Howlin' Wolf Round 5

najw

Bet Saleys boots an pants were nice and dry, :rolleyes:

I had 2 washing bowls full of mix from front diff,

two and a half full from engine sump, few mods to dipstick tube required,

about 2 gallons of water plus 3 gallons of petrol out of tank, its cured the missfire/popping,

the breather from the tank was to low, so can only presume it's drawn it in as it emptied,

thought Sunday it's doing good on juice, didn't realise it's turned into a steam engine,

not yet done transfer box or rear axle, but auto box was good,

both Recaro's hum, no, really hum, can smell em in the house, but she's not figured it out yet!!!

Cannot wait for next round, luv it. :D

Having organised my first comp at the begining of the month then walking round tidying up afterwards I'm seriously considering using steel posts to mark out sections as this will hopefuly make some people think a little harder about when to stop.

I know on the next one I'm going to tell the marshals to come down hard on offenders as we were quite leanient. The guys who won pretty much stuck to the rules and didn't really moan when I gave them a penalty.

I have to say 95% of the competitors I have met do stick to the rules, but I have seen the lean over the tape job and I just don't understand that. tape is there for a reason and it's the same for everyone.

I always thought that the idea was to build a truck and push it to the limit not see how far your arm will streach. surly you find that out when your trying to change your starter motor or reach the reverse ligth switch you for got to put on when you changed the box.

Its a bit like a trial Mr T,

do you really want to set some mega hard section out, then put a steel post in there to spear a competitor when they roll or similar on it, it's not Gladiators you know.

Boothy, short arm.

Its a bit like a trial Mr T,

do you really want to set some mega hard section out, then put a steel post in there to spear a competitor when they roll or similar on it, it's not Gladiators you know.

Boothy, short arm.

Twiggy, didn't you see a team cheat at the badchallenge on punch number 3 they didn't drive the section just along the fence at the top of the hill and over the tape just forgot who you said it was :blink:

I knew ther was one but nobody stepped forward to let me know. as for the steel posts it's a not going to happen but it shows my anger at some peoples blatent disrigard for how hard we worked to set it out and how hard you worked to do it right.

The best events I ever entered were Jim's JBS winch challenges. Virgin sites most of the time and plenty of

technical sections, yes they do take a lot of setting up but it beats hide and seek and simple winch in, punch,

winch out carp.

Must admit i dont think i have ever done a challenge as good as them.

We found i hard last weekend just not enought ground clearance but i dont think it was just us everyone seemed to have a low punch count.

Can there not be a few more punches layed out that are hard but not in sections then there is no rope to run over because it's does make you think why do we bother competing.

Having followed this thread with interest, mainly on the subject of deep water I have finally realized just what my objection is!

Deep water is the only obstacle an organiser can use that discriminates against certain competitors with a penalty of potential high cost. Water also hides the terrain and potentially dangerous ledges. Try getting out of an upturned vehicle while wearing a full harness, crash helmet, wet weather clothing which happens to be in deep muddy water.

It’s not something you can practice, are there suitably equipped and trained marshals at deep water sections? Could the organiser not be guilty of neglect in the event of an unfortunate accident if the risk has not been assessed?

Yes, this is an extreme scenario and the last thing we want is to have to wear 18” of cotton wool under Kevlar just in case of scratchy thorns!

A site should offer enough challenges without deep water. I believe 3’ is deep enough and I can keep my ar$e dry at the samr time!

Tight courses, long deep mud, steep climbs, tight gaps between trees, side slopes, long distances, navigation and even big rocks all carry a penalty for competitors in varying degrees. This penalty is not overly financial it is a penalty of time.

Having followed this thread with interest, mainly on the subject of deep water I have finally realized just what my objection is!

Deep water is the only obstacle an organiser can use that discriminates against certain competitors with a penalty of potential high cost. Water also hides the terrain and potentially dangerous ledges. Try getting out of an upturned vehicle while wearing a full harness, crash helmet, wet weather clothing which happens to be in deep muddy water.

It’s not something you can practice, are there suitably equipped and trained marshals at deep water sections? Could the organiser not be guilty of neglect in the event of an unfortunate accident if the risk has not been assessed?

Yes, this is an extreme scenario and the last thing we want is to have to wear 18” of cotton wool under Kevlar just in case of scratchy thorns!

A site should offer enough challenges without deep water. I believe 3’ is deep enough and I can keep my ar$e dry at the samr time!

Tight courses, long deep mud, steep climbs, tight gaps between trees, side slopes, long distances, navigation and even big rocks all carry a penalty for competitors in varying degrees. This penalty is not overly financial it is a penalty of time.

I think that this issue has been blown out of all proportion.

The guy that hydrauliced his motor did it because he drove the deepest way in to the punch, if his nav had walked the section he'd have found a way in that had less than 24" of water.

As regards hidden obsticles and underwater ledges, thats what the nav is for.

There is no excuse for damaging your car in water, poor prep, poor nav'ing or poor driver disretion can be the only reasons for damage.

as part of the set up team for this and other courses we all ways walk to were the cyber point. i think on saturday set up the lad who voluntered to do the wading was only wet up to 6in above his waist so like DD said look be for you leap.

I admit I was not at this event and I admit to making assumptions as to the depth of the water but if the deepest water was 3' then that appears acceptable.

I would suggest that when setting out, any ledges or shelves leading to dangerous deep water can be marked by the setting out team while they are investigating

the rout to the punch?

No, the deepest water was not 3 feet, the punch at the far end of the site on an island was far deeper than that, approached from any angle and my co-driver waded it at chest height from all different routes and he's over 6ft tall, see Simon's photo's.

There were post's from various people all week boasting of how deep the water was, and the weather was no suprise either it had been forecasted all week, that's the reason why I went cheap hotel instead of tent (soft ar*e).

If 30% of the 40 punches were in water that is possibly deep and were ignored by competitors, which is their option, and as Neil clearly states at the drivers brief "don't attempt anything that you or your vehicle are not capable of", then the remaining punches with the possible entry of up to 40 vehicles are going to be rather crowded, and some tempers will not doubt be frayed, especially with some of the more shall we say, enthusiatic teams.

I personally enjoy the water, even though it's costly in oil changes and damage to components etc, any LR axle will inevitably take in water no matter how good seals and breathers are, but thats known beforehand, wet through seats dry in summer but stink in winter, electrical problems can be overcome, but starters and alternators don't like it.

Water can be a very expensive place to play, let alone the obvious dangers as Paul clearly states.

I always take off my harness when entering water or mush of any depth and do always tell any Marshalls around the reasons why and put in straight back on afterwards.

Little bit of water is great fun, great for spectators and photo's but Kirton was a bit excessive on all counts i'm afraid Gents.

Accept a bit of light friendly critisism and keep up the normally fantanstic work that you do,

I'm pleased to compete with you, and think the standard of punches is normally spot on, and thank you for what you do to enable these comps to take place, but do try to keep seats dry please if only for the wife's sake.

See you next one, if I'm allowed out again.

Boothy

Costructive feedback is always welcome. Everyone I have spoken to after the event said how much they enjoyed themselves. If by having a little less deep water everyone can enjoy themselves even more next then year even better, and thats my personal challenge.

As for my personnal opinion - I HATE KIRTON MUD. Its the best grinding paste known to man and sets like concrete if not washed off immediately!!!!!

Costructive feedback is always welcome. Everyone I have spoken to after the event said how much they enjoyed themselves. If by having a little less deep water everyone can enjoy themselves even more next then year even better, and thats my personal challenge.

Well said!

It DOES make a difference when organisers listen to opinions and competitors and not just go on the defensive.

After all, it is Neil and Co's event and we have the choice to enter of not but tuning the format and challenges to suit the majority has to be a good thing.

As for my personnal opinion - I HATE KIRTON MUD. Its the best grinding paste known to man and sets like concrete if not washed off immediately!!!!!

I can vouch for that, didnt manage to wash the truck off till thursday so had set like concrete. Was a fantastic event and the punchs were excellent. Water was a little deep in places but after sending the bitch in routes were found around 3-4ft deep.

I can safely say that a lot more penalties were given out at Kirton than previously.

There are many ways to try and stop competitors cheating but budget and manpower severely constrain what can be done. Thus the only quick solution is to rely on you chaps, the competitors to name and shame. You cover more ground and know the rules just as well as the marshalls. No its not a nice thing to do but if it will improve the series then it has to be done.

There have been some very interesting comments posted and I am sure Neill will be working to try and impliment some of them where possible.

The marshalls do have a thankless job and it is appreciated when they are recognised for their work, but they do it for their love of 4x4 vehicles and to watch some impressive pieces of kit in action, and not for money or fame.

Thus I look forward to seeing you all at West Harptree and hope that the 'cheating' will come to an end!

First time at Kirton and Marshalling (hence I was a bit more of a "Hammer this peg in there" & a taxi than a full marshal).

Fully enjoyed the whole weekend, even getting rained on and scowled at :D. Bit far for me West Harptree but going to Tong for certain.

Got far too many idea's for my own truck over the weekend, just need to win the Lottery now <_<.

Cheers

Matt