Challenge Wings - Legality Const & Use regs...MOT etc etc

I work with a guy who occasionally did vehicle inspections when he worked for the DVLA.

He was told where to find chassis numbers, Vin plates and engine numbers etc, but has absolutely no vehicle training or for that matter interest in cars.

He works for the same company as me now as a bean counter, at the DVLA he worked behind the counter doing things like tax, logbooks, cherished plates etc.

Not very consistent me'thinks.

Evening All,

If I could just intervien, ....if I could just squeeze through and move some of these small teddies aside :lol: and just come through here - thanks - yep and just - oh thanks.....ah ha here I am back in the thread - so, er - I would just like to maybe drag this topic by the hair screaming back to the original post around 'challenge front wings' :rofl::P if thats ok with you all ?

WHO THREW THAT ???? :lol:

OK.......

I have an update from the DVLA, and its neutral if not maybe positive.

I have had an in depth e-mail, which has covered a raft of things and has asked for some very specific and detailed responses from them - I have done this and wait the reply back.

Again they have been very reasonable and helpfull, and I hope to have an update around the legality and more importantly maybe what would... and would not... be okay 'challenge wing' stylee

Thats all from me, .......may the squabbling recommence shortly...Excuse me............. coming through :P

Nige :lol:

Nige - only one thing I can say to that post:

noidea.jpg

Seriously, though, glad it looks like you'll be getting a definitive answer shortly.

White90/Andy - technically I think you are probably breaching the rules as the jacking points are welded (rather than bolted) to the ends of the chassis rails and you also reduce the overall length of the chassis. However, they are non structural and you are removing such a small part I think you would be unbelievably unlucky to ever have issues with the law or your insurance company. I honestly wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Steve, bad luck but it does sound like you're not far off getting the ticket B)

P.S. Steve and Fridge you a dead right - the law is an ass! Its also not helped by the slightly grey boundaries. At least if you go down the SVA route it gives you a truck you know is legal at the start of an event and can be modified to an extent (as a standard car can be) and will still be well withn the law.

Hi All,

well, it really does pay sometimes to ask...........

Enclosed below is my e-mail and the replies back and forth,

I have removed the full e-mail of the individuals I have been in conversation with for obvious reasons,

but here is the 'definative' on "Challenge Wings".................. :blink:

"Good Morning XXXXX,

Thankyou for you help so far, as I explained I have a 1985 Land Rover 90 V8, and I am thinking, (note thinking not done yet !!), of making the modification to the land Rover I discussed with you at length !.

http://www.northoffroad.co.uk/challengewings.pdf

My Land Rover is 1985, MOT'd Tax'd etc, and used both on and off road, when off road destroying what wereperfect wings when I started is now beyond counting, and the cost is high too, hence my thoughts re fitting the "Challenge Wings" so as to aviod this, but I want to be sure I will not have issues 'legaly'. I have spoken to my insurance company, they are ok with it, hence my call to VOSA, and then DVLA and now directed to yourself by them both.

Please note that on my Land Rover I also have "Side Repeater" indicators in the sides of both wings, and these would be fitted which I don't think they show in the picture in the link below, I may (if I get an OK from your dept) fit the ones shown, or may make something very similar, I do understand I need to ensure the lights hieght / width etc meet MOT dimensions, but would be grateful for some guidance re the idea generally ?

There would be no modifications to the chassis, but I do belive a bracket is welded onto the chassis to support the font loop as it comes to the middle on each side

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing back from you in due course

Regards

Nigel"

The Reply :

"Nigel

I have been asked to reply.

The mentioned modification appears to contravene Construction and Use Regulations and is therefore not permitted.

From the picture, it appears that the tyres are not properly covered by the body, therefore stones and water will be thrown up and hit other traffic (when vehicle is used on the public roads). That is illegal under C&U rules on 'wings'. (another name for mudguards/wheelguards). Wings are required, to catch anything thrown up by the wheels.

Regards

xxxxx

xxxxx.xxxxx@dft.gsi.gov.uk "

Reply Back :

"Hello xxxxxxx,

Thanks for the swift reply, yes I can see your thoughts here - that makes sense.

So, if I was to also fit the 'Land Rover 90' type arches onto these wings so that the wheels / tyres were properly covered so as not to contravene C&U regulations and fitted the side repeater indicator lights as per normal this would then be allowable ?

Look forward to your thoughts

Nigel"

Reply :

"xxxxx.xxxxx@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 10:19 AM

Subject: Re: Fwd: Land Rover 90 Modification

Nigel

Yes. If you fit arches to cover the wheels and tyres (correctly), and side repeaters, that would be allowed.

This is classed as a minor modification so no need to notify anyone else.

xxxxxxx"

:) :) :) :) :)

There you go all :)

I would suggest this thread maybe destined for the Tech Forum,

as such it would / will be heavily pruned to bring contents back to relevance, but all in all some brilliant news (well for me at least :P:lol: )

From my chats you will also need to ensure the lights positions for both main dip indicators and running / side lights are to C&U specs etc

so don't just go nuts and get it wrong when its so easy to get so close to it being OK :)

Nige

From the picture, it appears that the tyres are not properly covered by the body, therefore stones and water will be thrown up and hit other traffic (when vehicle is used on the public roads). That is illegal under C&U rules on 'wings'. (another name for mudguards/wheelguards). Wings are required, to catch anything thrown up by the wheels.

Daft question perhaps, but which picture in the PDF are they referring to? i can't help but think that they took the lower left picture (during fitting) and not the lower right. ?