to have got water in the air con system and now it smells whenevr i turn it on!

how do i get rid of the smell without stripping the car down?

Puggers. If you PM Mrs Walfy she can ask 1 of the engrs at wrk. She's a PA at a HVAC company in Bath. They would know of what's avail and where.

Hi,

I work at a BMW main dealer. We have these problems sometimes, and it is a recognised problem, as BMW do a special foam that the tecchies inject into the air-con inlet to clean it out. It works... I've used it on my bird's BMW that developed the same problem. Does cost a bit though...BMW!!!!

An alternative method that the service advisors recommend for Minis that develop the same problem (more cheapskate than BMW drivers!!), is to run the air-con on max fan speed, air-con on, temp turned to max, and re-circ turned on, make sure you have plenty of fuel in the car, jump out and leave it for an hour or so. Should blast out any nasty niffs!

Effortless

thanks for replies guys.

i changed my socks which didn't help.

Can't do the leave the car running for an hour- i'd be bankrupt!

quite like the idea of an air con Bomb though- will have to go and hunt one down and see what happens!

:lol:

You have most prob managed to get something that now is stinking the entire area, you may well find this would take a 'long time'.. (not as in love you long time :P ) to go, and also should you "redip" it ......it sort of may reoccur ....as it is re hydrated ...

It might sound weird, ....even a wind up (which it is NOT), ....but go find at some Drive round day / event with some deep but CLEANISH water..... and go re-wading to wash out what is in there

Gawd knows what my mate picked up a while back in his RR but it was like a dead animal smell when the A/C went on, passengers gagged and windows opened, he turned up at hogmoor and went a swimmin in the lake, and now all is loverley :)

Worth a punt maybe ?

Nige

Air con systems are well known for bacteria build ups that lead to them smelling like fish. We use Forte (im sure other manufacturers do a similar thing) Air con treatment which you just press the top down, Chuck it in the foot well and close the car up for 5 mins with the air con running on Recirculate. Works a treat, Kills the bacteria and smells of apples for a few days. When the apples disappear all is well again.

Was reading this yesterday with interest as our Focus aircon stinks, so I popped into Halfords on my way past today and picked up an aircon bomb for £11.99 they're in a blue box and made by Comma.

You basically switch the aircon on full and recirculate, then activate the can and close the doors, leave it till it stops spraying, then wait 5 mins, then turn the engine off and open all the doors.

It sucks the air in from the passenger foot well

I've just done it tonight so will let you know soon if it worked or not.

Was reading this yesterday with interest as our Focus aircon stinks, so I popped into Halfords on my way past today and picked up an aircon bomb for £11.99 they're in a blue box and made by Comma.

You basically switch the aircon on full and recirculate, then activate the can and close the doors, leave it till it stops spraying, then wait 5 mins, then turn the engine off and open all the doors.

It sucks the air in from the passenger foot well

I've just done it tonight so will let you know soon if it worked or not.

SNAP :D

same product- we'l give it a group test as i had two vehices to use it on including the truck.

Could have saved a bit by using Klimpure from a local motor factors at £7.96

So far so good with the Comma one, went for a drive this morning and it smelt nice, but it is still smelling of the fragrance of the spray so it'll be interesting to see if it stays smelling nice once the fragrance has worn off.

If I'd know everyone else was going to buy some I'd have left it til after you'd all said how it performed :lol: