Bluetooth security

ThreeSheds

A question to the learned please:

Is it possible to wire in a Bluetooth device so that (say) the fuel pump is disabled unless it's 'connected' to my mobile phone? Obviously a hidden-switch bypass would be advisable, but I thought it would be a really nice automatic no-brain immobiliser...

Cheers,

Roger

Yes, but not exactly straight forward.

you would want the device to be non-discoverable with a good pin to be of use. You would also want it to control a voltage o/p.

The device to activate it would need some custom code written, probably java so it worked on more than one phone.

all good so far

but what happens if your phone loses connection or the battery runs out? Your LR will turn off, sounds dangerous to be honest, which is why I wouldn't produce the device as described.

(added) I suppose you could use some kind of latching process so that once the engine is on, even if the phone loses connection the engine would stay alive.

you could use the bluetooth as a blipper, so you connect and tell it to turn on the pump, this locks in until you send an off message. But there are simpler solutions than that using bog standard RF links I reckon.

If you wanted it to automatically work as you approach the program on the phone would need to run all the time, it would be doing the discovery process every few mins and wear your battery down a lot (I've worked on software that had that issue).

Kind of a nice idea, but safety and other issues make it a bit wobbly for me.

OK, obviously there are issues - but I don't think it's a particularly silly idea!

If I were going to build one, I'd buy a hands free kit which lights an LED when connected then use the power for the LED to engage a latching relay. I'd use the hands-free kit as a hands free kit (so it doesn't particularly matter if it's visible - who is going to think "I bet if I connect my phone, the engine will start"?).

To make an ordinary relay latch, power the coil through one of the relay contacts. The relay coil is powered briefly by the LED, then as soon as the contacts close, the coil will stay powered regardless of what the LED does. When the ignition is switched off, the relay looses power and opens the contacts until the LED comes on again.

Si

Is it possible to wire in a Bluetooth device so that (say) the fuel pump is disabled unless it's 'connected' to my mobile phone? Obviously a hidden-switch bypass would be advisable, but I thought it would be a really nice automatic no-brain immobiliser...

Cheers,

Roger

Great idea, but use an RFID reader instead.

Then use a gsm/gps connection for tracking and active control... speaking to the thief through the loudspeakers and shutting off the engine. Adding a high output microwave antenna to fry the brain on the thief is optional. All of it can be made pretty simple...

Or fit one of these Roger http://www.thatchamsecurity.co.uk/aftermar...tion/kosran.htm

Used sucesfully by most of the plant industry to kerb machine theft , They are good and very hardwearing , Ideal for a Land Rover.

Looks great for my 200tdi Disco - but as soon as the V8 is MoT'd the Disco is going anyway - I was thinking of the Range Rover when I posed the question.

Another thought has just occurred though - based on Simon's latching relay idea - how about using something that a thief would not normally do to latch the relay on - like a quick headlight flash for example? Since it's raining and welding is out of the question, I may well give this a go today during my 2 hours of allocated fun-time...

Cheers,

Roger

Or how about using your 12v remote antenna out feed to drive a starter isolating and latching relay from a face off stereo, this way unless thiefy had your face from radio the engine wouldnt't start. Not as complicated as bluetusk and means you dont forget your tunes. :P

Course it would have to be a loud enough stereo to be any good in the first place. :rolleyes:

cue scene from last of the summer wine with wesley and heavy metal. :P

Pete